Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Most people living in NYC don't have the time or the money to truly experience the "quantity" of the city. Thus making it a moot point to the vast majority of people living here.

Like I said earlier in this thread. NYC is the best place to be rich, a college student or a tourist. Otherwise, it has little edge over other cities if any. If you can't afford to experience the city or don't have the time to experience the city.. what good are these extra "options" anyway? They are really not options if you don't have access to them.
This is very true. To be honest only those with money and transient types are the ones that truly enjoy what the city has to offer. To be honeset I don't really care for much venues and certain types of offerings to cater to a certain niche demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 PM

607 posts, read 601,910 times
Quote:
Most people living in NYC don't have the time or the money to truly experience the "quantity" of the city. Thus making it a moot point to the vast majority of people living here.

Like I said earlier in this thread. NYC is the best place to be rich, a college student or a tourist. Otherwise, it has little edge over other cities if any. If you can't afford to experience the city or don't have the time to experience the city.. what good are these extra "options" anyway? They are really not options if you don't have access to them.
I don't agree...I have friends who aren't rich or college students or tourists, who are artists, making money at their art, enjoying and loving life in NYC. This statement is hugely negative--basically you're saying you can't enjoy life or experience fun/interesting/exciting things while living in NYC (in this case, what NYC has to offer) unless you're rich? Life is what you make it - sure, being rich makes it a hell of a lot easier in many cases, but even someone who doesn't have much money can still be happy and do things if they live in NYC. It's all about your attitude and perspective, and how you manage your time and money, etc.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:54 AM

478 posts, read 809,149 times
Quote:

1) I know a number of working people with ordinary means/livelihoods who live in the city (mostly in Brooklyn/Queens because of finances) who do take advantage of exactly the kinds of things that I described.

2) Many of these opportunities (essentially, the chance to participate in a variety of vibrant, active intellectual/social/cultural communities) are free, or cheap. Sure, you can blow as much money as you want, but there are tons of affordable things to do in NY daily.

Quote:
To be honeset I don't really care for much venues and certain types of offerings to cater to a certain niche demographic.
The fact that you're not interested in them doesn't mean that they don't exist (and aren't much better developed in NYC than in other, smaller American cities-thus distinguishing it as offering something unique and hard to come by elsewhere).

Old 10-12-2015, 11:58 AM

478 posts, read 809,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
I don't agree...I have friends who aren't rich or college students or tourists, who are artists, making money at their art, enjoying and loving life in NYC. This statement is hugely negative--basically you're saying you can't enjoy life or experience fun/interesting/exciting things while living in NYC (in this case, what NYC has to offer) unless you're rich? Life is what you make it - sure, being rich makes it a hell of a lot easier in many cases, but even someone who doesn't have much money can still be happy and do things if they live in NYC. It's all about your attitude and perspective, and how you manage your time and money, etc.
It's also about priorities. If your passion is hiking/mountain biking/hunting or something outdoors, NYC is probably not the best choice for you. If your desire is for a green lawn, picket fence, and low cost of living obviously NYC isn't for you, positive attitude aside. The people who choose to live/remain in the city value other things. A simple supply/demand perspective sums it up: would prices (the demand) to live in NYC be so high if it didn't offer some kind of compelling value proposition?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
I didn't say its not possible to enjoy living in NYC. I am saying.. the arguments people present about NYC having more options than other cities doesn't really matter much to most people living in NYC since they don't have the time or money to explore all these options.

At the end of the day.. most people living in NYC will experience as much in NYC as they would living in a city with less options. Simply because of the time and money factor. And when people finally go on vacation.. they usually go somewhere else. They don't use their vacation time to explore the city they already live in.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
I didn't say its not possible to enjoy living in NYC. I am saying.. the arguments people present about NYC having more options than other cities doesn't really matter much to most people living in NYC since they don't have the time or money to explore all these options.

At the end of the day.. most people living in NYC will experience as much in NYC as they would living in a city with less options. Simply because of the time and money factor. And when people finally go on vacation.. they usually go somewhere else. They don't use their vacation time to explore the city they already live in.
You must know a lot of people in NYC. Probably close to 9 million people or so. Else this is just your opinion. Weird that you'd even care about people living in NYC. You must be some loser living in some boring city with nothing to do in it to maintain this thread on another cities forum.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
1) I know a number of working people with ordinary means/livelihoods who live in the city (mostly in Brooklyn/Queens because of finances) who do take advantage of exactly the kinds of things that I described.

2) Many of these opportunities (essentially, the chance to participate in a variety of vibrant, active intellectual/social/cultural communities) are free, or cheap. Sure, you can blow as much money as you want, but there are tons of affordable things to do in NY daily.

The fact that you're not interested in them doesn't mean that they don't exist (and aren't much better developed in NYC than in other, smaller American cities-thus distinguishing it as offering something unique and hard to come by elsewhere).
+1

especially point #2

Old 10-12-2015, 08:39 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:

But you can't pretend as if we don't have ACCESS to some of the best in the world. If someone wanted to experience The Met, as one example, they could. It's literally too many free attractions/low fees to mention. Even seeing something as iconic as the Empire State Building daily is a plus for many.

To insinuate the options we have as being just like living in a city with less options is false because they simply don't have that access.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:

This is very true from my observation and experience as a native New Yorker. I don't explore the city as much and I don't see any novelty to do so. Even though I have the time to check out and see what is going on, its the money factor that holds me back from exploring the city. Also true, when vacation time comes around I explore else were, either checking out other regions of the country or I go and visit either Latin America or the Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You must know a lot of people in NYC. Probably close to 9 million people or so. Else this is just your opinion. Weird that you'd even care about people living in NYC. You must be some loser living in some boring city with nothing to do in it to maintain this thread on another cities forum.
I think is opinion is on point not only with me but with others that I know. Even though I love NYC, I don't see any novelty to explore the city no more. Maybe if I was a transplant or an expat, I would be singing a different tune about NYC. However I was told its always good to create outings in the city at times. I haven't been to the Bronx Z00 and the Coney Island Aquarium in nearly 20 years, or even walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, or visited the statue of liberty in the longest. However I would prefer to do such hobbies if I had a family.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Nope.

Are you mad? You sound mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City