Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 16,041 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a 22 year old who moved to NY in September. Specifically, I moved to Bed-Stuy, on Lewis at Putnam. Things went fine for a few months, and then a few teenagers down the block decided to start harassing me. First bottles and stuff thrown my way, then a shove. A week ago two of them started taking swings, but I sort of brushed them aside, uninterested in a fight. Then 5 days after that at around 5:30 PM, on my way back from work, the same two kids blocked my way, and suddenly them and 4 of their friends started punching me in the head. I covered up and kept walking and finally a girl came at them swinging her umbrella and chased them off. But these kids live a block away, I have to walk by their stoop every day, and I'm constantly paranoid that they'll attack me again. I can't imagine reporting it would do anything, and worry that fighting back will make it worse, and so I'm trying to leave the neighborhood, rather than constantly be terrified of everyone who walks behind me.

So, I've been hunting for a safer spot in the range of $700 per month. I know that seems low, but I found one place in Elmhurst and one in Inwood/Morningside Heights. I imagine I might be able to find spots in The Bronx for that price. My question is: Is Inwood going to be safer? Is there anywhere you would recommend? Should I just stick it out? Having been attacked twice by the same kids seems like a message that I'm going to be targeted from now on, and I'm the sort of guy you can spot 3 blocks away (I'm 6'1" and weight 135-140 pounds). I don't know what to do. So, in summation: 700 per month, trying to stay safe, and I'd like to stay less than an hour away from downtown Manhattan if possible.

Advice?

PS: I can also delve into paying 1400 for 2br, or 2100 for 3br, you know, finding roommates.

Last edited by iheartponeez; 01-21-2008 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
What area of Inwood are you looking at?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 48,420 times
I'm guessing your white. People are mad about the whole gentrification thing and it's been getting worse as more people in the ghetto get word of it. None of those areas mentioned are nice places to live. Why not try to find a smaller place in a more decent area. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a comparable sized apartment. Places in Southern Brooklyn like Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge are pretty decent. In the Bronx try Throgs Neck and Country Club. Even Pelham Bay. You sacrifice just a little on your commute but the difference in quality of life is significant.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Sorry this is happening to you. That must suck having to be afraid every time you walk down your block. I had a friend a few years ago who was mugged somewhere - I'm not even sure where it happened, but she absolutely would not live in Bed-Stuy because it didn't make her feel safe (I guess it reminded her of the attack). Of course there are plenty of people who live without incident in Bed-Stuy, but since you seem to be targeted and don't feel safe there and it sounds like you can leave pretty easily (do you have to break a lease?) it seems like it makes sense to go to another neighborhood.

I don't know Inwood well so can't advise. Elmhurst seems quite safe and I have walked through there several times at night (though not later than 11 - just never had the opportunity) and have felt fine.

I assume 700 is your budget for a room. Some other safe neighborhoods that come to mind are Astoria (though there are a few areas there that aren't as safe - check astorians.com for specifics), Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Ditmas Park, Kensington. $700 is do-able in all those neighborhoods, I believe. Of course it might take some searching.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM

There's really nothing wrong with Elmhurst. It certainly does not have the hip or cool factor going for it like Bed-Stuy but I also don't think there are threatening kids hanging out on the corners. What it does have going for it is pretty good transportation - the RVG trains go there. A friend who lives there can be to work in midtown (57th St.) door to door in 30 minutes by switching to the F express train at Roosevelt. It also has some amazing Thai and other Asian restaurants and markets. (check chowhound for details) It has a high percentage of immigrants, but that might be better for you since I suspect it's the Americans you've been having trouble with.

All in all, it doesn't have the hip/cool/I want to hang out there amenities that some other neighborhoods have, but if you are looking for a safe, cheap neighborhood with a good commute to Manhattan you could easily find it in Elmhurst. fyi, it's probably cheap because people (non-immigrants) looking for cheap rent have not really discovered it yet.

If you were willing to go for a slightly longer commute, I have heard nice things about Kew Gardens too.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 48,420 times
I heard bad things about East Elmhurst. I know for sure they have a lot of shootings and gangs out there. Maybe in certain areas? I don't know about regular Elmhurst though.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
LOLZ that story is hilarious

Inwood is perfectly safe for you.

Lets just say that a lot of the lower income peeps in Inwood do not have all the necessary documents, so they have no basis for beefing over gentrification.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
the pioneers take all the arrows.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGUYY View Post
I heard bad things about East Elmhurst. I know for sure they have a lot of shootings and gangs out there. Maybe in certain areas? I don't know about regular Elmhurst though.

Elmhurst and East Elmhurst are two completely separate neigbhorhoods that do not even border one another. It would be kind of like talking about Chelsea and Chinatown.

As for East Elmhurst, I think there are pockets that aren't so great but the parts that I go into seem fine.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Quote:
the pioneers take all the arrows.
LOL, that was a good one & very true. I wonder aloud when folks on the board tell people who have never been to NYC before to move to areas like Bed-Stuy. You need big cojones to move into an tough neighborhood... the first sign of fear & these kids are all over you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City