Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:09 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I'm not all that familiar with New York... Let's say from the bottom of NYC to the top, Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn? All of it.
I'm not even sure why you would want to travel from one reach of NYC to another. It is not as clear cut as that journey is in other cities. Think of NYC as a spoke and hub system. Manhattan is in the center, and is on its own island. To the West of Manhattan is New Jersey. To the North, South, and East of Manhattan is the rest of the city. You can drive into Manhattan from New Jersey. But if you want to take public transportation then you're going to take the PATH, which is a train. Last time I did that it was $10.50. If you're coming from an area separated by water, like Staten Island, then you'll take the ferry.

Long Island is Brooklyn and Queens. The areas connected to each other, by land, are Manhattan/Bronx, then Brooklyn/Queens, and then you have Staten Island. Those areas connected by land, the subway or the bus should work. But the bus in NYC shares the same lanes with the traffic so the subway will be faster. The streets in NYC are not as wide as they are in other cities, so the bus, as others have mentioned, is generally good when you're staying within a borough. Expressways, are elevated, so be prepared to drive on bridges that are longer and higher than what you find in other cities.

NYC is more of an aggregation of different counties under the same municipal government, than a traditional city, so your methods of transportation are going to change depending on which borough you're in. The answer to your question will vary depending on where you're going as it will what time of day, traffic patterns, etc. It is a very vague question because NYC is not your usual North/South, East/West, city like say, Chicago, or Cleveland.

If you're really lost, then just use Google Maps or something. It worked for me in Manhattan well. Not sure how well it will work in the other boroughs. The only issue I had is construction in the subway that blocked off the route it suggested, so I had to walk to a different station to pick up a train I would not have taken otherwise. But the workers there were able to steer me in the right direction, and they were nice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Whoa! $120 bucks for a one month pass!? WTF??!??
Yes. If the fare is $2.75 each way, and you take it to work each way you're looking at, potentially, $170 a month. Or $110 a month for a 5 day work week. That is unlimited, so you're actually saving money if you go other places on the train, which you probably will. Plus, if you get off of one train and get on another, or have to take the combination of a train and a bus, you're looking at far more than that.

$120 is a deal.

It adds up over time. Look at it this way; in Hampton Roads it is $60 for a monthly pass, but $110 a month for the Max pass. The Max allows you to go from one city to another in the region. This is basically the same thing the MTA is offering for $120 in NYC; our Max service, going from one city to another is the same as going from one borough to another in NYC.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:36 AM

575 posts, read 672,325 times
Quote:
Whoa! $120 bucks for a one month pass!? WTF??!??
Well, $116.50 for 30 day unlimited and $31 for 7 days. Good for the subways and local bus.

As to you WTF??, you could have a car but parking in Manhattan would take your breath away as to cost. That's why there is no one size fits all answer to your question. If you are coming for a visit, get a 7 day Metro Card and an App for your phone. IMHO you will be ahead of the game with the 7 day card, if you are doing lots of stuff, even if your trip is only 4-5 days. The "card day" ends at midnight so day one is gone pretty fast. If you are trying to save on lodging costs, like with airbnb, to me it would be critical to be a very short walk to a subway station.

If you pretty much stayed in Brooklyn, as an example, you could have a car, but you have to change sides of the street, to allow for street cleaning. You don't have to have an unlimited Metro Card. You could pay as you go with a Metro Card that is prepaid. If you are 60 or over with a drivers license from any state, or any passport, you get a Reduced Fare, pretty much half price, on subways and buses. You pay the single fare price and get a freebie.

In my case, I pretty much take the L from Brooklyn to Union Square, then the 4/5 (both are Express) downtown or uptown 80-90% of the time, with an occasional transfer to the 6, a local train. To and from airports I use a car service. Late nights, if not the Subway, I use Uber on a short ride or a car service on a longer ride. Uber prices are based on time and distance, while the car services are pretty much on distance. From my apt, the walk to the subway is 6 minutes. To/from my Downtown destination in Manhattan, the subway is literally across the street. To my Uptown destination, it's 2 long blocks and 2 short blocks, about 8-10 minutes. Avenue to Avenue blocks are about 3-4 times longer than street to street. Nasty rain or wet snow-for me, all bets are off. A short Uber X ride is $8. I'm too old to suffer the walk in a driving rain, or risk a slip & fall if ice is involved.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 AM

779 posts, read 927,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yes. If the fare is $2.75 each way, and you take it to work each way you're looking at, potentially, $170 a month. Or $110 a month for a 5 day work week. That is unlimited, so you're actually saving money if you go other places on the train, which you probably will. Plus, if you get off of one train and get on another, or have to take the combination of a train and a bus, you're looking at far more than that.

