Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for burglary victims who once (or currently) lived in Lefrack City.

On the first day I got my keys and moved in, my apartment was burglarized when I was just returning the U-Haul. I did lock my door. The management clearly still had exclusive controls over the keys. All (including the police) said it should be an inside job, but there is no video camera on the floor or in the stairs.

Before I moved in, I saw a thread by a white female stating she was burglarized on the first day and moved out immediately. Since I've already signed the lease, I thought it was a rare exception that would not occur to me. Unfortunately, it did. I couldn't find that thread anymore.

Now I'm suing Lefrack City. If you know someone who's a burglary victim, please contact me at gaius2032@gmail.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 08:54 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,849,840 times
I was a Lefrakee (in NJ) for a while.
Story was that maintenance men were stealing refrigerators from storage and selling them. Caught and fired. I had no first hand knowledge of the scam though.

Several apartment robberies also occurred while I was a renter.

Anyone wonder why New Yorkers are loathe to give keys to landlords?
No landlord or managing agent will ever get my keys...EVER.

How much did you lose Gaius?

All in all though, I consider Lefrak a very good landlord, at least at Newport. I broke my lease and they charged me nothing, gave me my entire security deposit and even gave me a 2 week freebie when I couldn't get out in time. Of course I was as stellar a long term tenant as any they ever had.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 AM

515 posts, read 871,416 times
This is exactly the reason why I laugh at people who don't change their locks the second they move in because the landlord/lease told them it is against policy. An inside job burglary happened to me once and it will never happen again. I don't care what the landlord/lease says about changing locks, if they don't like my new locks they can kiss my butt.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I was a Lefrakee (in NJ) for a while.
Story was that maintenance men were stealing refrigerators from storage and selling them. Caught and fired. I had no first hand knowledge of the scam though.

Several apartment robberies also occurred while I was a renter.

Anyone wonder why New Yorkers are loathe to give keys to landlords?
No landlord or managing agent will ever get my keys...EVER.

How much did you lose Gaius?

All in all though, I consider Lefrak a very good landlord, at least at Newport. I broke my lease and they charged me nothing, gave me my entire security deposit and even gave me a 2 week freebie when I couldn't get out in time. Of course I was as stellar a long term tenant as any they ever had.

LeFrak in Queens is horrible. I lost 20k (Mac computers, cash, camera, Leica lenses, etcs), and indirect loss of data is hard to estimate.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
This is exactly the reason why I laugh at people who don't change their locks the second they move in because the landlord/lease told them it is against policy. An inside job burglary happened to me once and it will never happen again. I don't care what the landlord/lease says about changing locks, if they don't like my new locks they can kiss my butt.
Yes you're right.

They promise the lock is changed before you move in. The lease does not allow you to change the lock but allows you to install secondary lock; but they require you to hand in the key if you put a secondary lock.

If you do not obey, they would confiscate the security deposit.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:11 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,207 times
Even if your not going to change the locks on the front door, which you always should do in NYC, you should at minimum put keyed door knob locks on your bedroom doors, put anything of value inside the bedrooms, with the door locked.

This way when the theives get in the front door it will take them more time and or effort to either pick the lock or break the door to get into the bedrooms.

I also keep a webcam pointed at the front door when I leave for more than a day. As soon as it's activated I am immediately emailed a photo of the person who tripped the camera.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 5,733 times
Why would you move to Lefrak city in the first place? It's a project. Of course you'll get robbed.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:12 PM

107 posts, read 84,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Laugh at them? Why?--especially considering the same thing happened to you.

I am sorry that happened to you, Gaius. With all the many and mounting details involved in moving, it is not always feasible to coordinate the receiving of keys from the landlord and the arrival of a locksmith at precisely the same time, particularly when you are less familiar with your new neighborhood. Having said that, it really is good practice to either change the locks or add your own in addition to the ones already there whenever you move into a new apartment. Someone told me that the few burglaries that occur in my building are typically in homes where the new tenants failed to install new locks. Remember, not only might the staff have copies of the keys to your apartment, but the previous tenants, or one of their relatives/friends, might, as well. I hope they did not get much from you. It must be terrible to feel so violated as soon as you get into a new home. It should be a happy occasion.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,820,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopted View Post
Laugh at them? Why?--especially considering the same thing happened to you.

I am sorry that happened to you, Gaius. With all the many and mounting details involved in moving, it is not always feasible to coordinate the receiving of keys from the landlord and the arrival of a locksmith at precisely the same time, particularly when you are less familiar with your new neighborhood. Having said that, it really is good practice to either change the locks or add your own in addition to the ones already there whenever you move into a new apartment. Someone told me that the few burglaries that occur in my building are typically in homes where the new tenants failed to install new locks. Remember, not only might the staff have copies of the keys to your apartment, but the previous tenants, or one of their relatives/friends, might, as well. I hope they did not get much from you. It must be terrible to feel so violated as soon as you get into a new home. It should be a happy occasion.
There's no way the OP was robbed by previous tenants or relatives/friends. Whoever did the robbery knew exactly when the OP was going to be there.

It was an inside job and while changing the locks is of course a good idea, he didn't even have a chance to do that. He was robbed right after he moved in. Lefrak is responsible.

They need cameras on the floor and in the stairwell and they need to fire whoever was working that day.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 PM

107 posts, read 84,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiuskong View Post
Yes you're right.

They promise the lock is changed before you move in. The lease does not allow you to change the lock but allows you to install secondary lock; but they require you to hand in the key if you put a secondary lock.

If you do not obey, they would confiscate the security deposit.
I never changed the current locks. I install my own in addition, and I always take my locks with me when I vacate the primases. Good locks costs to much money to leave them behind each time I move, and I intend to use them again in my future residences. I always try to take care of my rental units as though they were my own, and My security deposit has never been withheld simply because of the hole left in the door when my personal lock is removed. In fact, I have moved into an apartment where there was already a hole in the door left from an earlier tenant who obviously did the same thing.

Gaius, I have read your estimate of how much was stolen from you since I wrote my first post in this thread. So sorry. I can imagine how I would feel if I were in your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City