Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
This is very true I think the reason queens isn't viewed as much is because of how diverse the borough is plus those south east neighborhoods are a but quiter then the ones in Brooklyn and you can add In the West Indian parade.

Guyanese alone look like they are taking the borough over by storm lol.
True indeed, if the gentrification in BK continues the parade might just end up in Queens on Springfield Blvd between Merrick and the Belt Parkway lol.

Yea GT's are already in the process of taking over South Side and continue to spread out eastwards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 PM

334 posts, read 454,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Doesn't make it the best one however, not by a long shot.
Who said Queens was the best? I just stated the FACT that Queens is indeed the MOST diverse borough of all NYC boroughs.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Springfield Gardens is heavily Jamaican nowadays. Rosedale Jamaican and Haitian. The rest of the areas you mentioned have a mix of Caribbeans from all islands except for Richmond Hill and Ozone Park. Those are straight Indian GT with some Indian Trini mixed in.

But yes, overall southeastern Queens became heavily Caribbean over the the last 15 years.
Can't forget cambria heights aka little Haiti. I was on linden and 202 street and every business (even the bodegas) were Haitian owned. That area is also very nice and quite.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Brooklyn isn't really a Latino borough overall. It's a white/black borough moreso (Russians, Ukrainian, Jamaican, Haitians)

West Indians are to Brooklyn, what Hispanics are to the Bronx.

The main groups of Latinos in Brooklyn are Mexicans, Dominicans, Ricans, and Panamanians.

Panamanians in Brooklyn are more West Indian cultured so they for the most part live exclusively in black neighborhoods.

Dominicans are more isolated to the north of the borough and cypress hills.

Dominicans are a myth in southern Brooklyn.

The only main Hispanic groups that are scattered in Brooklyn are Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. But Ricans are more spread out whereas Mexicans live mainly in Hispanic areas or white areas.

Puerto Ricans live in mainly Hispanic areas and black areas and some in white areas.

Sorry for the grammar I didn't feel like writing neat.
What do you mean that Brooklyn is not really a Latino borough overall? I don't think any borough is necessarily strictly Latino, but NYC and all of it's boroughs do in fact have large sizable Latino populations and communities.

And why divide Brooklyn or any borough into strictly white/black. There is so much out there other than white and black and those that don't fit into a white Vs black paradigm.

I'd say that Borough is the second most diverse borough in NYC. Queens by far is the most diverse borough of all of NYC boroughs.

West Indian and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans ARE West Indians while at the same time Hispanic.

In addition to the Brooklyn Latino groups you mentioned, you left out Ecuadorians. There are a lot of Ecuadorians in Brooklyn. You also can't forget about Guatemalans as well.

Bronx has a very large growing Mexican population, especially South Bronx and Dominicans are giving Puerto Ricans a run for their money and numerical populations, as many Puerto Ricans have been moving down south or out to other areas of the USA.

Although we also can't forget about how many of all these areas are becoming "gentrified" these days, so dynamics, structure, and demographics are definitely changing.

Since when did West Indian and black mean the same thing? They are NOT and do not mean the same thing.

Also what do you mean by "more West Indian cultured"?? Panamanians tend to live in communities among their own and when not clustered among each other, they tend to live intermixed in any population regardless of race.*

Panamanians that are NOT of West Indian descent or come from more stereotypical Hispanic Panamanian backgrounds (of any race, all races, and/or any mix of races) tend to settle in boroughs outside of Brooklyn, like Queens and every other borough other than Brooklyn. Melissa De Sousa is Panamanian and grew up in Queens. She is NOT of any West Indian descent as far as I'm concerned to the best of my knowledge.

Also btw, the Panamanian day parade is held annually in Brooklyn usually in October, and November is usually the rain date, if any emergency or anything goes wrong during the month of October.

Dominicans are EVERYWHERE. You'll find Dominicans in places you would least expect. Dominicans do have a sizable presence in Brooklyn.

Heck there are some conspicuous populations and presence of Cubans as well in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn even has some scant populations of groups like Venezuelans, and Peruvians, and even Chileans, Argentineans etc.

Colombians have some existence in Brooklyn, but it's fairly small. If you want to find NYC Colombians, then Queens is the place to be and go.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I think you're overgeneralizing here.

Also, overlooking Bushwick and Sunset Park. Many of my Puerto Rican relatives moved straight to Brooklyn from Puerto Rico and some were born in Brooklyn and many are still there.

North Bronx also has a fairly large Jamaican community. You won't find the diversity of Caribbean groups like Brooklyn however.

What I love about the Caribbean neighborhoods of Brooklyn is that you will find people from almost every Caribbean island, including the smaller ones.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Brooklyn is where many migrants and immigrants settle historically and then they move into other boroughs if they don't decide to stay in Brooklyn.

There is a saying that everyone is from Brooklyn or has had to pass through Brooklyn at some point time, and this saying or theory still seems to hold true in shape or form.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
What do you mean that Brooklyn is not really a Latino borough overall? I don't think any borough is necessarily strictly Latino, but NYC and all of it's boroughs do in fact have large sizable Latino populations and communities.

And why divide Brooklyn or any borough into strictly white/black. There is so much out there other than white and black and those that don't fit into a white Vs black paradigm.

I'd say that Borough is the second most diverse borough in NYC. Queens by far is the most diverse borough of all of NYC boroughs.

West Indian and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans ARE West Indians while at the same time Hispanic.

In addition to the Brooklyn Latino groups you mentioned, you left out Ecuadorians. There are a lot of Ecuadorians in Brooklyn. You also can't forget about Guatemalans as well.

Bronx has a very large growing Mexican population, especially South Bronx and Dominicans are giving Puerto Ricans a run for their money and numerical populations, as many Puerto Ricans have been moving down south or out to other areas of the USA.

Although we also can't forget about how many of all these areas are becoming "gentrified" these days, so dynamics, structure, and demographics are definitely changing.

Since when did West Indian and black mean the same thing? They are NOT and do not mean the same thing.

Also what do you mean by "more West Indian cultured"?? Panamanians tend to live in communities among their own and when not clustered among each other, they tend to live intermixed in any population regardless of race.*

Panamanians that are NOT of West Indian descent or come from more stereotypical Hispanic Panamanian backgrounds (of any race, all races, and/or any mix of races) tend to settle in boroughs outside of Brooklyn, like Queens and every other borough other than Brooklyn. Melissa De Sousa is Panamanian and grew up in Queens. She is NOT of any West Indian descent as far as I'm concerned to the best of my knowledge.

Also btw, the Panamanian day parade is held annually in Brooklyn usually in October, and November is usually the rain date, if any emergency or anything goes wrong during the month of October.

Dominicans are EVERYWHERE. You'll find Dominicans in places you would least expect. Dominicans do have a sizable presence in Brooklyn.

Heck there are some conspicuous populations and presence of Cubans as well in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn even has some scant populations of groups like Venezuelans, and Peruvians, and even Chileans, Argentineans etc.

Colombians have some existence in Brooklyn, but it's fairly small. If you want to find NYC Colombians, then Queens is the place to be and go.
Brooklyn is a mostly white and black borough.

Panamanians in Brooklyn are West Indian cultured people, they live alongside other Caribbean people and participate in West Indian activities and have their own float in the West Indian day parade.

You will see little to barely any Panamanians living in hispanic neighborhoods throughout this whole city.

As far as Hispanics in Brooklyn. There is a large number of them but the only Latino neigjborhoods that exist are sunset park (mostly Mexican), cypress hills, bush wick and east Williamsburg.

Coney Island also has a lot of Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.

Bronx, queens, manhattan are by far more dominant in Hispanic culture and people then Brooklyn.

Btw Dominicans aren't everywhere in Brooklyn. If you want to count 1 person as being everywhere then you can say that for any group.

The southern end of Brooklyn barely has any Dominicans.

Ironically enough I only knew one dominican in my neighborhood and we are close friends. But crown heights is the last neighborhood going south where you will see a decent population of Dominicans.

And yes you are right there are Ecuadoreans and Guatemalans in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City