Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:35 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Can you get a box fan/AC unit instead? (Even the portable ones work well) Or perhaps even a security gate? having the fire escape window open is not a great ideas as it's often easy access esp in the Summer where people hang out on rooftops in many places. At least put something on the windowsill that will make some noise if someone enters. A can of marbles, cheap figurines etc.

This stuck a chord with me due to my longtime fear of waking up to someone standing over me that does not belong there. A small part of the reason I had large dogs in the past.
I have an air-conditioner in another window as well as a stand-up fan. I just can't tolerate sleeping with either one of them on. Being that I don't live on a street level (or 1st) floor in a good neighborhood, there has never been a problem until this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
There are clip locks that you can put on your window so it won't open any further than whatever point you decide. We used them for years when we lived on the first floor and needed to keep the window open overnight:

Prime-Line Products U 10551 Window Lock, Economy, Aluminum with Rubber Insert - Sliding Window Lock - Amazon.com
I will look into this option and see if it is a relevant one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My fire escape window is the now window that gives my small apt. could air flow so it is essential that I keep open at night whether isn't warm enough for me to use the air-conditioning. I live in a relatively safe neighborhood so the whole thing was quite of a shocking incident. My brother who was visiting at the time looks out and saw the person still climbing above and didn't think much of it and that is probably why I didn't immediately call the police. But if this ever happens again, I will be dialing 911 immediately.

You said some key words there "relative" and "safe". Nine times out of ten it isn't local residents breaking into apartments (unless you live in that sort of hood), but persons who like that man who robbed banks because that is where the money was came from elsewhere.

Females have been attacked/raped, theft, assaults, etc... all have occurred because someone climbed through an open window. Does it happen everywhere and all the time? No, but never the less it does to the point thought should be given.

I personally would not leave *ANY* window open that faces a fire escape without some sort of protection.

You are aware that NYC roof tops function like a sort of street in the sky don't you? Going back ages persons have used going from building to building via the roof as an alternative to the streets. This is not lost upon those with criminal intent and they have been known to use fire escapes and or drain pipes as a means to get from the roof down into apartments.

Years ago worked with someone who lived in Brooklyn. One day they were home sick from work and went into the kitchen from bedroom to find some black guy climbing down from the drain pipe into the kitchen window which was open. They screamed and asked who TF the guy was and what he was doing. He replied "oh I was looking for a friend" and quickly reversed back up the drain pipe onto the roof and got away. By the time NYPD arrived he was long gone. Person moved shortly afterwards.

For someone living in a high rise without fire escapes and or drain pipes that is another matter. But for those living in low rise buildings and or tenements things are different.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:24 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
call the police. the guy could have been on drugs or even an ex-con. who knows?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

You are aware that NYC roof tops function like a sort of street in the sky don't you? Going back ages persons have used going from building to building via the roof as an alternative to the streets. This is not lost upon those with criminal intent and they have been known to use fire escapes and or drain pipes as a means to get from the roof down into apartments.
There are no other apt. buildings adjacent to mine on any of the 4 sides of my building: 2 sides are a street corner intersection, the 3rd side is a row of one story stores and the 4th side is a driveway next to a 2 story home (the first in the row of private houses).

Old 08-03-2015, 01:08 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Cops: Staten Island ex-con groped sleeping woman in West Village apartment | SILive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: