Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:30 PM

68 posts, read 125,954 times

Advertisements

Is this even a question?

Time Warner service sucks big fat gorilla nuts.

Fios is where it s at!

When hurricane sandy hit. Everything was down, but i had a fios wi fi signal plus my phone worked. The whole time i did not have power which was 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueheartofgold View Post

I asked if I can connect the Ethernet cable from the Verizon router to my Belkin router to see if I get a higher WiFi speed and he said "I can try." Is this possible? If so, would I plug the cable into the "Modem (Yellow)" port on the back of the router or one of the "Wired (White)" ports?
You will use one of the 4 yellow Ethernet ports on the router.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 AM

130 posts, read 532,644 times
Quick follow up here. I've had TWC triple play for a year now. No real downtime on my end in Queens during this time. Everything works great. I paid around $120 for all the cable channels plus HBO and EPIX plus 100mbps internet and phone. A few months ago TWC threw in Showtime and TMC for free for a year. So I have HBO, Showtime, TMC and Epix and all regular cable stations and 100 mbps internet and phone (control over the phone online is excellent) for a little over $120. Actual yield on the download wired for internet is about 75-80mbps down and 10mbps up.

So my promo expired and my price went to $150+. So I called and got it down to little over $130. They also upgraded me to 200mbp internet for free which is beyond my fast ethernet card but it still did boost my download and upload quite a bit 90+ down and 20+ up.. Wifi yield over 50mps down and 20bmps up. Overall, I think I got a pretty good deal and the service is excellent.

My latest internet numbers with 3 computers running:

Old 02-29-2016, 09:41 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Just switched to FiOS after 13 years with TWC and it's noticeably faster.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:16 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
Quick follow up here. I've had TWC triple play for a year now. No real downtime on my end in Queens during this time. Everything works great. I paid around $120 for all the cable channels plus HBO and EPIX plus 100mbps internet and phone. A few months ago TWC threw in Showtime and TMC for free for a year. So I have HBO, Showtime, TMC and Epix and all regular cable stations and 100 mbps internet and phone (control over the phone online is excellent) for a little over $120. Actual yield on the download wired for internet is about 75-80mbps down and 10mbps up.

So my promo expired and my price went to $150+. So I called and got it down to little over $130. They also upgraded me to 200mbp internet for free which is beyond my fast ethernet card but it still did boost my download and upload quite a bit 90+ down and 20+ up.. Wifi yield over 50mps down and 20bmps up. Overall, I think I got a pretty good deal and the service is excellent.

My latest internet numbers with 3 computers running:
This is my Fios, 75/75 triple play and I have every premium channel, living room box has DVR, pay $200 on the dot:

1 desktop (ethernet), 1 laptop, 1 Kindle, 2 Apple TVs, 3 cell phones (wifi) all use the connection with no issues.

Why is TWC's upload speed so slow? I hope Time Warner fixed their faulty box problem - I think I had to replace every one in my house within the 5 years I had their service. Fios - not one issue in 2 years.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 PM

Every tech has told me that upload speed is relatively unimportant. 10mbps upload is really more than you need and only comes into play for example when sending an attachment in email or uploading files. The vast majority of what you are doing online in terms of sheer data is downloading. Very high upload speeds are silly.

You can see this in play if you were to have for whatever reason a low download speed and a high upload speed or even an extremely high upload speed. Your internet will crawl. Not so the other way around. The other way it will be very fast.

I'm shocked you pay that much for what you are getting. I pay $70 less and am getting a fair amount of premium channels but much faster 200mbps internet. What's your wifi like? I've read of people reporting awful verizon wifi speeds. My ipad gets 144 mbps download with 30+ upload. What's yours like?

What's the customer service and website functioning like? Can you schedule appointments for them to come on a particular day and particular hour if you should need a tech or service? Can you chat with support through the website? Do you have complete control of the phone online?

Does verizon have an app comparable to TWC TV that you can put on any device giving you total cable on any TV or device in the house without need for wiring?

Last edited by campers; 02-29-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
My understanding is upload speed is relatively unimportant. 10mbps upload is more than you need and really only comes into play for example when sending an attachment in email. The vast majority of what you are doing online is downloading. Download speed is what is important. Very high upload speeds are silly.

I'm shocked you pay that much for what you are getting. I pay $70 less and am getting a fair amount of premium channels but with faster download speed internet. What's your wifi like? I've read of people reporting awful verizon wifi speeds. My 5g wifi on an ipad yields 144 mbps download. What's yours like? Verizon seems terribly expensive.

What's the customer service and website functioning like? Can you schedule appointments for them to come on a particular day and particular hour if you should need a tech or service? Can you chat with support through the website? Do you have complete control of the phone online?

Does verizon have an app comparable to TWC TV that you can put on any roku or other devices giving you total cable on any TV or device in the house without need for wiring?
Yeah but you say they're supposed to give you 200 down...why are you getting less than half? My speeds are always consistent, and at least equal to, or better than what I'm supposed to get. It's always 75 down or better, never less than. It's pretty cool that you "get" 200 down, but at 75 down I can watch an entire streaming HD movie with no buffering.

FYI I get 40 down on my iPhone in the house but aside from Youtube and social media, that's way more than what I would need - I'm mostly on my desktop at home. I'll try and do a test on the kids' Chromebook and see what results I get.

To be honest, I haven't needed a tech to even come out to the house since I got it. So I don't even know how their customer service is, aside from asking them a few random questions through their website's live chat feature.

Fios has an app that allows me to watch live TV on my iPhone using my WiFi. Admittedly, I don't use it often; I just don't have that much of a need for it. How many set top boxes do you have in your house? I have 3 HD set tops, with one of them being DVR.

In conclusion, I think TWC sucks. That's why I switched. Constant outages resulting in having to reboot the box consistently combined with the boxes not working altogether and having to trade them in numerous times resulted in a major inconvenience for me, and everytime I had to call TWC I always got somebody with a heavy accent which made understanding what they said difficult. So I switched and I'm much happier. If your experience with TWC is positive then that's cool.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM

The reason I get less is because the network cards in my main wired laptops are fast ethernet so they have a 100 mbps limitation. Basically my laptops are not capable of handling 100mps+. I imagine on a device with a faster card (1000mbps) I'd get around 170mbps wired. I base that on the fact that I got 80-85mbps on 100mps plan so double it and that's what you'd have. On an ipad wifi (5G) now I get 144mbps down. I only have one hd set top box. I use a usb roku with the twc app to watch TWC cable (and the HBO app, netflix amazon prime etc) for a tv in bed room.. the roku connects to the wifi 5g.

To be fair, I did restart the box maybe 3 times over the year but it was not a big deal at all (and prob not even necessary once or twice).

My experience with TWC has overall been very good. I feel like I'm getting a heck of a lot for not much money. I also feel TWC have been very fair in negotiating a lower price and with other things. Picture quality is great, internet is very fast with everything on, and I love the control I have over the landline phone. I never receive telemarketing calls or any weird calls like I used to pretty frequently with Verizon (non Fios landline) since I can rapidly and permanently block any number with a few clicks on the TWC website. I also like when i get a call it shows me on the tv who is calling.

Last edited by campers; 02-29-2016 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: