Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
In what NYC world do you live in where one group of people can no longer afford to live in a certain part of town so they move to a part they can afford and bring the environment of the neighborhood UP instead of down? What world does this exist in because those factors never result in an improved neighborhood in NYC. Based on what was stated in the OP, yes, Throgs Neck is going down hill.

If there were Blacks who could no longer afford the south Bronx (which by the way is ground zero for GHETTO LIFE in BX) moving into Throgs Neck and those things started happening that the OP stated, would that qualify as going down hill in your neighborhood standard index measurements??
Lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I've never been to the neighborhood but I do pay attention to NYCHA - and Throgs Neck Houses wasn't that crazy back in the 1980s, now I've heard it went straight downhill, so no surprise to the surrounding area. And Bluedog is absolutely right with the city dumping people in way out areas.....they've been doing it around my way since the 1960s....some of the craziest people live in Far Rock NYCHA.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-22-2015, 11:08 PM

415 posts, read 513,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think there is block busting going on The Bronx today in Woodlawn,Pelham Bay, Lower Morris Park, Van Nest and in Throg's Neck. I just don't think it's a coincidence that as the demographic is shifting in some of these last white ethnic strongholds in the city the neighborhoods are absolutely plastered with the "we buy any house quick for cash " signs on every pole in the neighborhood.In some ways,the signs themselves could be viewed as menacing and promoting fear.I don't see those signs in the more stable areas. Always seems to be the one's that are transitioning.

It doesn't have to have anything to do with blacks moving in anywhere . It's just about scaring white people into selling their houses for less than they are worth by installing fear that some "other " group is invading. The invaders don't have to be black they can be Puerto Rican,Asian , whatever.

It's funny you mention Woodlawn. That neighborhood drives black and hispanic race hustlers and especially liberal do-gooders nuts.

The idea that the 37 remaining Irish American people in the Bronx found some little 4 block by 5 block area and choose to try and self segregate drives these people crazy. The nerve! When any other minority group chooses to segregate itself it's viewed as romantic and idyllic.

But if those dirty micks want to live among themselves, well, um, that's just pure evil. Can't have that. Most of those posters and ads you see in places like Woodlawn are bait from activists, NGO's and governmental authorities trying to entrap local real estate agents, brokers and homeowners.

I have a good friend who was selling a house in Woodlawn a few years back and the first day he listed he had brokers from outside areas bring nothing but black people. He said it was pure comedy. The real estate broker asked him if he would sell to a black family and he said "sure!!".

Long story, boring…none of these buyers were for real and he wound up selling the house to his neighbors daughter which is common for Woodlawn.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 PM

415 posts, read 513,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've never been to the neighborhood but I do pay attention to NYCHA - and Throgs Neck Houses wasn't that crazy back in the 1980s, now I've heard it went straight downhill, so no surprise to the surrounding area. And Bluedog is absolutely right with the city dumping people in way out areas.....they've been doing it around my way since the 1960s....some of the craziest people live in Far Rock NYCHA.
My understanding is that Far Rock is getting shut down (the projects).

Far Rockaway has always been the land of the misfit toys.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 PM

20 posts, read 43,772 times
I can't help but still be curious as to whether anyone else in the area is experiencing the same changes as I am though (with the same severity)? Perhaps it's my proximity to Throggs Neck Houses (I'm only a few blocks away). I chose this house because the express bus stop is close by, as well as the 45pct (although they have been abysmally slow in responding to a few actual emergencies I called in, to include a violent fight). However, some of the locals have mentioned that moving a bit more east and north, as in to Country Club or near Pennyfield, would result in a more desirable neighborhood.

Maybe that's still just wishful thinking though.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nywriterdude is going to say, " see I told you so".

Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbebop View Post
I can't help but still be curious as to whether anyone else in the area is experiencing the same changes as I am though (with the same severity)? Perhaps it's my proximity to Throggs Neck Houses (I'm only a few blocks away). I chose this house because the express bus stop is close by, as well as the 45pct (although they have been abysmally slow in responding to a few actual emergencies I called in, to include a violent fight). However, some of the locals have mentioned that moving a bit more east and north, as in to Country Club or near Pennyfield, would result in a more desirable neighborhood.

Maybe that's still just wishful thinking though.
I agree, you're on the "wrong" side of the highway for the most part. I grew up in TN near Edgewater and then lived for years on the TN/Country Club border before leaving NY altogether a couple of years ago.

My parents and many family members are still in TN. I've posted before about changes that I've noticed, both while living there and since I left, specifically along Tremont. Dirtier, louder, etc.

There's always been a little more "roughness" in quality of life near the TN Houses. Much of the new construction in TN during the boom happened on that side of TN, there were many vacant lots and many one family homes on larger lots. Many of the nrely constructed homes were never sold before the crash and were converted to programs by the developers. Some were foreclosures snatched up and turned into rentals as well. In my opinion, very few of the houses are absentee owners renting out. Most are under management companies or owners living in one unit of the house and renting out the rest through programs.

For all the TNers that moved up to Brewster and Carmel to buy, I know just as many who stayed in TN when buying their own homes. TN had some outrageous housing prices during the boom which drove some middle class away. Factor in the public schools in TN are pretty crummy and property taxes, it was worth their while to buy outside of NYC.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Throggs Neck is much better than it was 20-30 years ago. It's more like the improvement of Throggs Neck, not the fall.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Throggs Neck is much better than it was 20-30 years ago. It's more like the improvement of Throggs Neck, not the fall.
I'm surprised by this. I think this is the first time I've heard anyone say this, but I assume you know more about this if you've been here for several decades. I percieved a downward trend in the past couple years and wanted to see if other's experiences aligned with mine.

I think many property owners from Throggs Neck on this forum are very proud of their properties and neighborhood, or fear devaluation based of percieved blighting of the neighborhood. I assure you, that isn't the intention, and I would love to hear about experiences that demonstrate that this area is continually improving / where in Throggs Neck its continually improving so I can relocate.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I agree, you're on the "wrong" side of the highway for the most part. I grew up in TN near Edgewater and then lived for years on the TN/Country Club border before leaving NY altogether a couple of years ago.

My parents and many family members are still in TN. I've posted before about changes that I've noticed, both while living there and since I left, specifically along Tremont. Dirtier, louder, etc.

There's always been a little more "roughness" in quality of life near the TN Houses. Much of the new construction in TN during the boom happened on that side of TN, there were many vacant lots and many one family homes on larger lots. Many of the nrely constructed homes were never sold before the crash and were converted to programs by the developers. Some were foreclosures snatched up and turned into rentals as well. In my opinion, very few of the houses are absentee owners renting out. Most are under management companies or owners living in one unit of the house and renting out the rest through programs.

For all the TNers that moved up to Brewster and Carmel to buy, I know just as many who stayed in TN when buying their own homes. TN had some outrageous housing prices during the boom which drove some middle class away. Factor in the public schools in TN are pretty crummy and property taxes, it was worth their while to buy outside of NYC.
I think I'm actually on the "right" side of the freeway, although it's at the very edge (near Quincy Ave). Landlord lives on the same block, he's expressed his concern for he deterioration of this neighborhood, although I'm not sure if he had ulterior motives in doing so (I expressed an interest in purchasing property when I first moved here and he was vehemently against it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City