Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme1995 View Post
Is the area I'm gonna be in relatively safe for college students?
walked around grand and there are a few bars with some movement on corner of grand/union so I figured it's fine. Short 10-15 min walk to downtown Williamsburg just not sure how it'd be at night
I already said it was fine! I live on the other end of Union. Union is pretty busy at all hours. Our cross street is sometimes completely dead but there are always people coming and going on union.

You can also take the bus to get to other parts of Williamsburg. I do that when I go up to greenpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 4,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Williamsburg has a downtown now? Who knew?

I meant like the busiest area or center of Williamsburg

Old 07-19-2015, 09:13 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme1995 View Post
Is the area I'm gonna be in relatively safe for college students?
walked around grand and there are a few bars with some movement on corner of grand/union so I figured it's fine. Short 10-15 min walk to downtown Williamsburg just not sure how it'd be at night

You should be fine. Williamsburg is on a phase 3 of gentrification, which is a mop-up phase. There is no such thing as downtown Williamsburg. Do you mean Broadway by the south side or along Bedford Ave on the north side.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
You should be fine. Williamsburg is on a phase 3 of gentrification, which is a mop-up phase. There is no such thing as downtown Williamsburg. Do you mean Broadway by the south side or along Bedford Ave on the north side.

The Bedford stop (along with lorimer) is usually what they consider as "downtown" or main Williamsburg, the closer to the water the "safer" and more expensive it is... The further east the more towards E.williamsburg and bushwick.
I meant along Bedford ave if anything

Old 07-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I already said it was fine! I live on the other end of Union. Union is pretty busy at all hours. Our cross street is sometimes completely dead but there are always people coming and going on union.

You can also take the bus to get to other parts of Williamsburg. I do that when I go up to greenpoint.
thanks for the help!

Old 07-19-2015, 11:52 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Williamsburg has a downtown now? Who knew?
When Williamsburg was an independent city from NYC, and Brooklyn before that, my guess is that the area between Broadway and Metro west of the BQE was likely considered downtown. I think that is where the Dutch West Indian Company setup shop to move goods to and from Bushwick and Jamaica, which ultimately branched out to Long Island.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:08 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
In my head, East Williamsburg starts at the Morgan Ave stop.
I'd consider Graham as the main strip in East Williamsburg. The Morgan ave area is more of a nowhere man's land stuck in between East Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Maspeth, Ridgewood and Bushwick. An industrial desert, especially on a day like today. Its part of and covered by the Williamsburg and Greenpoint community board and police precincts, but the Bushwick school district. Post office would be mostly the Wyckoff Heights PO, but also the Broadway Triangle PO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City