Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 04:38 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacadocious73 View Post
Where the **** is the "Nepalese neighborhood". Also if one does exist, why is that a good thing worth paying extra $$ in rent for?
Secondly, yeah NYC is 24-hours, but guess what most New Yorkers retire to their bedrooms at 11pm on a weeknight and watch Netflix like the rest of the world, so why is that a benefit?
Thirdly, if you are a regular theatre-goer, that adds value, if not, you're paying extra in rent for something you dont' even use...
There is a growing Nepalese community in Ridgewood. Also in Elmhurst. And maybe even in Sunnyside. They do nice things such as raise money for earthquake victims a couple months back. Diversity grows our economy. The more different types of people there are, the more different types of products there are to sell. For every dollar of rent we have to pay more than in another city, we get at least a dollar more of income to make up for it. We also have a wider economy to scale to take advantage of than elsewhere.

Crazy that NYC gets people so heated that they start dropping **** bombs in their posts. Why you so mad? Jealousy is a b***h trait, and you got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 09:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Whether the city is being praised or trashed.. its almost always an exaggeration. Its like something about NYC makes people more dramatic than they would normally be.

Seriously... I agree its a large and exciting city. However, its not as over the top as everyone makes it out to be. its not THAT dirty. Its not THAT expensive. Its not THAT amazing. Its not a mind blowing place or anything. Its really just a larger version of most other U.S. cities. Sure it has its unique "only in New York" things.. but so does every other city. NYC just has more of everything.. but not necessarily higher quality everything.
It is large and exciting.
It is clean and dirty.
It is expensive and cheap.
There is high quality that is inaccessible to most of the residents.

Whether it's mind blowing or not depends on your experience. For me, it's just a day-by-day thing because I've lived here most of my life.

Depending on where you sit between the different lines of what NYC is, it will paint your perspective in many different ways.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Everyone knows ny is like that. Why do you think so many people break their necks to live in the city or at least closeby?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:08 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacadocious73 View Post
Where the **** is the "Nepalese neighborhood". Also if one does exist, why is that a good thing worth paying extra $$ in rent for?
Secondly, yeah NYC is 24-hours, but guess what most New Yorkers retire to their bedrooms at 11pm on a weeknight and watch Netflix like the rest of the world, so why is that a benefit?
Thirdly, if you are a regular theatre-goer, that adds value, if not, you're paying extra in rent for something you dont' even use...
There is a Nepalese community in Jackson Heights Queens which is shared by others of the Indian subcontinent such as Indian and Pakistani. My coworker goes to Jackson Heights Queens to a Nepali store to pick up goods. NYC is not really a 24 hour city, I can say NYC is a 20 hour city. After a certain time stores really shut down, subway and bus service becomes very dim. Much of the city is sleeping after 2 AM. The main problem and pain in NYC is what you get while paying an high cost for it. I can guarantee in a year or so MTA is going to raise fares to 3 dollars a ride and service is still slow and inconsistent. Infastructure of the city still has not improved from subways, to the skyways that funnel people in from all over the world that disembark here. Their is such a demand to live here that rents keep going up. One has to be real lucky if they have a rent controlled apartment or subsidized apartment. I love telling suburbanites to stay in the burbs and don't move to NYC.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
There is a Nepalese community in Jackson Heights Queens which is shared by others of the Indian subcontinent such as Indian and Pakistani. My coworker goes to Jackson Heights Queens to a Nepali store to pick up goods. NYC is not really a 24 hour city, I can say NYC is a 20 hour city. After a certain time stores really shut down, subway and bus service becomes very dim. Much of the city is sleeping after 2 AM. The main problem and pain in NYC is what you get while paying an high cost for it. I can guarantee in a year or so MTA is going to raise fares to 3 dollars a ride and service is still slow and inconsistent. Infastructure of the city still has not improved from subways, to the skyways that funnel people in from all over the world that disembark here. Their is such a demand to live here that rents keep going up. One has to be real lucky if they have a rent controlled apartment or subsidized apartment. I love telling suburbanites to stay in the burbs and don't move to NYC.
There are Nepalese in Jackson Heights, among many other ethnicities. It's a great neighborhood.

