Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:41 AM

119 posts, read 110,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
East side of Broadway Ft George here. Just spent until 3 AM last nite (work nite) lying awake listening to the local neerdowells playing dominoes. They've recently ramped up the annoyingness content of this game. Just slamming the domino down as hard as possible is now passe...you also have to bellow the spanglish equivalent of BOOYAH! or as the Jamaicans say, BUP BUP BUP!
As has been written many times, one really should live west of Broadway if at all possible. Dyckman Street should be avoided as the restaurants become night clubs at night and it can be deafening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM

624 posts, read 982,577 times
I lived in Washington Heights for a year and commuted to Greenwich CT everyday by car. Your commute by car to white plains will not be that bad at all. Inwood obviously is the best option in terms of the car commute. You can take broadway north into the Bronx and then switch to Major Deegan. Henry Hudson is also fast to get out of the city but you'll pay a 2 way toll. If you decide on Morningside Heights, the henry hudson will likely be your best option for getting out of the city.

You will need to pay for parking so put that in your budget. Finding street parking during after work hours is next to impossible. When I was there I found a deal for $200 / month outdoor parking but the prices can vary. Outdoor spaces near broadway can go for around $250 for outdoor and over $300 for indoor.

Indoor parking in up on the area on the hill near cloisters can be upwards fo $400 / month but you can easily take the elevator at 190th A station and use a cheaper lot on broadway. Thats what I was doing when I lived there.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM

119 posts, read 110,830 times
$2,200.00 is a fairly high budget for Inwood. One can easily find a large, attractive 1 bedroom for $1,800.00. The difference I suppose could pay for a parking garage. Trying to park on the street is a nightmare.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:42 PM

19 posts, read 27,513 times
I can't speak much to parking, as I don't own a car, but I can speak to the three neighborhoods you are considering. I grew up in Morningside Heights and lived there until 3 years ago. I now live in Washington Heights (in the "Hudson Heights" section, west of Broadway in 180s), and I spend a fair amount of time in Inwood as well.

All three neighborhoods are great and have their own charms (and a few drawbacks), but I would happily recommend any of them. For commuting to White Plains, Washington Heights or Inwood will be a bit faster (maybe 15 minutes faster). Your money will also go further in Washington Heights or Inwood, and you should be able to get a spacious 1-bedroom in a nice area. These neighborhoods also have beautiful parks -- Inwood Hill Park, Ft. Tyron Park, and Fort Washington Park are wonderful places to go for a walk or have a picnic.

On the other hand, Morningside Heights is closer to downtown Manhattan, so it all depends on what's more important to you. An apartment in your price range will be smaller, maybe a walk-up building, but you'll be a bit closer to the big action. The parks -- Riverside and Morningside -- are nice, not quite as lush and scenic as uptown, but fine for a stroll on a nice day.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:42 AM

579 posts, read 945,549 times
You should also look in the Bronx in Kingsbridge or Bedford Park. Same type of neighborhoods with an easy commute to White Plains and downtown at lower rents. From Bedford Park, you even have the option of taking the Metro North to White Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City