Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:32 PM

17 posts, read 13,660 times

Advertisements

I've been given the task by the company I work for to find a suitable studio or 1BR apartment in Manhattan for $3400 or less per month, for the needs of the company - my colleagues and company guests are sent to NYC for business all the time and a permanent place to stay is needed, a hotel won't cut it anymore.

What is needed:

1) Studio or 1BR - A smaller apartment in a nicer building would be better than a bigger apartment in a worse building.

2) A decent building (very important) - I've already seen a few buildings, and many of them were in terrible shape, had rats and bugs. The building and apartment have to be decent, and by decent I don't mean luxurious or anything like that, I mean the building to be well maintained, and the apartment to have no serious issues.

I managed to find a few listings in modern buildings which were less than 20 years old, and even had a lot of amenities such as a gym, doorman etc... Some even had a pool and a basketball court inside, and the studios inside were within the $3,4k budget.

The management has pointed out that the building needs to be at least decent, and the nicer it is the better.
They basically wants to wow future guests with the curb appeal of a nice building, I know it's a bit tacky but that's what they requested.

3)Location - We're willing to sacrifice location for having a nicer building, but we wouldn't want the area we're in to be dead. Anything above tribeca and below 60th avenue is acceptable. We want the area to be active and vibrant, rather than have a more residential feel like some areas of Manhattan.

Must not be near any section 8 or similar type of housing.

Research so far:

Some areas of Manhattan are extremely expensive, and the type of studio and building you're in varies a lot depending on the part of Manhattan you're situated in. I found that Soho was extremely expensive, and you would get a studio in a 100+ year building with no elevator for the same price that you'd get a studio in a luxurious building in other areas of Manhattan such as Chelsea and areas of Midtown. These luxury buildings were mostly "no-fee" listings, meaning they had their in-house agents doing the selling/renting, and this brought the price significantly making them on-par price-wise with the crappier buildings. I'm talking about high-rise modern buildings with boat loads of amenities.

I've been researching for a couple of weeks and I'm really overwhelmed with all the options, I've read tons of horror stories regarding apartment hunting in NYC, so I hope I won't screw up.

Any kind of suggestions or advice to find an apartment based on the requirements I specified would be extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 02:35 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Why isn't your company working with a broker or real estate agent who specializes in finding corporate apartments?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why isn't your company working with a broker or real estate agent who specializes in finding corporate apartments?
I've been assigned to take care of this. I can use any real estate agent I want, it's up to me. However I feel as if I'll get a better bang for the buck if I do things myself by going for the no-fee listings in luxury buildings. The real-estate agent fee/commission basically puts most of the apartments in similar buildings above our budget. I want to get the best deal possible.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:30 PM

457 posts, read 736,963 times
You can find a studio on 86th and 1st Ave or York Ave for $1,800.00 a month. There won't be an elevator, no doorman, no laundry room, and no gym, but it's reasonable for Manhattan. That area is mostly Caucasian if that's a concern of yours.

Plus, you have almost 50% left over of the budget your firm offered you. Isn't that great?

Last edited by NYCLotteryGurl; 07-31-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
You can find a studio on 86th and 1st Ave or York Ave for $1,800.00 a month. There won't be an elevator, no doorman, no laundry room, and no gym, but it's reasonable for Manhattan.
That's a solid deal, but that's not the goal here. The goal is to finding a studio or 1br within $3.4k in a nice building with at least some amenities (doorman, gym etc..)

Old 07-31-2015, 03:40 PM

If you want then it will most likely be 2K and up. Have you considered the outer boroughs? There are places 1 stop away from Manhattan that offer luxury studios with tons of amenities for 2K and up. It'll be like living in a hotel.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If you want then it will most likely be 2K and up. Have you considered the outer boroughs? There are places 1 stop away from Manhattan that offer luxury studios with tons of amenities for 2K and up. It'll be like living in a hotel.
Thanks for the suggestion.

My boss basically said a $3.4k monthly budget for a studio/1br which has to be a nice building with amenities in Manhattan. My goal is to get the most of out the budget - the nicest building with the best amenities, rather than getting something cheaper in an older building.

I understand that this is a bit different than the other threads here which are people looking to get an apartment which is as affordable as possible. The company is paying for this, these are not my personal funds, and this is what they want regardless of better alternatives in other neighborhoods, or more reasonable options. I'm simply an employee trying to do what I was told in the best manner possible.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:59 PM

So....are you interested in being 1 stop from Manhattan or does it have to be Manhattan? I'm not if studios in Manhattan with luxury amenities are under 3,400.00 a month.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
So....are you interested in being 1 stop from Manhattan or does it have to be Manhattan? I'm not if studios in Manhattan with luxury amenities are under 3,400.00 a month.
It has to be in Manhattan, I've actually found over 15 different buildings that match the criteria and have at least 1 available apartment within $3400.

Now, I'm not talking about those ultra-luxurious buildings with $5k+ studios, I'm talking about fairly new buildings or well-maintained buildings which have at least a doorman, gym and usually some other amenities.

Here's one example - The Biltmore:
www.thebiltmoreny.com

There's a $3,4k studio available here. This building is very modern and it is a fairly new building. It has boatloads of amenities: doorman, big fitness center, huge rooftop, gaming room, screening room/mini cinema, lounge, valet services. So this one matches the criteria I' m looking for.

It doesn't have to have so many amenities, but it should have at least a few.

I'm looking for apartments in similar buildings, within the price range

Old 07-31-2015, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 9,203 times
I would have to recommend any of the buildings coming up in the Chelsea area, or those getting into Hells Kitchen/Midtown West. That come to mind;

505W37 (managed by TF Cornerstone);
https://tfc.com/residential/505w37

455W37 (managed by TF Cornerstone);
https://tfc.com/residential/455w37

Avalon Chelsea (managed by Avalon);
West Chelsea Apartments in New York, NY | Avalon West Chelsea

Gotham West Apartments (now has a pretty hip food market and is famous for being the home to Project Runway contestants);
No-fee Apartment Rentals NYC | Gotham West No-fee Rental Availability : Gotham

Despite the lure of living somewhere like Soho, I think you'll find that it's not vibrant and active for nightlife and the "right outside your door" feel like many other areas. Soho is wonderful for the hustle and bustle of shopping, but if you spend enough time there, you'll find there are limited bars/restaurants in comparison to the West Village, Meatpacking District, Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, or other areas (like Kips Bay) on the East Side. The Upper East/Upper West Sides, I think, are ideal candidates for what you're after (you can find nice high-rises in that price range with great amenities and no fee), but you mentioned nothing above 60th Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City