Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Idiot? Im not the one who fails to display good ol fashioned common sense about a crowded airport and possible alternatives.

I never lived in queens and i honestly dont care for the airport. I almost always goto JFK if i use a NY airport. other than having to catch a cab or a bus to/from the 7 train to get there on public transit its alrite.

The MAIN difference btwn NY and chicago is chicago is built on flat and sprawling prarie. NYC is built on a odd funky shaped peninsula, 2 islands and the western end of a a really long island (no pun intended. lol) In short, chicago had more space to build. NY didnt. The Most you could do is build right outside queens in nassau county, and build it close to the LIE but GOOOD LUCK convincing ppl in those nassau county suburbs to vacate and submit to eminent domain. GOOOD LUCK!
LGA needs to be torn down. It serves no purpose anymore. It would be best to expand JFK airport, and tear down LGA and convert the area for residential use which is greatly needed in this city. LGA anyways causes plenty airline delays as well as it airport interfers with JFK and NWR airports. LGA had its hay day half a century ago and that era is gone. Airports are getting better, getting bigger and more sophiscated. Airports these days are like their own cities. Its very rare to have airports in heart of cities like LGA for example. The location of LGA is going to limit its success in the future. Again location determines destiny.

But its not about good old commen sense and possible alternatives. This is reality my friend. Also LGA is built on landfill and stilits. If you take that away the airport itself would actually be anywhere from 400-300 acres of land. LGA should either close, move elsewhere because most cities do not have airports located inside of them, or LGA should be expanded via dredging sand from the river bottom, or adding additional stilts that can support another runaway. As for getting to an airport? Getting to any airport in NYC is an headache. I have been on the LIE going to JFK and it was a nightmare, I almost missed my flight. I took the subway and A train was delayed on my way to JFK Howard Beach station. The train did not move for 25 minutes do to a sick passenger. Again I nearly missed my flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
LGA needs to be torn down. It serves no purpose anymore. It would be best to expand JFK airport, and tear down LGA and convert the area for residential use which is greatly needed in this city. LGA anyways causes plenty airline delays as well as it airport interfers with JFK and NWR airports. LGA had its hay day half a century ago and that era is gone. Airports are getting better, getting bigger and more sophiscated. Airports these days are like their own cities. Its very rare to have airports in heart of cities like LGA for example. The location of LGA is going to limit its success in the future. Again location determines destiny.

But its not about good old commen sense and possible alternatives. This is reality my friend. Also LGA is built on landfill and stilits. If you take that away the airport itself would actually be anywhere from 400-300 acres of land. LGA should either close, move elsewhere because most cities do not have airports located inside of them, or LGA should be expanded via dredging sand from the river bottom, or adding additional stilts that can support another runaway. As for getting to an airport? Getting to any airport in NYC is an headache. I have been on the LIE going to JFK and it was a nightmare, I almost missed my flight. I took the subway and A train was delayed on my way to JFK Howard Beach station. The train did not move for 25 minutes do to a sick passenger. Again I nearly missed my flight.
This is not reality and I will tell you why.

It would take a lot of money and political capital to build a new airport elsewhere. A fantastic amount. Money the state really cannot afford. Some people and businesses would refuse to leave. So they would have to take them to court and seize the properties via eminent domain. It might take 10 or more years to acquire all the space to begin construction.

But since they already own LGA, they can begin construction on a new terminal next year. The governor and Port Authority officials KNOW what they are DOING.

Re: the trains and accidents getting ANYWHERE on a bad day with the trains can be a headache, particularly when some disaster comes. Or you could get stuck in traffic due to a jam or accident.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is not reality and I will tell you why.

It would take a lot of money and political capital to build a new airport elsewhere. A fantastic amount. Money the state really cannot afford. Some people and businesses would refuse to leave. So they would have to take them to court and seize the properties via eminent domain. It might take 10 or more years to acquire all the space to begin construction.

But since they already own LGA, they can begin construction on a new terminal next year. The governor and Port Authority officials KNOW what they are DOING.

Re: the trains and accidents getting ANYWHERE on a bad day with the trains can be a headache, particularly when some disaster comes. Or you could get stuck in traffic due to a jam or accident.
In the next 20 or 30 years, the same problem that plague Lga now, will plague it in the future thanks to its small size. Seriously Lga is going to either have to expand or eventually move. Seriously Lga needs to expand to accommodate more air traffic, but again the state does not have no money for that. At least Lga should aquire create 200 acres of more land.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
is there going to be a train to the place.

I think the country needs to invest more in passenger rail than air. China is surpassing us in this aspect.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
is there going to be a train to the place.

I think the country needs to invest more in passenger rail than air. China is surpassing us in this aspect.
If I was de blasio. I would team up with Boston, DC, and Philly mayors to jump start a Northeast corridor high speed rail on on its own dedicated line.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:41 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
If you think renovating a airport is expensive, how much do you think accumulating the necessary right of way for a true high speed line would be through the densist part of the country.

Quote:
If I was de blasio. I would team up with Boston, DC, and Philly mayors to jump start a Northeast corridor high speed rail on on its own dedicated line.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:54 PM

68 posts, read 125,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Cuomo did the right thing keep LGA in Queens. An Airtrain is going to be built to the new airport and that will help with the development of Corona. As for the Bronx minimum wage and welfare New Yorkers have to live somewhere and it will likely always remain poor. I know the South Bronx is getting some businesses moving there because it is cheap, but please Harlem and Washington Heights are a long way from being gentrified.

The whites who move to these areas are students, recent graduates, gays, artists, and other somewhat marginalized whites.
An airport is not going to revitalize corona. And corona is not THAT bad... La guardia is a dump because the people make it a dump. Re doing it is not going to change that.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank7799 View Post
An airport is not going to revitalize corona. And corona is not THAT bad... La guardia is a dump because the people make it a dump. Re doing it is not going to change that.
I agree. To be honest, this remodeling of LGA is nothing more than a fixer upper. I hardly believe that LGA is going to fix an entire neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:52 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank7799 View Post
Actually East Elmhurst was a much nicer neighborhood before Laguardia was a thought. Just look at the properties that once were waterfront mansions that now overlook a parkway and an airport.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:

I also question the wisdom of this plan to build a whole new LGA when there are already two major international airports and several smaller ones in the region. But admittedly I don't have all the facts. Possibly tearing it down would be an unacceptable loss of capacity that would overload JFK and Newark. That being said, there would be immediate pluses to simply scrubbing it off the map and using the land for other purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City