Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Look into lower Westchester county. Plenty of affluent towns from which to choose including Scarsdale, Bronxville, Rye, Larchmont...
I second all of these places as well as Riverdale.

What part of the Bronx do you work in? Are you looking for a single family home or is a co-op an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 05:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
The nicest places in the area all around are probably Bronxville and Scarsdale. You are pretty close to the Bronx and yet the neighborhoods are top of the line with excellent public schools.

There are some nice areas of the Bronx, especially Riverdale and Country Club, but you're probably going to want to send your kids to private/parochial school.

If I was in that situation I'd probably see if I could find anything in Bronxville for $1 mil.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
If I was in that situation I'd probably see if I could find anything in Bronxville for $1 mil.
If it was my money I would do the exact same thing. Bronxville is VERY nice.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,926 times
I work in the Bronx and if we had $1M, I'd want to live in Mount Kisco. Easy commute (though 40 minutes), has a small town/more rural vibe but with the necessary conveniences (grocery store, etc) nearby. And the schools are good.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
me personally i would buy a 3 bedroom in the white house (the executive on the concourse and 165th), buy a fly car and send my kids to cardinal hayes or spellman.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 63,138 times
[quote=mead;2593021
If I was in that situation I'd probably see if I could find anything in Bronxville for $1 mil.[/quote]

From what I've always heard bronxville is nice as long as you are not Jewish. Maybe no longer so but historically known as an antisemetic area.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 AM

88 posts, read 530,432 times
I wish I had that problem...having a million to buy a house and not knowing where to buy...lucky problem!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
Lol Seventh....definitely send you kids to Spellman! I would probably spend $750,000 at most and get an alright place in Riverdale, or get a great place on the waterfront of Country Club, save a HUGE amount in taxes versus ANYWHERE in Westchester, enjoy an easy commute to the city, and invest the difference in the securities market (national and international). Then again..if you just wanna play a losing game of "keeping up with the Joneses"...mortgage your life away in Westchester, pay out the wazoo in high and growing higher taxes, and let's not forget the fat car payment (you can't walk anywhere, and you sure can't be seen in a camry..GASP!), and the snobby kids/families you will no doubt endlessly encounter. Then again...you can throw around that you live in Bronxville..and thats gotta be worth something right? Lol..

Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,382 times
I'm sick and tired of people always ONLY naming riverdale and country club when nice areas of the bronx are brought. those are not the ONLY nice areas in the bronx. I mean, there are blocks upon blocks upon blocks in eastchester that are super nice and sell for 500,000 and above. There are also nice houses/areas in morris park and pelham bay. so stop pounding this riverdale/country club only nonsense because it is just that NONSENSE

I suggest you drive down eastchester rd, after boston road down to arnow, make a left and check out some of those houses over there. There are many good schools in the area.

Or go further down eastchester and just check out some of the side streets like mace and astor etc. so while you sit in your co-op in riverdale and feel "secure" and "upscale" stop kidding yourself that you're alone.

It's not as if the only well educated people in the bx are from country club and freakin river dale. So please cut this crap. Maybe it is hard for some to imagine that a predominantly non-white NH is nice. When you land on planet reality let us know and we will welcome you but till then, do the sane race a favor and save it

Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,176 times
Morris Park may be okay overall but no place in that neighborhood is worth a million dollars. Pelham Bay it depends where. Riverdale on the other hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City