Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,978,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How is this ironic?

An African American could be 50% or more white depending on their family history and there are very Black Puerto Ricans.

Mariah Carey is mostly white but referred to by some as African American.
Her father is afro Venezuelan. If anything she is half Latina and half white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 07:27 PM

297 posts, read 293,428 times
Quote:
Many Blacks (Latino or non Latino) marry non Blacks, especially when they become more mainstream. Zoe Saladana married an Italian guy and Kanye West married Kim Kardashian.

Look at the women the rappers and athletes go after (whether American Black or Latino Black).

This just means American Blacks and Latino Blacks share the same attitudes towards other Blacks.
While Kanye married Kim, George Lucas married Melody Hobson (the President of Ariel Capital Investments LLC). It's unfortunate, but many wealthy black male entertainers appear to be perfectly content marrying any trashy non black woman, while the same is just not usually true for wealthy white entertainers, producers, actors, etc.

George Lucas made certain that his woman didn't need botox, breast implants, lip injections, butt implants, hair extensions and spray tans. He married a Princeton grad, who made her money, not on her back, but using her brain.

Melody is pushing 50 years old and still looks good!

(Photo Courtesy of: ET ONLINE.COM, website allows photo linkage and sharing, image is not copyrighted).

Old 07-08-2015, 07:28 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,193,711 times
Quote:
How is this ironic?

An African American could be 50% or more white depending on their family history and there are very Black Puerto Ricans.

Mariah Carey is mostly white but referred to by some as African American.
Interesting math considering her father was afro-latino

Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 PM

297 posts, read 293,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
Which is quite sad in my opinion. People who exclusively date outside of their race or who feel that by dating "out" is necessary when they move up the social ladder are suspicious to me.
Or maybe they just find it easier to date outside of their race. You would be surprised.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 PM

193 posts, read 281,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
Or maybe they just find it easier to date outside of their race. You would be surprised.
I don't think it's possible for it to be easier to date outside your race; American society/culture is WAY too obsessed with race. Think about how even in 2015 people still get crazy looks/stares from strangers for being out with their partner of a different race

Old 07-08-2015, 07:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,879,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Her father is afro Venezuelan. If anything she is half Latina and half white.
Dude must have had a lot of white ancestry himself there is no way she is half any kind of Black in appearance, facial features, hair texture she looks like any other white girl.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Sometimes being romantically involved with someone who reminds you of your family is a slight turnoff. Lol it probably sounds a little funny. Speaking for myself I always found women from other cultures more interesting. Hey you like what you like.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,879,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Interesting math considering her father was afro-latino
She never said her father was all the way African. Afro Latino could be someone who is only half or less Black but still has some visible African features. Mariah Carey is clearly mostly white.

Obama is an example of someone who is half white and half Black. You can look at him and tell he has Black ancestry.

It's not visible in Mariah.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,978,981 times
Quote:
Many Blacks (Latino or non Latino) marry non Blacks, especially when they become more mainstream. Zoe Saladana married an Italian guy and Kanye West married Kim Kardashian.

Look at the women the rappers and athletes go after (whether American Black or Latino Black)

This just means American Blacks and Latino Blacks share the same attitudes towards other Blacks.
You way watch too much of E entertainment Access Hollywood and Extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
I personally know that it's very possible for a Black American to be lighter/have more European ancestry than someone who is Hispanic (I have family members that are), but it's ironic because many people are ignorant and are too dense to know this as well. That's why I made the comment about people automatically assuming that my friend's mother is Puerto Rican and not her father, because people often automatically assume that all Hispanics are lighter skinned.

It is very possible. I a little over 1/3 African in my blood, and about the rest is half European equally divided by the British Isles and Iberian Peninsula. The other rest is small traces Asian Indian and Native American or Amerindian via a tribe called Wapishana. But again I'm not African American, but Guyanese American. I remember the time I was last with a black woman in her bedroom. I told her lets make some lightskin babies. She got upset, she put on her blue jeans, white belt, Pair of Air Jordan sneakers, leather jacket, grabbed her Michael Kors bag and she said I gotta go to my baby fathers and pick up my son. I never saw her again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua amante View Post
lol..well id say puerto ricans are usually the most open to dating african americans due to our history in new york

I grew up in northern california and they will have a significant amount of black/mexicans in the future. Theres alot of black guy/mexican girl couples out there
I usually see Puerto Rican women with black men. I rarely come across Puerto Rican men with Black women. I have came across plenty of Puerto Rican men with Italian or Irish women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Were those black guys in the yoga class gay?

Also, I can tell you first hand that in NYC, white collar white guys that work in offices do indeed date black women. They may "look" artsy but they work in offices.
My Hindu Guru suggested that I should take up Yoga and I did. I did Yoga the other day in Bryant Park. I got hit on by gay men. Therefore I'm going to stop doing Yoga and take up Tennis as another hobby.

Back to the topic. It really depends on where what meets and who. I knew a girl from high school who's parents were civil servants. The father is Irish American a typical ethnic white New Yorker, and the mother African American. I think both parents were cops.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Dude must have had a lot of white ancestry himself there is no way she is half any kind of Black in appearance, facial features, hair texture she looks like any other white girl.
Her hair is naturally very curly. When she started out in the 90s she was more obviously mixed looking . Also it's not unheard of for mixed people to favor one side more physically. Really now, you should know better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City