Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:33 PM
xqt xqt started this thread

76 posts, read 129,172 times

Advertisements

I will be going to Hunter college, and am looking to move out of Prospect Heights/Crown Heights to a more convenient location.

My budget is 2000$ a month.

Upper East Side? Long Island City? Where should I live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 01:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Since you're close to the 6 on 68st, the F on 63st, the 4-5,6,n,q,r on 59st, its easy to live anywhere that you can find within $2000 budget. Off the top of my head this week i know of 7 studios from 3ave to york ave btwn 60st and 89st that are $1750-$2200.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:52 PM

457 posts, read 736,963 times
Yeah, you can find a studio for 1800 to 1900 on the east side by the school on 1st or York Ave. It'll be a 5 floor walk up in a red brick building with no amenities but hence the reasonable price for Manhattan living. So check out 68th street near 1st Ave or York Ave.

I'm not a fan of the east side cause its so nouveau riche and there's so many avenues before you finally reach the 4, 5, or 6 train. Your other option it to live in an outer borough that leads you right into the F train, 4,5, or 6. You can try Elmhurst where the F train stops or Sunnyside by the 7 train like that allows you to transfer at Grand Central for the 4,5, and 6. Long Island City is unaffordable at your price range unless you find some amazing deal which is doubtful.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:53 PM
xqt xqt started this thread

76 posts, read 129,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
Yeah, you can find a studio for 1800 to 1900 on the east side by the school on 1st or York Ave. It'll be a 5 floor walk up in a red brick building with no amenities but hence the reasonable price for Manhattan living. So check out 68th street near 1st Ave or York Ave.

I'm not a fan of the east side cause its so nouveau riche and there's so many avenues before you finally reach the 4, 5, or 6 train. Your other option it to live in an outer borough that leads you right into the F train, 4,5, or 6. You can try Elmhurst where the F train stops or Sunnyside by the 7 train like that allows you to transfer at Grand Central for the 4,5, and 6. Long Island City is unaffordable at your price range unless you find some amazing deal which is doubtful.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the east side for that reason. What are Elmhurst and Sunnyside like?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:20 PM

457 posts, read 736,963 times
Those are nice areas in Queens with things to do when you leave your apartment. It's a good alternative and I believe Elmhurst is only 2 stops away from Manhattan because it's an express train in Queens.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:37 PM

515 posts, read 875,370 times
Are you going for your bachelor's or graduate?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
Yeah, you can find a studio for 1800 to 1900 on the east side by the school on 1st or York Ave. It'll be a 5 floor walk up in a red brick building with no amenities but hence the reasonable price for Manhattan living.
As always you just assume without knowing whats actually out there. 2 Elevator buildings, 2flr, ground floor, yes 5th floor of a walk up and a doorman building are what i was mentioning.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqt View Post
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the east side for that reason. What are Elmhurst and Sunnyside like?
I have a few friends in Elmhurst who seem relatively happy there, but it's only because they have good value apartments and are next to the subway. Other than that, there is nothing really to do there except for shop at Queens Center Mall and eat at hundreds of ethnic restaurants, or shop at Chinese produce and fish markets. It's a decent neighborhood if your budget is very limited and you're looking for decent value with fairly quick transportation to Manhattan. But if you're looking for anything to do that isn't associated with an immigrant group (Chinese, South and Central America, and maybe Bangladesh) then you should look elsewhere.

Sunnyside is much more mixed and has better bars and restaurants that would be appealing to all types of people. Also there is more green space and aesthetically appealing architecture. And a few good gyms if you're looking for that.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
If you come to Queens I'd pick either Sunnyside or Woodside - easy access to the trains and you'll have bars, cafes, restaurants, etc. within walking distance. The 7 will take you to Grand Central, 6 uptown. Or you could transfer at Queensboro Plaza to the N/Q and it'll take you to 59th and Lex. $2,000 can probably get you a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment depending on where it is.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqt View Post
I will be going to Hunter college, and am looking to move out of Prospect Heights/Crown Heights to a more convenient location.

My budget is 2000$ a month.

Upper East Side? Long Island City? Where should I live?
Hunter happens to be by a lot of expensive areas. If your really stressing convenience you could maybe do that budget with roommates. Is that your total budget or is that just rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City