Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 AM

15,841 posts, read 14,469,933 times

Advertisements

Someone needs to bring the MTA unions to heal

25 percent of MTA workers earned six-figure salaries last year | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,168 times
I don't mind the pay. Noone said MTA workers shouldn't make six figures. The incompetence, however, is unforgivable.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:12 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's the overtime... Base pay for alot of these transit workers is in the 60-80K range but it's insanely easy to make overtime. Again I agree with Adhom's statements, nobody here is for communism... But when you see that guys with absolutely no qualifications (barely a GED), are making 100K doing absolutely nothing, something has gone wrong with the system. There's a guy I know who started out as a transit worker making $27/Hr, now he's working in an office doing who knows what for about 85K... If you see the guy's social media sites, all he does while he's at work is make videos of himself and edit them... This is who they're paying the big bucks. Meanwhile people are killing themselves out there getting a master's degree that may very well never end up paying full dividends.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:23 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,520 times
i get off at coney island on the q train and then routinely see a black worker (i have NEVER ever seen a white worker who cleans the cars and very rarely a conductor or train operator who is white - it's mostly black - "cute" reverse racism/job discrimination going on here) who is a high school dropout sweeping the cars making $20 or so an hour. that job isn't even worth $8 an hour. but am i to blame him? not really.

i want to blame these workers but it's not them. there's a lot of money siphoning going on behind the scenes. every few years, i read, "mta is going bankrupt! we need to raise fares!" there's a lot of middle management that is raking in the dough and yes overtime is adding to their inflated salaries too.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
I literally could not imagine a worse model workplace of efficiency than the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority.

If it is the foundation of all of New York's infrastructure, without strict federal intervention, the state is completely screwed.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Mta might go the same route as Greece someday.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 AM

5,118 posts, read 4,966,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Yes, someone has to do it. But who has the guts or the wits to start a fair pay movement between mta workers and other labor jobs in the city?

The state-supported monopoly has a big part to do with the sucking mat system. I like those shuttle services between Chinatown in queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn. They save you lots of time going back and forth between these Boris without charging you the express bus fees.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:40 AM

515 posts, read 875,313 times
Sounds like most of you guys are butt hurt liberal arts majors with master degrees and PhDs that happen to be corporate slaves. Don't hate on somebody with a GED who makes more than you, has better benefits than you, has a great union to back him/her up and most importantly - chose a more financially beneficial career path.

Also, don't forget, the MTA is a privately owned public entity. This means the MTA's expenses are subsidized by your taxes because they provide an affordable fare rate. If you don't want a quarter of MTA workers making six figures, you'd have to bring in a corporation AKA a profit maximizing machine. They would effectively slash workers salaries, get rid of the union protecting these workers and they would automatically raise one swipe of the metrocard to $25, not $3 (or whatever it is now) just to break even. The price would be raised so drastically because these corporations wouldn't receive government help, unless of course you're talking about the bailout they would need every couple of years. Most of you corporate slaves would have to start walking to work because I highly doubt your company would afford for that big of a travel expense.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't any corruption in the MTA because I'm sure there is. But you guys are looking at the small fish. Open your eyes and start looking at the big fish. The fact that you all seem educated (judging on grammar) and you're reading and linking the NYPost! HAHAHA! I wouldn't wipe my ass with that POS joke of a newspaper. Most importantly, you guys b*tch way too much about the MTA. The city would crumble without it.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:54 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Sounds like most of you guys are butt hurt liberal arts majors with master degrees and PhDs that happen to be corporate slaves. Don't hate on somebody with a GED who makes more than you, has better benefits than you, has a great union to back him/her up and most importantly - chose a more financially beneficial career path.

Also, don't forget, the MTA is a privately owned public entity. This means the MTA's expenses are subsidized by your taxes because they provide an affordable fare rate. If you don't want a quarter of MTA workers making six figures, you'd have to bring in a corporation AKA a profit maximizing machine. They would effectively slash workers salaries, get rid of the union protecting these workers and they would automatically raise one swipe of the metrocard to $25, not $3 (or whatever it is now) just to break even. The price would be raised so drastically because these corporations wouldn't receive government help, unless of course you're talking about the bailout they would need every couple of years. Most of you corporate slaves would have to start walking to work because I highly doubt your company would afford for that big of a travel expense.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't any corruption in the MTA because I'm sure there is. But you guys are looking at the small fish. Open your eyes and start looking at the big fish. The fact that you all seem educated (judging on grammar) and you're reading and linking the NYPost! HAHAHA! I wouldn't wipe my ass with that POS joke of a newspaper. Most importantly, you guys b*tch way too much about the MTA. The city would crumble without it.
Where are you getting this nonsense? Have you been to a subway in Hong Kong? It is owned by a private corporation. It is ultra modern, clean, safe, and expansive. The fares range from 45 cents to 6 bucks based on the distance, on average its about $2, actually cheaper than NYC subway. And guess what? It actually makes a profit, with no government subsidies! In fact, Hong Kong metro corporation made $2 billion in profit last year. They put the profits into expanding and modernizing the system. A lot of it is done through cost savings on labor, and supplementing workers with technology, instead of a jobs program that is the MTA. This is what Hong Kong subway command center looks like, from where they track all of the trains:

Old 07-17-2015, 11:03 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post

Cite your sources.

Also, read what some other posters have mentioned- the salaries are egregious because the service provided is downright, not good.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with your fish metaphor, and frankly I'm not sure you are either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City