Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 AM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times

Advertisements

^ I concur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
You look for trouble you find trouble...you can walk live in any hood and not have any problems if you don't encourage them!
Not neccessarily. Part of the issue of living in a bad hood is that people F--- with you even while trying to mind your business. Young folks that are poor are often bored also. ANd the cheapest form of entertainment is harrassing someone trying to mind their business; either by throwing something at them, or saying something derogatory, or just straight up robbing them. Back when I was in 8th grade living in Bushwick, some guys rolled up on me, pulled a gun to take to take my 3 dollar hat. u think i wasnt minding my business.

If hood life consisted of being safe as long as u mind u business, there would be a lot less complaints about living there. But the reality is, when u saty in a certain area, its just a matter of time b4 something pops off. Real Talk!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,664 times
iheartponeez im from bed stuy. its not as bad as he makes it sound. most likely he is white and most of said something stupid to thoose kids. Anyways there are two ways to go about it #1. go up to them and ask them what is there problem with you and how can we reslove it. 9 out of 10 times you will get a straight answer and even if they say something you didnt do say im sorry. or you can do #2 go to the cops ( not something i would because im spanish and the cops in bed stuy are racist.)

Old 05-28-2010, 06:51 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
Grab the first one you can and choke his ***** out, or slam one of them on the concrete....you need to grow a pair of, Bed Stuy isnt a neighborhood you just walk around sorry for being blunt and rude but thats just the truth.
exactly. i know this is late as hell but stomp one of those lil ....'s out.

OP, definitely hold your own, period. put the fear of God in them and they won't mess with you anymore.

if you don't have the heart or the...well, the heart to do that then get some mace and spray them both in the eyes. empty the whole can out then call the cops. i'm still reading through the thread but i hope that everything worked out.

Last edited by eek; 05-28-2010 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM

144 posts, read 324,358 times
Quote:

Anyway , my point is that a white guy from out of town who has unknowingly moved into this neighborhood will do himself no good by calling police , fighting back , or anything except moving out of the neighborhood.
Best advice on here.

This is how it is in any hood.. Its not a race thing - its a dog-eat-dog prison like atmosphere.
The bottom of the totem pole will suffer.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Not neccessarily. Part of the issue of living in a bad hood is that people F--- with you even while trying to mind your business. Young folks that are poor are often bored also. ANd the cheapest form of entertainment is harrassing someone trying to mind their business; either by throwing something at them, or saying something derogatory, or just straight up robbing them. Back when I was in 8th grade living in Bushwick, some guys rolled up on me, pulled a gun to take to take my 3 dollar hat. u think i wasnt minding my business.

If hood life consisted of being safe as long as u mind u business, there would be a lot less complaints about living there. But the reality is, when u saty in a certain area, its just a matter of time b4 something pops off. Real Talk!
So true...the mind your own business strategy is still not enough to keep from getting harassed in the hood. Especially with these little brats running around so desperate for attention & street cred. I've had things thrown at me while I was strolling along innocently and the like too. The only way to avoid this completely is to not be in the hood in the first place, but if you have to be there...well I don't know...just try your best to keep a low profile and maybe invest in some self-defense classes or consider purchasing a firearm if you're really paranoid. The ghetto sucks for real

Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
So true...the mind your own business strategy is still not enough to keep from getting harassed in the hood. Especially with these little brats running around so desperate for attention & street cred. I've had things thrown at me while I was strolling along innocently and the like too. The only way to avoid this completely is to not be in the hood in the first place, but if you have to be there...well I don't know...just try your best to keep a low profile and maybe invest in some self-defense classes or consider purchasing a firearm if you're really paranoid. The ghetto sucks for real
True story! Whenever I read stuff like "just mind your own business" or "keep your wits about you and you'll be fine", I just crack up laughing and feel bad for anyone who listens. Hood cats just wont let you live in peace. THey'll make a ton of noise and get pisse dif u complain; have undesirables as company on a regular basis; or as Chris Rock said, rob your TV at 2am, see u the next morning and say "I heard u got robbed"

In summary, lets just say theres many a person that was minding their own business in the hood and sadly got handled (robbed, stabbed, 187)! As Ive gotten older, Ive learned its jsut best to do what u can to get out and stay out, even if it means working extra hours or multiple jobs. Nothing like peace and quiet at night.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
True story! Whenever I read stuff like "just mind your own business" or "keep your wits about you and you'll be fine", I just crack up laughing and feel bad for anyone who listens. Hood cats just wont let you live in peace. THey'll make a ton of noise and get pisse dif u complain; have undesirables as company on a regular basis; or as Chris Rock said, rob your TV at 2am, see u the next morning and say "I heard u got robbed"

In summary, lets just say theres many a person that was minding their own business in the hood and sadly got handled (robbed, stabbed, 187)! As Ive gotten older, Ive learned its jsut best to do what u can to get out and stay out, even if it means working extra hours or multiple jobs. Nothing like peace and quiet at night.
minding your own business only works if you dont look like an easy target. unfortunately people move to the hood because thats all they can afford and things like this happen. sometimes u have to blend in with your surroundings, actually look like u belong there.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
I wonder why the OP and others like him would choose to live in a dangerous neighborhood when there are plenty of other options available. It's not worth sacrificing your safety to live in a so-called hip area. You can move 15 minutes from there and not have to worry about situations like this.

Notice to all folks thinking about moving to NYC. Come here first and visit your prospective neighborhoods at night and in the summer to get a real perspective on how things might be. If you feel the least bit uncomfortable, choose another neighborhood.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM

32 posts, read 60,740 times
Smh @ people encouraging you to move to Elmhurst. Maybe a few years ago but now? Mara Salvatrucha hard body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City