Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 PM

279 posts, read 517,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's stupid. People can share, or live in slightly less desirable areas. No one needs to live in a central, prime area.

I made 50k the first year I moved to NYC, and I was fine. Never had any money problems.
I know. You would think there was no place to live outside of Manhattan, and everyone is earning 200,000 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
150K to live alone in a trendy neighborhood is probably about right. If you have kids however, god help you...
So either live in a less trendy area or make more money.

Duh!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Taxes will take away 40%, rent will take another 15-20%, food is another 7-8%, there's maybe ~20% of disposable income left.

Not much to get ahead, a 4-6 months layoff could mean getting kicked out of nyc.
No one can be kicked out of NYC. A person who bails out of NYC after a layoff clearly wasn't from here and wasn't established here.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:48 PM

94 posts, read 213,698 times
When you say NYC are you referring the the 5 Boroughs or Manhattan? There are quite a few places to live in the 5 boroughs on half of that salary. If people would learn to cut corners and save a little more... I don't know why so many people come out of college these days with over $100k in loan debt (and in some extreme cases $200k) and want to live in the trendiest places.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:00 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,134,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx1968 View Post
When you say NYC are you referring the the 5 Boroughs or Manhattan? There are quite a few places to live in the 5 boroughs on half of that salary. If people would learn to cut corners and save a little more... I don't know why so many people come out of college these days with over $100k in loan debt (and in some extreme cases $200k) and want to live in the trendiest places.

It's the entitlement generation.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx1968 View Post
NYC as in Manhattan. Given the fact that most people are only earning $40k a year or less, it should be evident that people are living here on far less than $120k a year.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM

103 posts, read 161,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's stupid. People can share, or live in slightly less desirable areas. No one needs to live in a central, prime area.

I made 50k the first year I moved to NYC, and I was fine. Never had any money problems.
How's it stupid? Sharing an apartment isnt living alone. Living in less desirable areas involves compromise, which means you aren't meeting the min.. income amount to live wherever you want in the city.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM

94 posts, read 213,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
It's the entitlement generation.
LOL Sad but True

Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
How's it stupid? Sharing an apartment isnt living alone. Living in less desirable areas involves compromise, which means you aren't meeting the min.. income amount to live wherever you want in the city.
Yeah and? How many millions of people don't live in Manhattan and aren't living in poverty and have their own residence? This Manhattan centric nonsense makes me want to barf. The city is overrated. Most of it is dirty, loud, overrun with tourists and hipsters and other obnoxious people. Hanging out there is okay, but living there? I'll pass. Give me the suburbs in Westchester any day of the week. Plenty of expensive areas there and people not shacking up with roommates.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM

103 posts, read 161,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
Yeah and? How many millions of people don't live in Manhattan and aren't living in poverty and have their own residence? This Manhattan centric nonsense makes me want to barf. The city is overrated. Most of it is dirty, loud, overrun with tourists and hipsters and other obnoxious people. Hanging out there is okay, but living there? I'll pass. Give me the suburbs in Westchester any day of the week. Plenty of expensive areas there and people not shacking up with roommates.
why enter a thread about NYC then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City