Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 12:15 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times

Advertisements

I've always had the theory that you could be functionally homeless in this city with a good gym membership. Seems I'm not the only person who thought of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Certainly possible. There are actually many people who are "invisible homeless" who blend in. They may couch surf or just do what he did. They go to work, socialize just like anyone. 6 years doing this requires some endurance that's for sure.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I find this story fascinating. He never made enough money to rent an apartment, but kept himself clean and well dressed. As long as you maintain a certain appearance, then people make all kinds of assumptions about you.

I know that there are a lot of people that covertly sleep in their cars at night, but its quite another matter to sleep under a tarp in all weather. Though I suspect he didn't spend as many nights up there as he claims--I can't imagine sleeping outside in freezing temperatures without specialized equipment.

I’m a model
I don't believe this story. I think it's been packaged to sell. He might have spent a few nights sleeping on a roof at one point but the rest of the tale is BS.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't believe this story. I think it's been packaged to sell. He might have spent a few nights sleeping on a roof at one point but the rest of the tale is BS.
More one thinks about this am not wholly buying the story either.

NYC had some really cold winters the past five years, this guy could not have been sleeping on that roof for nights at a time with temps below freezing. What about when it rained and or snowed for days on end?

Also for six years no one from the building for maintenance or other reasons went onto that roof? Also for that period this guy was able to get into and out of that building at least twice a day without anyone not only noticing but hearing sounds on the roof? No one from other buildings noticed night after night this guy was up on the roof?

Black top roofs get hot as heck during the summer. Not exactly the most comfortable surface to sleep upon.

No, this story has a whiff about it. He may have spent the occasional night up there or perhaps a few days at time, but there is no way in hell he slept up there seven nights a week for years at a time.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I lean towards that assessment as well.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
More one thinks about this am not wholly buying the story either.

NYC had some really cold winters the past five years, this guy could not have been sleeping on that roof for nights at a time with temps below freezing. What about when it rained and or snowed for days on end?

Also for six years no one from the building for maintenance or other reasons went onto that roof? Also for that period this guy was able to get into and out of that building at least twice a day without anyone not only noticing but hearing sounds on the roof? No one from other buildings noticed night after night this guy was up on the roof?

Black top roofs get hot as heck during the summer. Not exactly the most comfortable surface to sleep upon.

No, this story has a whiff about it. He may have spent the occasional night up there or perhaps a few days at time, but there is no way in hell he slept up there seven nights a week for years at a time.
Perhaps. The article did mention that at certain times he was able to stay at friends homes during lightning storms and other bad weather. As for as the roof getting hot in the summer he claims he only went up there at night to sleep, when it was presumably cooler.

I do agree that during the very cold spells, he couldn't have spent the night up there without some specialized equipment that extreme campers use--and it doesn't sound like he had that.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:42 AM

321 posts, read 420,269 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's just no way. Cool story, but anything other than that is just fantasy.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I am picturing him up there in the Christmas snowstorm of December 2010 when even Humvees were stuck in the deep snow.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:37 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
I've at times contemplated living in a lean to constructed in the woods in Van Cortlandt Park or Pelham Bay Park. I know them very well. Lots of tucked away places where I'd never be nailed.

If the powers that be decide I'm "disabled" (there are some issues with my heart, but I don't feel disabled; I won't fake anything. I'm seeing a cardiologist in a few days) I may still do this. I could live like a prince on the SSI money, if I had no rent to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: