Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:36 PM

315 posts, read 210,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Not everyday, but I did it a couple of times.
I really like knowing what the options are - even if I don't use all of them all the time. I might figure some of them out on my own but it's so much better to talk to people and get a better idea and investigate a little further . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
For the people who think taking the B63 is a better option, let me tell you it's much worse. It took me and hour and a half to get from Park Slope to Bay Ridge with that bus last summer, which is embarrassing. I could probably walk and get there faster.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,453 times
Default I used to take the R from Bay Ridge to Manhattan and vice-versa.

Not a terrible commute. Would be nicer if the R-train were a little faster / used the third rail.

I know quite a few people who switch to the N-train at 59th in order to save time.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
There's usually a cross-platform transfer, but I think it's more often at 36th than 59th. If you're going to Lower Manhattan, it's not that bad. R train your chance of getting a seat is high. Midtown, worse. I think there are worse train commutes in NYC, and it's still better than most suburban train commutes time-wise.

I'm a bit surprised the bus is faster at rush hour, sounds like it'll be stuck in a long BQE/tunnel traffic jam.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
For the people who think taking the B63 is a better option, let me tell you it's much worse. It took me and hour and a half to get from Park Slope to Bay Ridge with that bus last summer, which is embarrassing. I could probably walk and get there faster.
Why'd you take the B63 over the R? I never really understood the point of that bus, when the R does the same thing much faster. Seems to be well used.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm a bit surprised the bus is faster at rush hour, sounds like it'll be stuck in a long BQE/tunnel traffic jam.
There's a bus lane on the BQE in the morning.

Quote:
Why'd you take the B63 over the R? I never really understood the point of that bus, when the R does the same thing much faster. Seems to be well used.
Aside from the obvious elderly/disabled riders, a lot of people take the bus for shorter trips. For example, Bay Ridge Avenue to 86th Street, or 39th Street to 9th Street. (Or in this case, somewhere in Bay Ridge to 59th/60th Street).

Plus, now with BusTime, it makes it a little more predictable to catch, as opposed to the train which doesn't have any tracking app.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:57 AM

102 posts, read 145,882 times
I believe what nei was asking was why take the B63 for a "long" trip from Park Slope to Bay Ridge. Unless the subway is not running, this is only for masochists.

As an experienced X27 bus rider I can say that the evening rush hour is not that bad most of the time. Plus, the problem is rarely the tunnel or the Gowanus; it's downtown Manhattan from Barclay Street to the entrance of the tunnel. It has taken 20 minutes or more to make it from Wall Street to the tunnel, which of course is right around the corner. The Broadway/Battery Place intersection is a bottleneck followed up by the bottleneck that is the Battery Place/West Street intersection a few yards up.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 AM

279 posts, read 521,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineonce View Post
Are you afraid to leave your apt? Sunset Park aka South Slope questionable areas? Yeah beware of the hipster that might spill a hot latte in your lap!
Sunset Park in comparison to Bay Ridge has always been seen as seedy (though it has improved) and that's why many residents in Bay Ridge prefer the express bus. You are riding with residents from your neighborhood, so there is no seedy factor. That was the point I was trying to make. Given the fact that the op is a female it would make sense for her to use the bus at times if safety is a concern for her.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:25 AM

That seems an unreasonable fear, unless at night; but everyone's comfort level is different

Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 AM

279 posts, read 521,544 times
Quote:
That seems an unreasonable fear, unless at night; but everyone's comfort level is different
Yes, but there is also a large elderly population in Bay Ridge, so yes, everyone's comfort level is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: