Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Oh,
So that $1350 is only YOUR SHARE.
(I kinda thought it was too cheap for the whole 1000 sq. feet in SOHO.)

So than the rent is $1950 x 2 or $3900?

(Can you put the third friend in PART of the Living Room? I presume he would be paying $1200.<1350 + 1350 + 1200?>)

If you don't spend much time at home, roommates might be the most logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 02:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Yeah, I don't spend much time at home. Ultimately, it'd be me in the room with the two interior windows, my current roommate in the other room, and our other friend in the living room. The living room is much bigger than the other rooms and the kitchen is in a separate room all together of equal size on the other side of the place.

Also, $1350 is if a deal with the landlord holds true, which I don't really trust since there's been a few things like the doorbell which haven't been fixed since we moved in. Even then though, I rarely if ever have packages delivered to me much less have a need for it. It'd be $1450 for me and my current roommate if the deal falls through, which for that part of SoHo is still really good given the space and location to TriBeCa and the Hudson.

I think it's somewhat logical, though financially it'd make more sense to do a 3bd in Washington Heights, but that may be because I'm the only one who's really comfortable with uptown! I go everywhere from Coney Island to Jamaica to City Island to Jersey to hang out, so really I only care about the commute and cost. I think I'm getting a little wary from the aspect of having a roommate too though.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:48 AM

Good luck with your choice.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:42 AM

I think it's somewhat logical, though financially it'd make more sense to do a 3bd in Washington Heights.

A friend had a 3 BR in Washington Heights with a dumbwaiter, old oak hardwood floors and crown moulding all over. Hallways and closets galore, eat in kitchen, dining room. I LOVED the place....rent stabilized yet. It easily fit him and two roomies.

But then he moved for LOVE to Riverdale...and gave up the apartment. I'd have killed for the place but I didn't figure that I could get in on the rent stabilization. Those big old 1920's-ish aopartments can be WONDERFUL.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Yeah, I don't spend much time at home. Ultimately, it'd be me in the room with the two interior windows, my current roommate in the other room, and our other friend in the living room. The living room is much bigger than the other rooms and the kitchen is in a separate room all together of equal size on the other side of the place.
That doesn't sound like a real true 2 bedroom. Sounds like a converted 1 bedroom that you have 3 people in.
Your roommate has a room
You have a room with fake windows and I assume a pressured wall (The converted room)
Friend has the other room
So where is the 2nd true bedroom?

Also it its really only a true 1 bedroom its prob more about 700-800 sq ft vs 1000.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 AM

I would avoid the presumably smaller building that recently had bedbugs.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Just throwing this out there:

If you're still willing to do the roommate thing, then why not find something in Hell's Kitchen/Chelsea? Less crowded than Soho, less potential sketchy-ness than Chinatown/LES, and the commute would be a snap.

Also, this may be coming out of left field, but something tells me you'd like Jackson Heights.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
That's not a nice area of Inwood.

google street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...c39df6!6m1!1e1

and

drug busts in the area:

Nagle Ave Cocaine and Pill Dealing Gang Busted, Officials Say - Inwood - DNAinfo.com New York

Manhattan DA confirms bust of mostly Dominican drug ring - DominicanToday.com

Cops Seize $750K Worth of Heroin in Inwood Drug Bust - Inwood - DNAinfo.com New York

Go with the Bronx. I've frequented the vicinity of the Inwood spot and it's hardcore. Dudes drug dealing in your face all the time. gunshots at night, loud music, smell of weed etc

If you're willing to pass through 20 young men grilling you everyday as you make your way to your apartment then fine. But it's not for the week. Area has an entrenched drug culture. A lot of it resembles 90's gritty open air drug dealing NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: