Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:07 AM

279 posts, read 521,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrionaBump View Post
Thanks 'On The Avenue!' Its sounds terrible but I really want to immerse myself in the US way of life, I obviously do wish to be around Irish People too so I'll totally keep that in mind, thank you! I'm just conscious of the high number of Irish J1 students over at the moment so I really don't want to be classified as the same party going lover as they can be often associated as!
lol! Well what sort of profession are you currently in if I may ask? The economy in Ireland isn't great these days (I know as I keep tabs on what's going on over there and go back and forth to Europe living there off and on). If you're in finance for example and can get someone to sponsor you then you may be all set. It's important to know what type of job you'll be able to land so that you know realistically what you can afford here, and some areas of Queens while not as expensive as Manhattan can still be pricey for someone just starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 10,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
lol! Well what sort of profession are you currently in if I may ask? The economy in Ireland isn't great these days (I know as I keep tabs on what's going on over there and go back and forth to Europe living there off and on). If you're in finance for example and can get someone to sponsor you then you may be all set. It's important to know what type of job you'll be able to land so that you know realistically what you can afford here, and some areas of Queens while not as expensive as Manhattan can still be pricey for someone just starting out.
Exactly! I'm getting worried when I'm considering $800 cheap for rent, when I'm paying €220 at the moment! I'm qualified in Business and HR with experience in Marketing/Business Admin and International Education so I'm hoping to get something along those lines! I have a sponsor for 1 year on the visa I have already, so its just a case of a job now!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Exactly! I'm getting worried when I'm considering $800 cheap for rent, when I'm paying €220 at the moment! I'm qualified in Business and HR with experience in Marketing/Business Admin and International Education so I'm hoping to get something along those lines! I have a sponsor for 1 year on the visa I have already, so its just a case of a job now!
Just be prepared to pay more than $800 in any of the neighborhoods in Queens. I would imagine something like $1,300 would be necessary for a studio or a one bedroom in Sunnyside or Woodside and $1,500 is more likely in Astoria or Forest Hills. Meanwhile in Woodlawn, you may actually be able to find something around $900 - 1,000, though there won't be much. Woodlawn is in the Bronx, which has a stigma overall for being dangerous and suffering from crime problems, but the neighborhood itself is perfectly safe (one of the few in the Bronx that are safe and low in crime) and is one of the best areas of the Bronx (a solid middle class area), especially with its location. Lots of pubs along Katonah Avenue, and more shops just over the border along McLean Avenue. It is rather isolated (all the way at the end of the Bronx boarding Yonkers in Westchester) and far (there is no subway in the immediate area, but there is a Metro-North stop that gets you into Manhattan quickly and they have a commuter bus). I'm in the area regularly. It's very charming and there's really a sense of community. You have Van Cortlandt Park right there (the biggest park in the Bronx, which is bigger than Central Park). The people are very friendly and will strike up a conversation very easily.

Aside from Irish and Irish Americans, the neighborhood also has Italian Americans and to a lesser extent, some German Americans.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 10,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
Just be prepared to pay more than $800 in any of the neighborhoods in Queens. I would imagine something like $1,300 would be necessary for a studio or a one bedroom in Sunnyside or Woodside and $1,500 is more likely in Astoria or Forest Hills. Meanwhile in Woodlawn, you may actually be able to find something around $900 - 1,000, though there won't be much. Woodlawn is in the Bronx, which has a stigma overall for being dangerous and suffering from crime problems, but the neighborhood itself is perfectly safe (one of the few in the Bronx that are safe and low in crime) and is one of the best areas of the Bronx (a solid middle class area), especially with its location. Lots of pubs along Katonah Avenue, and more shops just over the border along McLean Avenue. It is rather isolated (all the way at the end of the Bronx boarding Yonkers in Westchester) and far (there is no subway in the immediate area, but there is a Metro-North stop that gets you into Manhattan quickly and they have a commuter bus). I'm in the area regularly. It's very charming and there's really a sense of community. You have Van Cortlandt Park right there (the biggest park in the Bronx, which is bigger than Central Park). The people are very friendly and will strike up a conversation very easily.

Aside from Irish and Irish Americans, the neighborhood also has Italian Americans and to a lesser extent, some German Americans.
Thank you SO much! This is so helpful!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you SO much! This is so helpful!
All of the Queens neighborhoods are equally charming, but they are pricier, as is much of Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: