Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 PM

11 posts, read 9,200 times

Advertisements

I know there are tons of forums with people asking about moving to NYC with a car but I wanted to explain my situation a bit more so I can get the best/most realistic answer. I am a young working professional female who lives in North Carolina but is looking to relocate to the NYC area. I will be making 80K and working in downtown. I also really want to bring my car being that I just purchased it and will be paying on it for a while.

Basically, I am looking for a place where the commute is no longer than 40 mins door-to-door, where I can also bring my car and not worry about parking being insanely difficult/expensive, where it is safe, diverse and has some type of nightlife/things to do for younger professionals (nightlife is not a top priority, being that I am coming from the south I don't mind a quiet/suburban area but it would be nice if some type of bars/nightlife to be around)

I do want to be in either Manhattan, Queens, or Brooklyn, possibly the Bronx, or Jersey City/Hoboken. Last but not least, I do not want pay more than $2000 a month in rent and utilities combined for a one bedroom. Suggestions please?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:59 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAZZD View Post
I know there are tons of forums with people asking about moving to NYC with a car but I wanted to explain my situation a bit more so I can get the best/most realistic answer. I am a young working professional female who lives in North Carolina but is looking to relocate to the NYC area. I will be making 80K and working in downtown. I also really want to bring my car being that I just purchased it and will be paying on it for a while.

Basically, I am looking for a place where the commute is no longer than 40 mins door-to-door, where I can also bring my car and not worry about parking being insanely difficult/expensive, where it is safe, diverse and has some type of nightlife/things to do for younger professionals (nightlife is not a top priority, being that I am coming from the south I don't mind a quiet/suburban area but it would be nice if some type of bars/nightlife to be around)

I do want to be in either Manhattan, Queens, or Brooklyn, possibly the Bronx, or Jersey City/Hoboken. Last but not least, I do not want pay more than $2000 a month in rent and utilities combined for a one bedroom. Suggestions please?!

You want an awful lot don't you?

Suggest you read some of the posts in archives and realize some of your "wants" are going to need rethinking.

Eighty grand per year works out to taking home something in the fifty grand range after taxes. Much will depend upon any other payroll deductions besides taxes (NYC and NYS are very high) such as healthcare, dental, 401K, etc...

From that final number say about 54K (80K minus 33% taxes) you have to pay rent and everything else.

There are areas even in Manhattan where you can find an apartment for $1700 to $200K per month but the 40x income to rent rule most landlords apply means it may be tight in your situation.

Street parking is becoming an ever increasingly hard to find in Manhattan. There are all sorts of rules and regulations ranging from paid meters, commercial parking only time limits, street cleaning rules and so forth that make keeping a vehicle in many parts of NYC but especially Manhattan a nightmare. If you think you will be able to park right in front of your building or close to it every night, think again. There may be times you'll be lucky to find a spot within a one or two block walking distance.

You'd be better deciding upon what you must have versus what you want (there is a difference) and go with the former. That is if you find an apartment suited to your budget but parking will be a problem you have some decisions to make.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:

By utilities do you just mean electricity and gas?

Let's say you're looking for a place between $1850 and $1900 per month, with the other $100 to $150 going towards cooking gas and electricity. There are areas in Queens where you can get a nice one bedroom for $1850 but the commute to "downtown" (wherever that may be exactly) will likely be more around 45 minutes to an hour. These areas also will not have good easy parking, if they are near the train. So factor in another $200 to $250 per month for a garage.

I'm not sure if that helps. Like Bugsy above, I believe you are going to have to compromise on something. If you compromise on the number of minutes for your anticipated commute and bring it up to an hour, you might have more options. The problem with street parking is that it's difficult in areas with good subway access, and you will need good subway access in order to have a decent commute time.

Check craigslist parking and storage section to see what it would cost you to rent a garage space in different neighborhoods.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:16 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:

As already mentioned parking in the street is a difficult proposition in most good neighborhoods in NYC. For up to $2000 a month one can get a one bedroom apt. in a decent neighborhood without including utilities. If one is including one's utilities in the budget, $2000 is a tight squeeze on the budget but probably much more doable if one is willing to consider a studio apt. than $2000 a month would probably cover rent and utilities. But this budget would definitely not cover a monthly rental of a parking space which would eliminate the hassle of moving one's car twice a week for street cleaning and just the lack of parking spaces in general. Having said all that I would suggest checking out in Queens - Sunnyside, Woodside and Astoria. If you are willing to extend your commute to up to an hour you can also look at Rego Park and Forest Hills (both in Queens).

Old 07-31-2015, 06:12 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
Oh don't listen to these negativos.

If I were you with a car I would look into Astoria, Sunnyside in Queens, Greenpoint, Windsor Terrace in Brooklyn, maybe down to Midwood, although that's getting far.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 AM

782 posts, read 858,994 times
Plenty of large 1 bedrooms in Brooklyn/Queens for around $1500-1600 that fit your criteria for parking and 40 min commute, you may have to sacrifice having lots of nightlife for that though. There are areas that have cheaper rents and lots of good restaurants and bars (Astoria, Bay Ridge etc) but they well populated and very busy areas and parking will not be easy at all.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Your budget is unrealistic. Is it flexible?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The only problem is that with a newer car, you will want to garage it. The streets are very hard on a car, and it will cause it to be scratched and dinged in short order. It depends upon the neighborhood as to easily accessible parking, with Brooklyn being very difficult, owing to large numbers of brownstones in many neighborhoods that were built without parking. Queens can be easier, but older areas like Forest Hills can have parking shortages in the immediate vicinity of some of the apartments, again built without parking, but newer buildings should not pose a problem. Astoria can be a good option too, but across the river in NJ, you can have just as much difficulty in Jersey City/Hoboken. If you want garage parking in or close to the building, and costs under $2k, you will likely need to expand your preferred commute radius.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The only problem is that with a newer car, you will want to garage it. The streets are very hard on a car, and it will cause it to be scratched and dinged in short order. It depends upon the neighborhood as to easily accessible parking, with Brooklyn being very difficult, owing to large numbers of brownstones in many neighborhoods that were built without parking. Queens can be easier, but older areas like Forest Hills can have parking shortages in the immediate vicinity of some of the apartments, again built without parking, but newer buildings should not pose a problem. Astoria can be a good option too, but across the river in NJ, you can have just as much difficulty in Jersey City/Hoboken. If you want garage parking in or close to the building, and costs under $2k, you will likely need to expand your preferred commute radius.
In Queens, Forest Hills and Rego Park have always had street parking shortages plus one needs to move one's car twice a week for street cleaning. But these are areas where OP might be able to find an apt. within their budget.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Oh don't listen to these negativos.

If I were you with a car I would look into Astoria, Sunnyside in Queens, Greenpoint, Windsor Terrace in Brooklyn, maybe down to Midwood, although that's getting far.
How are they negatives? The OP wants things that are seemingly opposed to one another. A short commute to her job would necessitate a higher rent and less parking space for her car. A longer commute might afford her a cheaper rent and parking space but little nightlife. As someone said, she needs to prioritize what is really important to her and make decisions based on those choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City