Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:15 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times

Advertisements

So, im a foreinger who never visited new york (and wont go in the near future, though i hope i can visit once before i die), and, like most people in the world, i grew up watching NY in many many many movies when i was little.
Then, i read many many books in where NY was a protagonist (like Paul Auster books). Most of woody allen movies are in NY, i watched them all.
Tv shows like seinfeld, friends or sex and the city. All new york.

Growing up consuming all this NY material, i often find myself wondering: how is life really there? Is it fun, stressful, are people as neurotic as in seinfeld/woody? Are women as sexually liberals as the girls of SATC? Are people there more open and progressive than in the rest of USA? Is it safe? Does it have that much nightlife? Are newyorkers really rude? Is the central park that gorgeous? Is it really very expensive to live alone? Is life impossible or easy to afford for the 20 something crowd?

I dont know, feel free to ignore all my "commonplace" questions if you want, and answer your own, but im fascinated with what i know of this city through literature and movies, and would love to read newyorkers opinions about real life in the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
It's really like a living hell. The stuff you saw was just Hollywood fantasy.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:56 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree that movies are just Hollywood fantasy but it is not a living hell.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
It's fast-paced. TV and movies glamorize it but it's dirty, it's loud, and it's crude. It's my hometown and I loved growing up here but it's somewhat exhausting now.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:41 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Only difference is that hell is less crowded.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM

782 posts, read 858,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Growing up consuming all this NY material, i often find myself wondering: how is life really there? Is it fun, stressful, are people as neurotic as in seinfeld/woody? Are women as sexually liberals as the girls of SATC? Are people there more open and progressive than in the rest of USA? Is it safe? Does it have that much nightlife? Are newyorkers really rude? Is the central park that gorgeous? Is it really very expensive to live alone? Is life impossible or easy to afford for the 20 something crowd?
-Life here is both fun and stressful at the same time. There is a lot to see and do and a lot of commotion in most part of the city. It is also crowded, expensive and sometimes dirty.

-People here are more neurotic about certain things that may not trigger neurosis for non New Yorkers...for example: there are very specific ways to walk up and down subway stairs. These are largely common sense things though.

-People here are generally more open and progressive than most of the US; much like Los Angeles, NYC skews Liberal.

-NYC, for a city of it's size, is actually very safe.

-New Yorkers are not any ruder than average. Most are nice, decent people.

-Central Park is nice, and has a lot of historical value. I wouldn't go so far as to say gorgeous. Places like the Bronx or Brooklyn Botanic Gardens are way more 'gorgeous'

-It is really expensive to live alone, especially in Manhattan and some popular parts of Brooklyn. You cannot live alone for less than $1000 rent for sure (under $1200 really) and if you do find something around that range, you will be in a more remote area in an old apartment.

The city certainly does have some elements of these TV/Movie portrayals, though they are somewhat romanticized. Really, this is just a very large, very densely populated city with a very diverse population and very diverse range of socioeconomic statuses.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:58 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,616 times
the girls are sexy (they actually dress like girls and not like men like they do in the boroughs - yuck! disgusting), incredible public transit service, i mean like wow, you really don't need a car at all and if you do uber and taxis are everywhere. you can now even use citibikes for exercise and grocery hauling (light weight). the city is FILLED with energy. that's the #1 thing you take from there. everyone is achieving and moving and doing. it is good to keep you alive and fresh.

note that nyc really ends at (maximum) about 86th street. if you go any higher than that, you will run into ghettos like harlem, spanish harlem and all kinds of heights (washington heights comes to mind). ideally you want to live in the 90s or lower. even 90s is pushing it but midtown and lower nyc is the way to go and really enjoy.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM

61 posts, read 61,591 times
There is no one NYC experience.

Ask a wealthy person like Jamie Dimon, Taylor Swift, or one of the Rotschilds who live in NYC what NYC is like, they will say magical, fabulous, stupendous, glamorous. After all, NYC is the center of people like this and luxury home sales. It's extremely desirable.

Ask a middle or upper middle class New Yorker what their experience is like, it will vary - some will say awesome, eclectic or expensive. Some will tell you it's hard - it's very expensive. New York is a very expensive city, but full of things to do. You never really get bored.

Ask poor people who live in the Bronx like "Bronxguyanese" (and half of this forum - who else has time to sit around here like they do) what it's like and they'll say "HELL" because they think their pathetic existence in their poverty and sad section of town is representative of NYC. LOL, poor things. Don't come to Los Angeles and ask someone in Compton what living in LA is like haahha.

I've lived in NYC for a year and I say it was sublime. Lived in Downtown Manhattan - West Village, had my nice corner stores - butcher, deli, cobbler - all who knew me by name (felt like living in a small town) went to museums on the weekends, took nice jogs along the Hudson, met my friends at the famous restaurants, watched sail boats on the Hudson while I had things like in-house masseuse (it's NYC - every single thing is deliverable or on demand), did the "glamorous" nightlife thing. Life was perfect.

Loved it.

Last edited by Charles V; 07-16-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 09:04 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles V View Post
There is no one NYC experience.

I've lived in NYC for a year and I say it was sublime.
Loved it.
You haven't DONE NYC if you only lived there for *****ONE YEAR. ROFLMAO

You went on a honeymoon then left out the back door. Stay a while next time and let us know how it's going in 8-10 YEARS.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:39 AM

61 posts, read 61,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You haven't DONE NYC if you only lived there for *****ONE YEAR. ROFLMAO

You went on a honeymoon then left out the back door. Stay a while next time and let us know how it's going in 8-10 YEARS.
Should have noted - I actually lived there for five years. I went to NYU for four years then lived as a working-adult for 1 year after graduation. As in paying my own bills/being an independent adult in NYC. Family business brought me back to my hometown.

I would have happily stayed there permanently. I am a very well-travelled person and NYC is such a special city. My favorite, along with London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City