If people would just decide that it's okay to live within a one hour radius of wherever they need to be in NYC for their work or recreation, the cost of living would go down and more neighborhoods would be stabilized with safety, schools and basic amenities (i.e., I can get fresh food at my local supermarket).

IMHO, an hour isn't much to give up to lower your rent $1,000 a month.

And, stop moving places to impress other people.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:03 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
The thing about NYC is that it is both a larger version of other cities and it is special in its own right. There is no right or wrong about NYC, there is the experience you can afford.

But every city is like this. Every city has apartments for $1,000 a month, $2,000 a month. Every city has a high society and a high quality of living that does not represent the worker bees. In every city in America the poor work, so the rich do not have to.

If you think that things are that much better in your own city you just aren't seeing it. Perhaps you're blessed and you don't have to deal with it, but its there.

NYC is just overwhelming. Manhattan, as a downtown of 2 million people, is overwhelming. But if you live in a smaller city, and your downtown has 3,000 residents, chances are they don't interact with the working class any more than you'll find a Manhattanite in the Bronx or Queens. There are housing projects in Manhattan, just like there are housing projects in downtown Norfolk. It is really blown out of proportion.

New York City just allows you to isolate yourself better than other cities from commoners. That's about it. Although I can appreciate the artistic contributions, with 9 million people, there would be a serious issue of there were no artistry in that place. There are small towns of 50,000 that house artists, it is not breaking news, by any account.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
I lived in Manhattan for a few years as a single guy in my own apartment. Being in the city is so different from even being in Queen, Brooklyn, NY or Long Island. It is a world in itself.

Friends with last minute tickets to Rangers or Knicks that some client did not show up would call and I would grab a cab and be at a game in five minutes. Some hot clubs only did mailings and stuff to folks in target areas. And I would stay out much later as I worked in City . I also went out a lot on Mondays, Sundays, Tuesdays etc when only Manhattan folks would go out.

John Travola, Joe Montana, Sugar Ray Leonard, Lee Majors, all kinds of folks I hung out with over the years. Julia Roberts and Patrick Sweezy were in my neighborhood. Hard to explain. Stuff like Sunday Brunch, rollerblading central park. People dont even think of inviting you unless you live in city.

NYC is the center of the world like it or not.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:32 PM

99 posts, read 215,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I lived in Manhattan for a few years as a single guy in my own apartment. Being in the city is so different from even being in Queen, Brooklyn, NY or Long Island. It is a world in itself.

Friends with last minute tickets to Rangers or Knicks that some client did not show up would call and I would grab a cab and be at a game in five minutes. Some hot clubs only did mailings and stuff to folks in target areas. And I would stay out much later as I worked in City . I also went out a lot on Mondays, Sundays, Tuesdays etc when only Manhattan folks would go out.

John Travola, Joe Montana, Sugar Ray Leonard, Lee Majors, all kinds of folks I hung out with over the years. Julia Roberts and Patrick Sweezy were in my neighborhood. Hard to explain. Stuff like Sunday Brunch, rollerblading central park. People dont even think of inviting you unless you live in city.

NYC is the center of the world like it or not.
i agree that people here often downplay the benefits of living in prime areas of manhattan

Old 07-08-2015, 03:34 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Stallion View Post
i agree that people here often downplay the benefits of living in prime areas of manhattan
The benefits must be good, to justify the high price of living there.

This is why I often wonder when I see these types of threads if the reality is that the poster simply cannot afford the best of what Manhattan has to offer. I've found that is generally the case with the threads on C-D.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:42 PM

105 posts, read 106,306 times
One thing I've heard exaggerated on this forum, is that NYers are rude.

For the past 1 to 2 years I've been here (originally from S.Florida) I find people to be actually quite nice.

I might not be saying that same thing for the people who drive on the road. But from what I've experienced, people are more than willing to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City