Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 PM

274 posts, read 298,015 times

Advertisements

Part if the problem is, these are NON SKILLED JOBSthat were traditionally held by high school kids and some college kids. Now, you have a guy who is trying to raise 3 kids off of his $8.75 Burger King Job. This is why most of us went to college or learned a trade.

How did this all happen? We use to have manufacturing plants in this country that could employ millions of Americans that didn't have advanced degrees. We have no replacement for those manufacturing positions, so now adults are stuck working in the service industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
If you're making 15 bucks an hour, you shouldn't need public assistance.... It's called budgeting.
For almost 5 years, during college, I made $1,200 a month after taxes,

My rent was $800 (utilities included)

cable was $85.

The other $315 got me through the month.

i bought $60 worth of food a week, bought $20 sneakers and and shirts at Burlington Coat Factors for sirt cheap.

How come I could do it and others cannot?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post

cable was $85.

i bought $60 worth of food a week, bought $20 sneakers and and shirts at Burlington Coat Factors for sirt cheap.

Because you didn't need the latest version of IPhone and a Bahamas cruise on Carnival every year.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 PM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
Quote:

cable was $85.

Because you didn't have to pay for health insurance, a phone, or a car, apparently.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
Because you didn't have to pay for health insurance, a phone, or a car, apparently.

forgot to add that my car had been paid off and I lived down the street from work. So i got gas maybe twice a month. phone was $40 a month. Boost mobile baby!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
forgot to add that my car had been paid off and I lived down the street from work. So i got gas maybe twice a month. phone was $40 a month. Boost mobile baby!
And what was your student loan payment each month ?

How did you pay for school expenses ? which I did not notice in your little "list."
You know, tuition, books, health insurance - required now - and so on.

And what WAS your tuition bill at the time, anyway ?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
And what was your student loan payment each month ?

How did you pay for school expenses ? which I did not notice in your little "list."
You know, tuition, books, health insurance - required now - and so on.

And what WAS your tuition bill at the time, anyway ?
didn't pay loans because I was still in college.

Books were included in my loans

Didn't have health insurance

School expenses were paid for by loan checks.

Why are you arguing with me?

My college expenses have nthing to do with my expenses anyway, since they were paid for by loans. But If I didn't go to college, Like many low income people don't, I wouldn't have those expenses or have the loan checks. So that's irrelevant.

It was not that difficult to live the way I did. I didn't go on vacations and I don't have a keeping up with the jonses mentality. Too many people today get WANTS confused with NEEDS.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 PM

186 posts, read 220,263 times
Quote:

cable was $85.

Well for one some people do not have that opportunity because they might be the sole bread earner in the household or they need to work a full time to help keep the lights on or pay the rent etc.
You compare their situation to yours and say well I did it because in your eyes you had it bad and I guess it hard to imagine someone having it even worse than you growing up.
You then try to justify your argument by generalizing everyone in the context that they all want iphones hence why they are in the position they are
Well sorry to burst your bubble however there are people out there did not have that option to go to school due to a variety of reasons and had to enter the work force with just a high school education.
Also when did you go to school ?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:27 PM

186 posts, read 220,263 times
The main reason to raise the minimum wage was to get people off food stamps etc and have them be able to afford the necessities without gov assistance.
So you linking a article that shows that what is happening is what everyone was asking for serves no purpose except to show that it's doing what it is supposed to do.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I don't think people understand the effect this will have on small businesses - especially in nyc when commercial rents are absolutely skyrocketing.

Let's use a cupcake shop, pizzeria, coffee shop, etc as an example. Let's say the business is open 12hrs / day, and needs six workers there at all times, all of which make minimum wage. That is almost $200k in additional labor expenses every year, solely due to the wage hike. How many small business owners do you know that can incur an additional $200k per yr just in labor costs - then factor in higher health care, rents, etc.

It makes absolutely zero sense for cities that support and encourage massive amounts of illegal immigration to also support higher minimum wage, especially $15/hr. The two positions are 100% contradictory. Allowing mass illegal immigration is done to articially hold down low wage labor wages. A huge reason why corrupt politicians like DiBlasio and Clinton support higher minimum wage is bc they are in the pockets of unions - and many unions wages are pegged to minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City