Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM

134 posts, read 507,273 times

Advertisements

So is Pelham Parkway a good area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
So is Pelham Parkway a good area?
Yeah, it's a decent area.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM

242 posts, read 926,947 times
Area is mostly hispanic some blacks with a few albanians. Pretty poor neighborhood, though Arthur Avenue is still a major tourist attraction, with excellent restaurants.
Not too many italians, maybe few that are puertorican/italian.

The hispanic makeup seems to be dominican, puerto rican with a growing mexican presence.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Is the neighborhood pretty decent?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Belmont? Meh, you won't get murdered there because the cops keep the area on lockdown as a result of the tourists and good restaurants.

I wouldn't want to live there though. You walk a couple of blocks off of Arthur Ave and the neighborhood turns trashy real quick.

I think a lot of things have changed since you left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
Is the neighborhood pretty decent?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
The area is alright..it has alot of resturants and amenities, and is very walkable to just about everything, including the Metro North on Fordham rd. It has tree-lined streets, outdoor cafes, and small parks. It feels good walking around there..and the Fordham students add some vitality also.

The area seems alot more Hispanic than it has ever been, but it does not seem run down or ghetto. I am glad there are no more angry/bitter/bored/immature/misguided (take your pick) Italians with baseball bats...hopefully those days are over and long gone (and I am not one of the many on here that long for the racially divided days of hostility, turf battles, and blatant hatred/segregation). I suspect you would enjoy the area quite a bit...it has alot of the good things the Bronx is known for.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Belmont? Meh, you won't get murdered there because the cops keep the area on lockdown as a result of the tourists and good restaurants.

I wouldn't want to live there though. You walk a couple of blocks off of Arthur Ave and the neighborhood turns trashy real quick.

I think a lot of things have changed since you left.

Honestly, that's how it was then. If I remember correctly there was a Hispanic Gang called the "Chingaling" something like that. Are they still around. They would fight with the italians around there and I remember once that they found an Italian teen dead in the trunk of a car. I remember there was a gathering at the italian park and some big fight broke out. Lots of cops, lots of arrest etc.

It was rough then too!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
The area is alright..it has alot of resturants and amenities, and is very walkable to just about everything, including the Metro North on Fordham rd. It has tree-lined streets, outdoor cafes, and small parks. It feels good walking around there..and the Fordham students add some vitality also.

The area seems alot more Hispanic than it has ever been, but it does not seem run down or ghetto. I am glad there are no more angry/bitter/bored/immature/misguided (take your pick) Italians with baseball bats...hopefully those days are over and long gone (and I am not one of the many on here that long for the racially divided days of hostility, turf battles, and blatant hatred/segregation). I suspect you would enjoy the area quite a bit...it has alot of the good things the Bronx is known for.

I was just wondering. I went to NY city 10 years ago and couldn't wait to come home. The enviornment is alot different here in Florida. I'm sure the Bronx would be too busy for me.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Many people not from NYC, or ANY heavily urban/culturally diverse hub find the city very unappealing. The environment from Florida, and just about every major city, let alone 2 horse town in the country, is like night and day. Some LOVE it..some HATE it. Not everyone can appreciate the city..which is why so many leave..and some can...which is why many stay!

I could not live in Florida because the lack of a central core of city life, fine dining, vast array of entertainment options, public transportation, and global draw is nonexistent..but I DO like going to the beach in south florida for a weekend during winter. So although it does not suit my lifestyle, and cannot live there at this point in my life, I can apperciate the beach for a weekend..and that ain't bad either!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 AM

To me the BRONX is more for people that like to party, like the night life, like gathering in the street to hang out with friends. Even when there, I felt out of place. Florida is more lets build a family enviornment. I do miss not having quick access to grocery stores down the block or at the corner, but that is a small price to pay for all Florida has to offer. Oh, when you move here, the beach is no big deal. The last time I went to the beach was several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City