Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:52 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
If we can't throw them on the ground, but you want them thrown away, then I'm a little confused.
What's so confusing? Throw your butts away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
If we can't throw them on the ground, but you want them thrown away, then I'm a little confused.
It's not that difficult to put it out on your shoe, then toss it in a trash can. Instead, people toss them onto the street, often with no regard for anyone walking by, pets, etc.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:15 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
It's not that difficult to put it out on your shoe, then toss it in a trash can. Instead, people toss them onto the street, often with no regard for anyone walking by, pets, etc.
Yes, it's so ridiculous.
Not only are smokers polluting the air, but then they throw lit burning objects as they walk by (their butts).
It is truly disgusting, not to mention dangerous, and I wish cops would start ticketing them.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 12,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, it's so ridiculous.
Not only are smokers polluting the air, but then they throw lit burning objects as they walk by (their butts).
It is truly disgusting, not to mention dangerous, and I wish cops would start ticketing them.
I agree. In Manhattan it's even worse in the business areas. What they do now is they stand on both sides of the sidewalk blowing their smoke into the area where everyone has to walk, which means that you're almost forced to inhale their second hand smoke. Then you have the ones that stand out in the street and smoke. It's like where are we supposed to walk to not have to smell that? It's bad enough with the exhaust fumes. There is one building near 6th Avenue and 49th street (near Simon & Schuster) that actually barricaded an area of the building to stop people from hiding and smoking. First they put up a no smoking sign, but they completely disregarded that and kept smoking there anyway, so they then used one of those police barricades to stop them. There was an entrance to the building that isn't currently being used where they would hide and smoke, and if you were walking by and went to inhale you would be hit with a large amount of cigarette smoke since they could not be seen until you passed by that area. Just what you want to smell when you're trying to get some sort of fresh air and walking briskly.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:17 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
HUD started this initiative in subsidized housing, working with select Housing Authorities, particularly in multi-family developments where children reside, to help reduce asthma rates and respiratory conditions, which, makes sense. However, it's not country wide.

When I attended NYU, my dorm neighbor smoked incessantly in his bedroom, and, since the walls were thin (it was an office building converted into residences), the smoke always traveled into my bedroom, and, it was gross. At the time, there wasn't much I could do.

However, dorms and public housing is a bit different than private multi-dwelling units. The ban proposed is voluntary, (lol), but, this is going to be quite difficult to enforce even if it were to become law, and, mandates on what you do in your home starts to encroach on a degree of personal freedom I think is somewhat ridiculous (he has more important things to handle at the moment). I'd rather him spend time coming up with a plan to designate places for those to smoke (with proper receptacles) outside so there isn't so much litter and their smoke doesn't impact others on streets, and, work on public health measures to reduce smoking in the first place.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:20 PM

15 posts, read 12,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
HUD started this initiative in subsidized housing, working with select Housing Authorities, particularly in multi-family developments where children reside, to help reduce asthma rates and respiratory conditions, which, makes sense. However, it's not country wide.

When I attended NYU, my dorm neighbor smoked incessantly in his bedroom, and, since the walls were thin (it was an office building converted into residences), the smoke always traveled into my bedroom, and, it was gross. At the time, there wasn't much I could do.

However, dorms and public housing is a bit different than private multi-dwelling units. The ban proposed is voluntary, (lol), but, this is going to be quite difficult to enforce even if it were to become law, and, mandates on what you do in your home starts to encroach on a degree of personal freedom I think is somewhat ridiculous (he has more important things to handle at the moment). I'd rather him spend time coming up with a plan to designate places for those to smoke (with proper receptacles) outside so there isn't so much litter and their smoke doesn't impact others on streets, and, work on public health measures to reduce smoking in the first place.
I agree on the last part. There definitely seems to be an uptick in the amount of smokers that I see on the streets.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumptownkoffee View Post
I agree on the last part. There definitely seems to be an uptick in the amount of smokers that I see on the streets.
Again the rot started when Bloomberg began his anti-smoking war.

First it was outside of office buildings. Then it was outside of bars, restaurants and nightclubs,

Now it pretty much is you cannot get away from someone smoking something on NYC streets. No place is either safe or sacred.

Even if you manage to say walk home and avoid commercial establishments where persons are smoking outdoors chances are good someone will be sitting on the stoop/outside your building puffing away.

What angers me is that especially in Manhattan many of the sidewalks are very narrow. You pass certain bars, restaurants or whatever and often you have two choices; go into the street or deal with walking through clouds of smoke. Third and Second Avenues on the UES come to mind. Mad River Bar is very offensive in this matter. Customers of that place pretty much take over the sidewalk even of the property next door and around the corner (former Asian Station restaurant). Happily though not for AS restaurant that building was demolished and new luxury housing is going up in its place. Cannot imagine once that is occupied residents are going to put up with the noise, smoke, litter and other nuisances for long.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am completely with those who would ban cigarette smoking anywhere within City limits.

But as a stop-gap measure, what I MUST have is a lack of cigarette smoke in my apartment when I am watching TV or trying to sleep or working at the computer.

Walking by smokers is bad enough but having a non-smoker's apartment (mine) fill with smoke 24/7/365 because some inconsiderate, dimwitted a**hole next door smokes like the little engine that COULD is beyond the pale.

So as a first step, I full endorse DeBlasio's attempt to stop smoking in multi family homes. If stronger measures are orioosed, I endorse them.

Private homes, another matter...if a person wants to eat a can of lye at home, that is his business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City