Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,543,041 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ff0lvV1F8

No one seems to react to it much. It's as normal as someone being somewhat loud on her cellphone. Even that innocent looking Asian boy was not scared or surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 06:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,013,773 times
a mentally ill person acting out on the subway -- pretty common, unfortunately.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,967,143 times
"I'll shut your franchise down" Did I just hear that near the end ? lol

Anyway, it's becoming more and more common lately. Some are even aggressive. So be careful.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 PM

The guy in blue with glasses. What is he doing. He never flipped the pages on his newspaper. Is he pretending to be reading?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:04 PM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Yes, unfortunately, it is pretty common; if I didn't see someone acting out like this at least once during my subway commute, that would be unusual. But those people are doing exactly what anyone should during those situations. I encourage everyone to avoid all attention/eye contact/etc. with people like that as you're likely to draw "negative" attention to yourself otherwise, which increases the risk that the unstable individual will target you with a verbal (or physical) assault.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,801,585 times
I saw a women arguing with a wall the other day. She got so mad she threw her coffee at it.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, unfortunately, it is pretty common; if I didn't see someone acting out like this at least once during my subway commute, that would be unusual. But those people are doing exactly what anyone should during those situations. I encourage everyone to avoid all attention/eye contact/etc. with people like that as you're likely to draw "negative" attention to yourself otherwise, which increases the risk that the unstable individual will target you with a verbal (or physical) assault.
The black woman at the beginning did the right thing though. She slowly removed her from the situation.

What about that Asian boy? He is standing there acting like just another subway ride.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:39 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,305,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Once I was leaving Lehman College and I got on the train to head back to Brooklyn. Some woman got on the train a stop or two later, ranting and raving, walked directly up to me, got in my face and basically told me I was a white, devil b*tch. My fault, I guess, as I was the only white person in the train car at the time. Then she walked away, continuing to rant and rave. My inclination was to hit her but I just let her be, as she just seemed legit crazy.

As for that lady, mental illness is a very sad thing.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:47 AM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Once I was leaving Lehman College and I got on the train to head back to Brooklyn. Some woman got on the train a stop or two later, ranting and raving, walked directly up to me, got in my face and basically told me I was a white, devil b*tch. My fault, I guess, as I was the only white person in the train car at the time. Then she walked away, continuing to rant and rave. My inclination was to hit her but I just let her be, as she just seemed legit crazy.

As for that lady, mental illness is a very sad thing.
Wow, sorry that happened to you, but, thankfully, you weren't hurt. Yeah, I guess with the asylums being closed down (and, to be fair, they were being used to house, and not treat, plenty of non-violent mentally ill people who had no business being in there) and other factors, we are seeing more and more of this. I've seen several violent and near violent encounters from such individuals on the subway and elsewhere. While I practice what I preached in my first post, I should have added that its also OK to try to nonchalantly walk away from such a situation (either to another end of the car or to another car or off the train completely) if the person seems to be a threat. I'd only get physical with such individuals as a very last resort (i.e. to protect myself or other innocents who are victims/potential victims of their aggression). Note: just do not underestimate the power and will to do bodily injury to others of a drugged and/or insane person.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
That is one of the craziest outburst of schizophrenia I have ever seen. I'm at Starbucks laughing my butt off on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City