Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

There is not a chance in hell that LGA could be in the Bronx. For starters they would need to displace people and business or develop parkland in the Bronx. Both of which would have massive political economic opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Frankly I would be tempted to just tear it down and make it a new neighborhood and re-direct everything to JFK and EWR.
I doubt it is practical to redirect all those flights on a regular basis to JFK and EWR.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:42 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'm sure you're right about it remaining open, but when you look at the artist's rendering there will be significant parking impact while each stage is built. Plus the access around each terminal will probably be horrible during construction as the new buildings will be right against the GCP.
I think that's why they're building the new parking garage now, but it still won't be enough. Think about the construction workers and equipment.

On the bright side, a brandy new airport will be built in a greenfield outside of Istanbul, so if you fly in and out of there frequently, you shouldn't be impacted!

Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
LGA airport is very small. The airport should be expanded to allow more pedestrian traffic, as well as allowing more planes, but bigger planes to land at LGA. The runaways should be expanded into flushing bay about 500 to a thousand feet at least, and widen runways to allow larger aircrafts. A direct subway ride with the N train would be very convenient but Astoria residents shot that down. Maybe a new vote since Astoria is full of folks who are from the suburbs, liberal and educated might make changes for the neighborhood along with transportation input. Last the airport needs to be raised to protect it from flooding. During hurricane Sandy, LGA runaways were flooded.

In my honest opinion LGA should be torn down and retired. LGA should go the same way as Floyds Bennett Field. It would be best to locate LGA either in the Bronx across the river in one of those parks by the White Stone Bridge, or expand JFK airport. Big problem with airports is its location. Most airports are located away from cities and are tucked away. What is funny about LGA is that geographically its located almost in the middle of NYC, however it is still difficult to reach, and mainly accessible by car with limited public transport options. I live 10 minutes by car from LGA with good traffic, by bus M60 the ride is more than an hour long with good traffic. Queens needs plenty of housing especially for its growing population. LGA would be a great spot to build apartments for 100k future residents. The airport should be torn down, and moved across to the Bronx.

On the flipside, if the state wants to prove LGA, the following things need to be done.

Optional AirTran service which is coming.

Have an LIRR stop or reroute the LIRR so that it can stop at LGA making easy for commuters coming in from Manhattan and Long Island alike especially those riding from Penn Station.

Have the N train extended to LGA where the train terminates from.

Expand the runways by 500 to a 1000 feet into Flushing Bay and East River, plus widen runways to accommodate larger aircrafts.

Raise the airport or build stronger sea defenses to protect against super storms and hurricanes.

Build a third runway from Flushing Bay going towards the East River.

are you out of your mind?

we are already having noise pollution issues because of the amount of planes that are landing at LGA every day, every 30 seconds a plane lands at LGA, how many more do they want?????????????????????????????????????????? there is only but so much time in a day.

and you want bigger planes ??????????????????????????? Im assuming you love the sound of planes roaring over your house every 30 seconds for 20 hours a day.....

Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
God help you. They did this to Buffalo in the early 1990s. (It used to be very much like LaGuardia.) Took forever, Lots of cost and time overrruns. Lots of runway shutdowns. Granted, we rarely have any delays on departure or arrival here, but that was ghastly.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
I like the ferry idea.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I like the ferry idea.
Except that it will go to the Marine terminal where most people don't travel in/out of

Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 PM

164 posts, read 160,107 times
So opens to the public in 2019. It'll be back to being a rundown hovel in 2020.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Except that it will go to the Marine terminal where most people don't travel in/out of
They'll have a monorail to move people from ferry to other terminals, no? Hard to believe they'll build ferry access for only a certain few.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It would be best to locate LGA either in the Bronx across the river in one of those parks by the White Stone Bridge, or expand JFK airport. Big problem with airports is its location. Most airports are located away from cities and are tucked away. What is funny about LGA is that geographically its located almost in the middle of NYC, however it is still difficult to reach, and mainly accessible by car with limited public transport options. I live 10 minutes by car from LGA with good traffic, by bus M60 the ride is more than an hour long with good traffic. Queens needs plenty of housing especially for its growing population. LGA would be a great spot to build apartments for 100k future residents. The airport should be torn down, and moved across to the Bronx.

I told you this once already so im going to tell you again.......where in the bronx has enough space to realistically replace LGA? Why do you keep proposing these narrow arse parks on the east riverfront as a legitimate replacement? Your gripe about LGA is space but please tell me where in the bronx has MORE space than LGA? Cuz youre already dead arse wrong to propose ferry point park and soundview park as legitimate replacements........and i already told you youd have to nuke hunts point,van cortlandt is unrealistic and pelham bay me AND someone else told you thats not going to happen bc of fierce FIERCE opposition.....

heres a chart to help you out on area available....

LGA 550-acres

Ferry point Park approx. 414 acres

soundview park 205 acres

Van Cortlandt 1,146-acre

Pelham Bay 2,772 acres

So out of all these Van cortlandt IN THEORY and Pelham bay would be legit replacements: however Van cortlandt has a lake and multiple highways running through the middle of it. Pelham Bay? people nearby are not going to let that park be converted into a airport. Plus 6 train service would need massive improvement along with shuttles and bus lines that are reliable. And how praytell are people going to get to city island if a airport is built there....you think people incity island are going to lose that summer money from those who go there for the seafood? HECK NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City