Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 9,661 times

Advertisements

We're looking for some movers for our apartment. We currently have a one bedroom with a home office (used as a nursery) and are moving to a new apartment. We would pack everything ourselves and we're moving less than a mile away.

Anyone have any good movers they can suggest and an idea of how much we should be expecting to pay?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 AM

515 posts, read 875,370 times
Since it's the last day of the month (and your last day in the old apartment I assume) looks like you are unprepared as you are looking for movers at the last possible moment. I'm sure it is almost impossible finding movers this late in the game just as it is impossible to find a rental truck from uhaul, budget etc. Good luck moving your own stuff.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 AM

624 posts, read 982,577 times
Don't use Excellent Movers from Bay Ridge, those guys gave us bed bugs the last time we used them.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Years ago, I used Flatrate (which allows the customer to pack themselves if they wish) and they were very good. They gave me a fixed estimate before they came which they honored completely. The only more that one needed to do was to give tips to the movers themselves.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 9,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Since it's the last day of the month (and your last day in the old apartment I assume) looks like you are unprepared as you are looking for movers at the last possible moment. I'm sure it is almost impossible finding movers this late in the game just as it is impossible to find a rental truck from uhaul, budget etc. Good luck moving your own stuff.
Whoever said anything about moving today? Common sense would dictate that unless someone said they were looking for movers for THAT DAY, they're probably looking to move at a future date.

For anyone that has any actual useful information, my move will be for the end of August. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:53 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Be wary of bait and switch pricing if you're looking on craigslist. Double check with the actual movers you're paying the same as agreed to on the phone with the boss.

Look for movers not far from where you are so they don't charge too much for their travelling expense to you.

Flat rate movers as someone suggested is very expensive .

Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Before you sign on the dotted line, make sure your company is not on the movingscam list Moving Companies Superlist - MovingScam.com

I had a very bad situation with a moving company once, and it my seem like you shouldn't have to check the list...but hey, it's only a few minutes of your time.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
I've used Gentleman with a Van several times now (I like to move....lol). Reasonable prices, especially if you are doing all of your own packing/unpacking. Paul, who runs the operation, has always been very pleasant to deal with. I've had different crews each time, and they were all great - no dragging it out to increase the cost (it's by the hour). Highly recommend. I'll be using them again for my next move in a few months.

Gentleman With A Van NYC

Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 PM

201 posts, read 389,027 times
I've moved four times in the last 10 years and used The Super Movers all of those times. Some of the teams are better than others, but they've all been really careful with my stuff and nothing has ever been broken. When I moved this past winter, the head guy showed up at my door, took a look at my furniture, and said - we moved you here last time, didn't we? Turned out he was brand new on the job for that previous move and in the following four years he had moved up to the lead. I think they were in the $120-130/hr range for three guys, with a min of maybe three hours and a charge for their travel time. I'm not sure if their travel time is always charged - they're based in Red Hook and I was moving from downtown to upper Manhattan, so they had a long drive back to Brooklyn after finishing up moving me in here.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 9,203 times
I've moved a fair number of times in my day, and I will never want to go with anyone but Moore Moving Services. Look them up on Google, Yelp, etc. They're family run but I literally have nothing bad to say about them, price included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: