Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
I posted the video because it is in keeping with what I have personally observed, especially among the all American black girls. If they grow up in a middle/upper income all American environment, chances are, they will be looking for the all American guy, like any other girl from that environment and more often than not, the guy will be white.
I can see why you might think this but I grew up in an upper class suburb and the majority of the black people I went to school with, even though it wasn't that many, married other blacks. Mind you, they were "black like them" (educated and upper class) but they were black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 12:50 PM

193 posts, read 282,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I can see why you might think this but I grew up in an upper class suburb and the majority of the black people I went to school with, even though it wasn't that many, married other blacks. Mind you, they were "black like them" (educated and upper class) but they were black.
I find that middle/upper middle class Black people are more inclined to marry other Black people if they come from families or communities where there is a strong sense of Black identity. I think of places like Prince George's County in Maryland, where almost everyone is in Jack and Jill or a legacy to a Black sorority/fraternity. These types of Black people with such ties definitely almost always marry other Black people, and usually only other Black people from their similar background. Middle/upper middle class Black people who don't have such social ties tend to be more inclined to date interracially. It also plays out on college campuses, at least in my experiences, that the Black men who dated interracially almost never were part of a historically Black fraternity. Almost all of the men I know who are part of D9 exclusively date Black women or prefer dating Black women; it's part of the culture and expectation in many ways. For the Black women, it's pretty much the same; almost all of the Black women I know who are apprehensive to or are not interested in dating interracially are part of a Black sorority, or social club like Jack and Jill, the Boule, etc.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:37 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
I find that middle/upper middle class Black people are more inclined to marry other Black people if they come from families or communities where there is a strong sense of Black identity. I think of places like Prince George's County in Maryland, where almost everyone is in Jack and Jill or a legacy to a Black sorority/fraternity. These types of Black people with such ties definitely almost always marry other Black people, and usually only other Black people from their similar background. Middle/upper middle class Black people who don't have such social ties tend to be more inclined to date interracially. It also plays out on college campuses, at least in my experiences, that the Black men who dated interracially almost never were part of a historically Black fraternity. Almost all of the men I know who are part of D9 exclusively date Black women or prefer dating Black women; it's part of the culture and expectation in many ways. For the Black women, it's pretty much the same; almost all of the Black women I know who are apprehensive to or are not interested in dating interracially are part of a Black sorority, or social club like Jack and Jill, the Boule, etc.

One of the angst on one of the colleges where there are protests about racism was that a (white) frat had a "whites girls only" party. They didn't advertise it as such, nor was there a sign, but when a black girl tried to enter that is what she was told. I suspect this girl is of the type who grew up in the suburbs around whites, as I suspect a more black identified female would be loathe to go into a white frat environment.

My point is that even those who grow up in the suburbs run into instances of racial "preference" AGAINST them, so I don't buy what a previous posted stated that "All American BLACK girls" instinctively date whites.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
One of the angst on one of the colleges where there are protests about racism was that a (white) frat had a "whites girls only" party. They didn't advertise it as such, nor was there a sign, but when a black girl tried to enter that is what she was told. I suspect this girl is of the type who grew up in the suburbs around whites, as I suspect a more black identified female would be loathe to go into a white frat environment.

My point is that even those who grow up in the suburbs run into instances of racial "preference" AGAINST them, so I don't buy what a previous posted stated that "All American BLACK girls" instinctively date whites.
How do you know where this woman grew up? And why are you making derogatory assumptions about Black women?

And what is a Black identified female?

You don't know anything about this Black woman, how she identifies, or where she is from and you make up stuff about her!

For the record I've known Blacks from BROOKLYN and the BRONX to go into WHITE FRAT environments. It all depends on the individual person. Stop stereotyping people.

With that said the other poster definitely stereotyped Black girls from the suburbs. They don't all date white men, and in fact you have many ghetto suburbs. Not everyone from the suburbs is well off or even middle class.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How do you know where this woman grew up? And why are you making derogatory assumptions about Black women?

You don't know anything about this Black woman, how she identifies, or where she is from and you make up stuff about her!

For the record I've known Blacks from BROOKLYN and the BRONX to go into WHITE FRAT environments. It all depends on the individual person. Stop stereotyping people.

With that said the other poster definitely stereotyped Black girls from the suburbs. They don't all date white men, and in fact you have many ghetto suburbs. Not everyone from the suburbs is well off or even middle class.

Just about every part of this is wrong or partially so.

Nobody could possibly be that incapable of seeing anything beyond some mythic "individual" based on a few people maybe encountered "from BROOKLYN" or "the BRONX."

Old 11-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Frat environment: Also my experience. I had the misfortune, beggars not being choosers - as happens at early career points - to teach at what I would call "Greek dominated" university environments.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
My observation also, and with people I met here who had gone to school elsewhere.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:

I think you write just to attract attention.

Where was there any derogatory remarks about black females.

Its quite clear what a black identified female is.

Were the blacks who you know who went into white frat environments WOMEN? It does make a difference, given that this can be a testosterone fueled environment, therefore potentially hostile to females. Please take account of where on these campuses most of the sex complaints have come from.

The fact that you are gay does limit who you are exposed to, you will admit.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Frat environment: Also my experience. I had the misfortune, beggars not being choosers - as happens at early career points - to teach at what I would call "Greek dominated" university environments.

Frats are facing increasing pressure on campuses. These are not the most comfortable environments for people who are outsiders to enter.

I boldly submit that a black woman going into these places will be one who is comfortable mixing with those who live there. Given that fraternities are almost as segregated as are churches, one can safely say that a white frat will have few black members.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Just about every part of this is wrong or partially so.

Nobody could possibly be that incapable of seeing anything beyond some mythic "individual" based on a few people maybe encountered "from BROOKLYN" or "the BRONX."
Quote:
Frats are facing increasing pressure on campuses. These are not the most comfortable environments for people who are outsiders to enter.

I boldly submit that a black woman going into these places will be one who is comfortable mixing with those who live there. Given that fraternities are almost as segregated as are churches, one can safely say that a white frat will have few black members.
Lol I the thread went from being about black women dating white men in NYC, and diverged into fraternities.

Activating mark Zuckerberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City