Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 02:47 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times

Advertisements

also if you're a college kid, why not live out of a van or a car? i would rather sleep in heated cardboard boxes in the winter than go into bed at night knowing i will be food for bedbugs as i sleep. i simply couldn't sleep or live like that. and yeah lotterygurl is right. the farther away ya go from nyc, the less the chance of these critters. if you must be in manhattan, this is an issue you will face. rats mice and roaches are also fair game and to be expected unless obviously you move into new construction condos which does not apply to you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Bed Bug extermination is a Billion Dollar business. It is one of those businesses that thrives on the ignorance of the victim.
I agree 100% and lots of landlords don't care as long as they get that rent money.a person's health is at
Risk. If that was me, the landlord would not be getting my rent.and with doctor's documents and proof
Of having bedbugs.that foolish landlord would be in court.when a place is treated for bed bugs,I think
They treat every three months, I bet that landlord does not enter any of his tenant's apartments...😦..

Old 07-19-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
It's unfortunate but his rent is $800 and he can't afford anything above that and even struggles to pay $800 so he stays where he knows he can pay.

I get nervous just having dinner or watching a movie with him. I'm very careful when I'm around him and keep sufficient distance. I don't let him enter my apartment until I heat treat everything. We have a routine going when he does come to visit. Hes so put off by my conditions before he enters that he rarely visits anymore.

I hope his infestation isn't as severe as I imagine it to be. It would be awful if he was infesting the movie theaters and office buildings of NYC. It goes to show you what people on a budget resort to.

Also, a friend of mine who worked in the office building next to my office informed me her floor has an infestation. So the bed bug dog would come inspect the office and everyday at 5pm when everyone gets ready to leave the office, the dog barks. The exterminators come and start fumigating. This went on for months cause the dog smelled the bed bugs every day. People would come to work every morning and their be bed bug chemicals over everyone's chair and cubicble.

sad on so many levels.
Yes he is investing the movie thearter. And those worker's should not be working or sitting in that cubicble.
Until Rosco The Bed Bug dog STOP'S !! BARKING. Be happy that your friend stop visiting because, those bug's
Would have soon entered your apartment, they might get tired of his blood, and smell your fresh blood and BOOM!!
Bed bugs are like vampire's. They come out in the dark and suck your blood for as long as they can while your sleeping
Your friend must have stop coming over in fear..😨 ..😨.. That you might throw him in your washer machine. Sorry
but I just had to say that..😁..HA!!! He did you a BIG! Favor...😉.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beakers91 View Post
As long as we get a positive response I'm ready to move forward with lease signing. Would you live in a building that had a bed bug complaint?
Yes, as long as I found evidence that the situation had been abated in the past. Also it would help my decision if the apartment in question was far from the one I was considering.

Now it's Summer...I go nuts with every mosquito bite, and I attract them like no other person I have ever met. And the bites ALWAYS get infected and take weeks to cure.

Bedbugs scare the bejeesus out of me.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yes, as long as I found evidence that the situation had been abated in the past. Also it would help my decision if the apartment in question was far from the one I was considering.

Now it's Summer...I go nuts with every mosquito bite, and I attract them like no other person I have ever met. And the bites ALWAYS get infected and take weeks to cure.

Bedbugs scare the bejeesus out of me.
Me too, because they hide everywhere inside rugs. Rugs are made for people, pets, everything that walks, and
Crawls pass threw rugs. Bed Bug bites itch like hell it feels like being pinch with burning needle's non stop
I experienced the bed bug bites. My doctor had to give me shot's for infection, pills for the itching and
Cream's for my skin. My skin looked bad, people would stare at me. And it made me feel uncomfortable.
I'm a very clean and neat person my apartment was spotless.

The land lord had to get all rugs pull out and they spray for treatment.I could not stay in my apt. Until treatment was finish.
land lord was upset because I call for an inspection. I did not trust that the landlord was going to keep. Up the treatments,
On the apt. And I believed I got the bed bugs from my neighbor. No other apartments in the building was treated for
Bed Bugs. It was a matter of time before my apartment would welcome back those critters...😠..😬... So I moved out.
Without my belongings. I got a fresh start..😇.. This is true bed bugs can be everywhere but is up to you and your
Action's, you can not be afraid to fight it. I will never move in to an apartment that has rugs. Even if the rugs were new.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnova View Post
I'm sorry, but if you don't want bedbugs, you will have to move and live somewhere far away from NYC. ... I'd be hard pressed to find a building in NYC with absolutely NO history of bedbugs, especially since the population density is so high in the city.
This is unbelievably laughable and utterly false. There are less than 1000 bed bug violations reported every year in NYC out of about 800,000 BUILDINGS. New York is NOT overrun with bed bugs, they are the exception not the rule.

The only reason for the hysteria is that infestations went from almost zero to several hundred in the past decade but after aggressive action the violations have been cut in half and keep going down.

Doesn't help you if you win the parasite lottery though, which is why if you know there's bed bugs there STAY AWAY!!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 AM

457 posts, read 736,802 times
I don't even want to get bitten by a mosquito. My mind will just start to wonder and I'll start thinking of other things as the cause such as "bed bugs" and it's too traumatic.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is unbelievably laughable and utterly false. There are less than 1000 bed bug violations reported every year in NYC out of about 800,000 BUILDINGS. New York is NOT overrun with bed bugs, they are the exception not the rule.

The only reason for the hysteria is that infestations went from almost zero to several hundred in the past decade but after aggressive action the violations have been cut in half and keep going down.

Doesn't help you if you win the parasite lottery though, which is why if you know there's bed bugs there STAY AWAY!!
I agree with everything you are saying 100%.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
I don't even want to get bitten by a mosquito. My mind will just start to wonder and I'll start thinking of other things as the cause such as "bed bugs" and it's too traumatic.
This is the reason why people need to report bed bug infestation. Stop being afraid of foolish
land lords. Because it's the land lord's responsibility. You can not get an eviction notice, because
You have bed bugs. This is a violation and land lords know this...😕.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 AM

457 posts, read 736,802 times
It's sad but that office fumigation went on for months. And you know if a 1 bedroom is $700, you can only imagine an entire office floor for months on end. That must have amounted to thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City