Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:06 AM

653 posts, read 782,681 times

Advertisements

To the OP.... Here's what I think.....

If your brother is getting the "cold shoulder" from some of the Dominican residents in the area, it's not necessarily because they don't "like" him or "accept" him, but probably has more to do with an immigrant's shyness and simply not being comfortable with the language. I am Dominican. I was born in D.R. and was raised in Washington Heights from the age of 5. I can tell you that the way I relate and interact with white people and black people that do not speak spanish is very different from how my parents interact with them. The main reason why is the language barrier. Don't take mistake shyness for rudeness. I can tell you that Dominicans are friendly people and we are as warm and welcoming as anyone else. The younger generation of Dominicans in NYC will have no problem relating to your brother or even befriending him. The older generation may simply smile or say "hello" but their shyness about the language may prevent them from actually stopping him and chatting. The younger generation will not have that problem.

Now, are there rotten apples? Yeah!! But that's the case with every race and every community. Are Dominicans loud? Hell Yeah!! He'll have music playing at all times most likely, especially on the weekends. He'll have dudes playing dominoes and all night in some places. But that's during the summer only. Ain't nobody sitting outside in 40 or 50 degree weather!! Now come summertime, that's a different story.

I hope it all works out for your brother. But like I said, the older generation will be a bit more reserved simply because of the language barrier. The younger people will not have an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:19 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Many Latinos are mixed.

But not all Latinos are mixed.

There are plenty of white people in Latin America.
Europeans conquered Latin/South America, remember? (just like they did North America)
I just doubt a lot of those who describe themselves as "whites" really are white. Puerto Rico is supposedly about 76% white but if you go to Puerto Rico you will know this is a lie. It could also be that there are people in Latin America who are predominately white and pass as whites but have an African or Indigenous ancestor somewhere down the line. I remember hearing my college professor say nobody is truly of pure race though. So if this were true I guess there would no such thing as a full blooded white person, in Europe, the United States or Latin America.

Last edited by homenj; 07-23-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 06:55 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I just doubt a lot of those who describe themselves as "whites" really are white. Puerto Rico is supposedly about 76% white but if you go to Puerto Rico you will know this is a lie. It could also be that there are people in Latin America who are predominately white and pass as whites but have an African or Indigenous ancestor somewhere down the line. I remember hearing my college professor say nobody is truly of pure race though. So if this were true I guess there would no such thing as a full blooded white person, in Europe, the United States or Latin America.
There are as many white people in South America as there are in North America.

Europeans colonized both continents.

Yes, Europeans mixed with indigenous people and Africans in both continents.

I have been to Puerto Rico. Lots of white people. Plenty of blonde Puerto Ricans even. I saw plenty in San Juan.

I have lots of Brazilian friends. Most (not all) of them are white (some of German descent - blonde!, some Ashkenazi Jews, etc.). All Brazilian.

Most Argentinians are white/unmixed with indigenous or Africans.

Etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
A. Grow up. Nobody cares unless they are in grade school or have the mindset of an grade schooler. This is real life not Rocky.

B. If your brothers needs an place to live, then he needs an place to live. What people do not realize is that people ( the non-european people ) have been pushing for an peaceful way of life. The problem is when you have "Gingervitus" AKA Gingerfication occuring.

Basically when racist piece of European people move into the neighborhood verbally abuse the youth or anybody who looks like they have no money. It is like having walking targets. The same with European women who ignores and are verbally abusive in various ways, but the same could be said about all hoars/gold-diggers ( women who seek relationship via money ).

C. The point I am saying is that all of these ideas are in peoples imaginations. Your brother will be just fine as long as he does not harass anybody, or be ignorant to people he sees 24/7hrs a day.

Everybody wants to get along, just do not be that jerk that makes everybody life more difficult.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:09 AM

117 posts, read 137,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Silly comment, Dominicans haven't really been in NYC for that long
They started migrating to America in the late 60s. I think they have.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:

I have been to Puerto Rico. Lots of white people. Plenty of blonde Puerto Ricans even. I saw plenty in San Juan.

I have lots of Brazilian friends. Most (not all) of them are white (some of German descent - blonde!, some Ashkenazi Jews, etc.). All Brazilian.

Etc.
This is true. Southern cone South America is disproportionally white. Argentina for example is one of the most whitest country on earth. Southern Brazil has plenty of German and Italians. Chile is known for French population and produced presidents like Pinochet and Marie Bachalet. The Island of Puerto Rico, the Spanish government made European migrants settle there and most intermarried with the mulatto population of PR, and over a course of generations making the population near European.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
They started migrating to America in the late 60s. I think they have.
I'm sure it was a white neighborhood for much longer than it's been a Dominican neighborhood, historically speaking. All I'm saying is that this concept of "natives" based on ethnicity is kind of silly.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Etc.
Most Argentines actually have at least some Indigenous in them. Also I remember a Chilean saying that 80% of all Chileans have Indigenous in them.

Also it is said that nobody is of pure race. So if this is true, it is not that there are no full blooded white Latin Americans. It is that there are no full blooded whites (or any other race) at all.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:30 PM

213 posts, read 227,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Most Argentines actually have at least some Indigenous in them.
Not even remotely. Most Argentines are children or grandchildren of immigrants who came from Italy or Spain within the past century.

There has been very little mixing between the whites and indigenous communities in Argentina.

And this is completely off the topic of this thread.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Not even remotely. Most Argentines are children or grandchildren of immigrants who came from Italy or Spain within the past century.

There has been very little mixing between the whites and indigenous communities in Argentina.

And this is completely off the topic of this thread.
According to Discover Magazine, there are many Argentines who are the descendants of immigrants who came to Argentina within the past century. However only a few Argentines are full blooded descendants of these immigrants meaning many of the these descendants have mixed with the Argentines whose ancestors were in Argentina before 100 years ago. And these Argentines tend to be more mixed.

According to Clarin, a study done in Buenos Aires showed that 56% of Argentines have at least some Indigenous ancestry. The article is in Spanish though.

I don't know if I am able to post a link here but just google the number "56" and the words "clarin" and "indigena" and you will see the link.

It is easy to make the claim that Argentina is predominately composed of unmixed whites because they tend to look white. However phenotype is not the same as genotype. The fact that Argentina is actually more of a Mestizo country is something we should embrace not shun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City