$120 is a deal.

It adds up over time. Look at it this way; in Hampton Roads it is $60 for a monthly pass, but $110 a month for the Max pass. The Max allows you to go from one city to another in the region. This is basically the same thing the MTA is offering for $120 in NYC; our Max service, going from one city to another is the same as going from one borough to another in NYC.
In Raleigh, a day pass is $2.50. An unlimited monthly pass is $45.00... That's a deal. $120.00 a month for bus fare sounds like a bit of a rip IMHO.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
In Raleigh, a day pass is $2.50. An unlimited monthly pass is $45.00... That's a deal. $120.00 a month for bus fare sounds like a bit of a rip IMHO.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. Our Max takes you back and forth in a seven city region. Each of those cities are counties. Same as in NYC each of those counties are boroughs. So we're talking about land areas that are of a similar size. Our Max monthly pass is $110, and NYC metro monthly pass is $120 a month. If you don't need the service of the Max, you can get a monthly pass for $60 a month, which is only $15 more than your system.

A day pass is higher in Hampton Roads ($4). But that system might cover more ground than Raleigh's system. So it balances out.

Where I'm from, the monthly pass is $50. There are two lines that go into Cleveland, which is in a different county.

Also consider the difference in size. Raleigh is 142 square miles on land, NYC is 304 square miles on land. Hampton Roads is 527 square miles on land. And our ridership numbers are very low, as a disproportionate percentage here have their own mode of transportation, so you're paying the difference. Plus Raleigh does not have rail yet. Prices are just higher the further North you go, for whatever reason. Looking at it from that perspective, and taking fuel costs into consideration, the numbers sound about right.

The MTA has 310 bus routes, 25 rapid routes, and 16 commuter routes. We're not even talking about the subway. As far the subway, there are 34 lines, and one under construction. Add all of that up and you're talking about a system that is at least 8 times as large as anything either one of us are used to. That doesn't come cheap.

Last edited by goofy328; 07-19-2015 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understood what I was saying. Our Max takes you back and forth in a seven city region. Each of those cities are counties. Same as in NYC each of those counties are boroughs. So we're talking about land areas that are of a similar size. Our Max monthly pass is $110, and NYC metro monthly pass is $120 a month. If you don't need the service of the Max, you can get a monthly pass for $60 a month, which is only $15 more than your system.

A day pass is higher in Hampton Roads ($4). But that system might cover more ground than Raleigh's system. So it balances out.

Where I'm from, the monthly pass is $50. There are two lines that go into Cleveland, which is in a different county.

Also consider the difference in size. Raleigh is 142 square miles on land, NYC is 304 square miles on land. Hampton Roads is 527 square miles on land. And our ridership numbers are very low, as a disproportionate percentage here have their own mode of transportation, so you're paying the difference. Plus Raleigh does not have rail yet. Prices are just higher the further North you go, for whatever reason. Looking at it from that perspective, and taking fuel costs into consideration, the numbers sound about right.

The MTA has 310 bus routes, 25 rapid routes, and 16 commuter routes. We're not even talking about the subway. As far the subway, there are 34 lines, and one under construction. Add all of that up and you're talking about a system that is at least 8 times as large as anything either one of us are used to. That doesn't come cheap.
I see, so is Manhattan and "The Bronx" considered to be in the same "borough"?

Old 07-19-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I see, so is Manhattan and "The Bronx" considered to be in the same "borough"?
Nevermind, I Googled it.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:04 PM

575 posts, read 672,325 times
Quote:

Hey Goofy:

I've been out of town since the 4th, and maybe a bunch came on line, but I can't list anywhere near 34 Subway lines. Could you please enlighten me?

Thanks,
TK

Old 07-19-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Hey Goofy:

I've been out of town since the 4th, and maybe a bunch came on line, but I can't list anywhere near 34 Subway lines. Could you please enlighten me?

Thanks,
TK
You would know better than me. I haven't been in town in 2 years. Wikipedia as a source does not compare with being there. My point is that you can't compare a system like Raleigh's with one that is orders of magnitude larger, and one that has modes of transportation Raleigh does not. Of course you already knew this.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Hey Goofy:

Thanks,
TK
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_Subway_lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City