Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 PM

291 posts, read 397,671 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My GF is coming with me to NYC for the first time. She has never been to the city. Outside of the typical tourist traps, what should we try to see/do while there? This can include attractions, events, food, sights, etc.

We will be there in mid sept for a few days.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 05:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Horse back riding in Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx. It's very scenic too. You can sure her across the long Island sound and say that where the great gatsby story takes place.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 PM

292 posts, read 703,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
Hi all,

My GF is coming with me to NYC for the first time. She has never been to the city. Outside of the typical tourist traps, what should we try to see/do while there? This can include attractions, events, food, sights, etc.

We will be there in mid sept for a few days.

Thanks!
Check out Events calendar for 2015: The essential events in NYC this year where you can explore all the events that are happening in NYC. You may not be able to get away from the "tourist attractions" since many local natives will be there as well.

New and old iconic eateries (as tourist, you may want to check these out to boast later, lol):
Johns; 278 Bleecker Street and Lombardi's Pizza (32 Spring Street; a tourist trap but it's the "first" pizzeria that open in NYC)
Jimmy's Diner (a hole in the wall place but the food is good; in Williamsburg, Brooklyn)
Juniors in Brooklyn (only for the cheesecake, the food is eeeeh, lol)
Serendipity 3 (I like it)
Shake Shack (the only time I eat red meat) several locations
Amy Ruth's and Sylvia's (Good ol' Harlem; southern food)
Somethinggreek (in Bayridge on 3rd avenue)
Luger (the food is sub-par but it's a tourist trap) in Manhattan
Dominique Ansel Bakery (overpriced cronut (croissant and donut)) in Manhattan
Gloria's (West Indian food...roti and other stuff) in Crown heights, Brooklyn
Traif (Williamsburg)
Cakeman Raven (East NY, Brooklyn, only open for a few hours during the day)
Gray's Papaya (It's a must. They are open in the wee hrs of the night. Their hotdogs are better than the street vendors, lol.) There is only one location left so hopefully it will still be open when you get here.
Gloria's Global Soul (Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, not too far from the Brooklyn Musuem, Underhill Avenue)

My list is just pure randomness yet subjective; I can go oooooooooon, too. I mean, I think you just gotta do your research. These are just a few of my recommendations/opinions and may not be agreed by everyone here.

Parties....not sure if you will be partying but if you are interested, I can list some spots (like Santos, it's popping on Fridays). Since you will be here in Sept, there is the "fun" West Indian parade to explore along with other cultural events. Summerstage at Central Park and other parks in NYC (some are free, some aren't). You can check out the Barclay's Center (nothing to scream about and MSG is still better). My fam is West Indian and we have been going for a long time but a few years I had stopped going. Last year, I took my son so he can see it. I mean, he is still young. I go early and leave early before it gets crazy

Let me know if you need other information. Have a safe trip to NYC!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:28 PM

566 posts, read 503,730 times
Check out Coney Island, then Brighton Beach, then Emmons ave, then Manhattan beach.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
In September: Broadway Week NYC - 2-for-1 Tickets to Broadway Shows / nycgo.com

Is one of your days Thurs. Sept. 10? Does she like plants and flowers?
GARDEN TOUR: Gardening in the Sky | Friends of the High Line
but you have to wake up early; tour is from 9 -10 a.m.; RSVP

Special Exhibit Opening Sept 8, runs thru December (closed on Mondays) --
Outdoor sculpture by Japanese-American artist Isamu Noguchi, installed at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden (take the 2 or 3 train to Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum stop)
Isamu Noguchi at Brooklyn Botanic Garden - Brooklyn Botanic Garden

Is she spiritual and might like Harlem Gospel music from a church choir? This 4 or 5 hour tour includes music, neighborhood history, and some have a meal. My mom and her friend took this once because they were curious to explore Harlem and didn't know how else to do it. They enjoyed their day.
Harlem Gospel Tours: Best Harlem Tours and Gospel Music in NYC | Harlem Spirituals

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 07-15-2015 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-16-2015, 05:02 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I suggest the new WTC/Freedom Tower Observatory. Although it is pricey it is well worth the visit.

Also I suggest taking the short (approx. 5 min.) tram (cable car) ride from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island. Then take the short walk along the southwest side promenade to the tip of the island where there is the Roosevelt Memorial and an excellent view together of Manhattan as well as Queens (with Brooklyn further away).

Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 PM

291 posts, read 397,671 times
Great suggestions everyone! Thank you all very much for the thoughts and input! This will definitely be a fun trip

Old 07-16-2015, 01:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalltheway View Post

New and old iconic eateries (as tourist, you may want to check these out to boast later, lol):
Johns; 278 Bleecker Street and Lombardi's Pizza (32 Spring Street; a tourist trap but it's the "first" pizzeria that open in NYC)
Jimmy's Diner (a hole in the wall place but the food is good; in Williamsburg, Brooklyn)
Juniors in Brooklyn (only for the cheesecake, the food is eeeeh, lol)
Serendipity 3 (I like it)
Shake Shack (the only time I eat red meat) several locations
Amy Ruth's and Sylvia's (Good ol' Harlem; southern food)
Somethinggreek (in Bayridge on 3rd avenue)
Luger (the food is sub-par but it's a tourist trap) in Manhattan
Dominique Ansel Bakery (overpriced cronut (croissant and donut)) in Manhattan
Gloria's (West Indian food...roti and other stuff) in Crown heights, Brooklyn
Traif (Williamsburg)
Cakeman Raven (East NY, Brooklyn, only open for a few hours during the day)
Gray's Papaya (It's a must. They are open in the wee hrs of the night. Their hotdogs are better than the street vendors, lol.) There is only one location left so hopefully it will still be open when you get here.
Gloria's Global Soul (Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, not too far from the Brooklyn Musuem, Underhill Avenue)

Neither Sylvia's or Amy Ruth's is any good at all. Sylvia's in particular is simply awful and astoundingly expensive.

Better, Red Rooster, Melba's, or Londel's - but the one uptown rather than the "new" one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: