Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 PM

6 posts, read 10,056 times

Advertisements

Hey there guys!

So I'm moving to NYC September 1st with my girlfriend. The two of us are living together and are looking for possible apartments. We've contacted a couple realtors and are fanatically browsing craigslist, and have even arranged a trip during the second week of August to visit the city and hopefully nail down an apartment.

Before we embark on this adventure, however, I wanted to get the advice some of the forum users here, since I've used City-Data before and the people have always been helpful and friendly.

In any event, we're looking for a 1+ bedroom place, 650+sq ft, with a max price of ~$2300/month. I need to be able to get to the financial district within 30 minutes for my job, so that's the distance limitation. This leaves us with a relatively small area to look, and I'm not sure if, given the limitations, my criteria is realistic. We've been looking mostly in Brooklyn (Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, and possibly Gowanus, Park Slope, and Prospect Heights, as well as South Williamsburg (near the JMZ/L lines). We know that essentially all of Manhattan is out of our price range, but we've been checking near Chinatown and the lower east side as well just in case.

So, what do you think? Does this sound possible? Too wide? Too narrow? Let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
If you are willing to extend your commute to 35-40 minutes, you can include Astoria, Queens in your apt. search.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:54 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Does it have to be NY? You could afford the nice sections of Jersey City, a short hop on PATH directly across the river from the financial district. Quieter, though. But great views of Manhattan.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 AM

6 posts, read 10,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If you are willing to extend your commute to 35-40 minutes, you can include Astoria, Queens in your apt. search.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Does it have to be NY? You could afford the nice sections of Jersey City, a short hop on PATH directly across the river from the financial district. Quieter, though. But great views of Manhattan.
It doesn't have to be, but my girlfriend may be attending Columbia next year, and that makes the distance a bit further. We also prefer the NY atmosphere.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Does your girlfriend plan to commute to Columbia daily? It's at least 1.5 hours to Columbia from all the neighborhoods you listed. I know someone who works at Columbia and the daily commute from Brooklyn has really worn her down.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I second the notion of the Columbia commute being a problem from parts of Brooklyn. Someone I know works at Columbia and moved to Riverdale because the commute could be two-hours on a bad day, missing transfers, delays, etc. Plus, it's easier for her to keep her car in Riverdale. Astoria would not have a bad Columbia commute, and it's not that much further to the Financial District, where you would each have about a 40-45 minute commute. Are you required to be thirty minutes from the office, or is that a preference?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
I would not consider Brooklyn if Columbia is a possibility.
I know people who were literally worn down by that commute as well.

You can probably find something good in your price range near the express trains at 125th.
The A is around 30 minutes to Fulton Street, barring delays.
I would stay west of St. N. Park.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most out of towner thinks moving to NYC means living in Manhattan. There comfort level from other state is that commute to work should be less than 15-20mins.

Little do they know what that means in terms of costs in NYC area and the big change in quality of life.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach1282 View Post
Thanks for the tip!

It doesn't have to be, but my girlfriend may be attending Columbia next year, and that makes the distance a bit further. We also prefer the NY atmosphere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Does your girlfriend plan to commute to Columbia daily? It's at least 1.5 hours to Columbia from all the neighborhoods you listed. I know someone who works at Columbia and the daily commute from Brooklyn has really worn her down.
Um, no, if you lived in one of the high-rises in Fort Lee, NJ, Columbia would be less than 20 minutes away, MUCH closer than Brooklyn. Fort Lee would be more than 30 minutes to downtown, though, I think.

Study a map of the area so you get a feel for the geography and where the crossings over/under the water are. I'm not saying New Jersey if you really want NYC, but you do have to understand the layout of the islands on which the city sits and the fact that north Jersey sits EAST of Manhattan and therefore many places are more accessible from there.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most out of towner thinks moving to NYC means living in Manhattan. There comfort level from other state is that commute to work should be less than 15-20mins.

Little do they know what that means in terms of costs in NYC area and the big change in quality of life.
Someone said Astoria, which might be a good trade-off for access to both downtown and Columbia. But geez, some parts of the NJ waterfront are a lot more city-like than most of Queens. And you get the gorgeous view of Manhattan's skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City