Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:30 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Why raising the minimum wage in Seattle did little to help workers, according to a new study
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...gs-in-seattle/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 AM

575 posts, read 672,654 times
You can't help people who won't even try to help themselves.

My true colors will show but maybe something I heard Rush Limbaugh say about 20 years ago, still applies.

"Poor people choose to be poor." This does not necessarily apply to all poor people, but certainly to the overwhelming majority.

I felt then, as I do now, that the more handouts they get from the gov't ("We the people"), the less incentive they have to even attempt to lift themselves up. Sad. But true.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
"Poor people choose to be poor." This does not necessarily apply to all poor people, but certainly to the overwhelming majority.
Mostly by ignorance & lack of education though

Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well at least kicking them off the rolls shifts the burden from the general taxpayer to the specific consumer of that product. Still no justification to mandate $15/hr for flipping burgers. Not every job should be "livable wage". If you don't have the education to work a job that feeds your family of 8, then if you didn't have the intelligence to use condoms you need to dig your heels in and get a second or third job

I'm not saying the minimum wage should be artificially high, but if it were still say, 7.25, that would be almost worthless around here.

Also, I've worked a few different jobs now and fast food was by far the worst. While I'm not saying fast food workers need a minimum wage of $20 an hour, their jobs are terrible and I have sympathy for them.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The $15 wage is bad because it was had very little studies or planning before it was ok'ed. Mainly to buy votes while leaving a ton of problems afterwards.

Without doing a proper study, the boost in wage pushed some workers above the limit for benefits qualifications. Unless they change the rules, it will force many workers to cut hours or not receive benefits which is the actual intention. But without the benefits, $15/hr isn't enough to offset the loss in benefits.

Bad planning.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm not saying the minimum wage should be artificially high, but if it were still say, 7.25, that would be almost worthless around here.

Also, I've worked a few different jobs now and fast food was by far the worst. While I'm not saying fast food workers need a minimum wage of $20 an hour, their jobs are terrible and I have sympathy for them.
They're low skilled jobs for uneducated people or kids in high school, and they pay accordingly. If these people should earn $15-20 an hour, then every white collar job should pay at least $50 an hour. That would just lead to the cost of everything skyrocketing beyond belief.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:02 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
If notice many places have cut hours over the past few months. In fact walking around the other night along Second and First avenues it is amazing how so much is closed by 11PM, this where you once found things open until midnight or later.

Nearly every Starbucks one knows of on the UES is closed by 1030PM.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The $15 wage is bad because it was had very little studies or planning before it was ok'ed. Mainly to buy votes while leaving a ton of problems afterwards.
It could make sense to have it as high as $15 in NYC but to mandate the same in like Schenectady or Binghampton is pure foolishness. Cuomo is almost as big a moron as DeBlasio

Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times
The reason a lot of these college and university want $15 for flipping burgers and serving over price coffee they know their gender studies degree will be worthless in the real world!

Old 05-02-2017, 01:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They're low skilled jobs for uneducated people or kids in high school, and they pay accordingly. If these people should earn $15-20 an hour, then every white collar job should pay at least $50 an hour. That would just lead to the cost of everything skyrocketing beyond belief.
Repped! This must be my first time repping you!

Which is why businesses in the service sector solve that problem by hiring illegal immigrants. Because as you just pointed out, if you pay everyone a high wage, businesses have to raise prices to sustain that. I agree that they clearly jobs for uneducated people or just entry level jobs for young people. I worked in food service when I was an undergraduate. It was decent spending money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City