Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:42 PM

107 posts, read 85,538 times

Advertisements

NyWriterdude, I agree with you. When I said it is not always feasible to get keys and change locks so quickly, that was my point: he/she didn't even get a chance to install new locks. I also agree that, in Gaius' case, it was an inside job. However, I was speaking generally - the risks of not changing or adding locks can come from more than one direction. Hopefully there will be some real recourse for Gaius to take, especially since the burglary took place almost immediately upon his moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopted View Post
NyWriterdude, I agree with you. When I said it is not always feasible to get keys and change locks so quickly, that was my point: he/she didn't even get a chance to install new locks. I also agree that, in Gaius' case, it was an inside job. However, I was speaking generally - the risks of not changing or adding locks can come from more than one direction. Hopefully there will be some real recourse for Gaius to take, especially since the burglary took place almost immediately upon his moving in.
Putting on a new lock or changing it would certainly help protect against former tenants, but if management employees are that corrupt they likely have tools to just break in the apartment.

Lefrak City though privately owned basically became the housing projects. For years it was a terrible place to live and the fact that this happened to the OP and another person around the same time shows that Lefrak is still a dump.

Don't move into a building complex that has a bad reputation. Lefrak City needs to be sold to someone who basically buys everyone out, fires all the employees and starts from SCRATCH.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 AM

117 posts, read 137,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanks View Post
Why would you move to Lefrak city in the first place? It's a project. Of course you'll get robbed.

its not a project.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
its not a project.
It kind of is though. Just not NYCHA. Once upon a time it wasn't, but its been forced into one since.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Here are the reviews from Yelp. A couple mention thefts, but who knows, maybe the OP already made a review on Yelp to mention his/hers.

I glanced through the reviews and the saddest/most telling one I found was one that sounds all glowing and gives the place 4 stars. Unfortunately, the reviewer mentions two things he thinks are great, when in fact it sounds bad to me.

One is that the security guards are so friendly including "Mario who guards my dryer when I run back up to my apartment." The other is saying how the "people are good" -- so good that they won't steal packages off your doorstep. I find it depressing that two of the positive stories about this place are about (1) having to guard the clothing in your dryer while it is running and (2) being surprised and happy that your package didn't get stolen from outside your door.

LeFrak City - Apartments - LeFrak City - Corona, NY - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Last edited by Henna; 07-05-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
its not a project.
It defacto became the housing projects. Originally it was middle class housing and nice. Predominately white but there were Blacks and Hispanics there. The screening process was said to disproportionately affect Blacks and Hispanics so Lefrak was SUED. As a result they ended up taking in welfare people on Section 8 who weren't working (this was in the 70s). Lefrak quickly became as ghetto as any NYCHA building.

And ironically the earliest NYCHA's where the same way. You had to be working, and they verified employment. Moses decided to dump poor people into NYCHA (from slums he cleared) and at this time you had easy welfare money from the government.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It kind of is though. Just not NYCHA. Once upon a time it wasn't, but its been forced into one since.
People call Lefrak LeCRACK City.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People call Lefrak LeCRACK City.
I used to play ball in Hoffman Park and the Lost Battalion with kids from Lefrak back in the day. They were as ghetto as kids you'd find in Brooklyn.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM

81 posts, read 106,440 times
To quote the late and great Notorious B.I.G.

" From Watts to LeFrak it's not where you from it's where's ya gat".

Old 07-05-2015, 10:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
It's not always the landlord, nor the management but often it's the tenants that define a housing complex.

One would be hard pressed to find a nicer place to rent than Newport in Jersey City which is of course the jewel in the LeFrak crown. I loved living there but if I was going to buy it was going to be in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City