Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:53 AM

39 posts, read 56,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So, have you looked into salaries for people with masters in social work? My understanding is that it is a very low-paying field.

In the other thread you mentioned your other child was 18 and it was a year ago so I added one year to bring it up to 19. So I guess when you said 18, it was a typo.
It depends what area of social work you choose to work in. There's social for geriatrics, department of education, mental health, substance abuse, hospitals, for profit or non profit, the list goes on. My co-worker's daughter is a social worker making a little over $60k a year. You can make $80k working for dept of education. If you take the grant writing course during social work school, that's even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:59 AM

39 posts, read 56,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Maybe the space itself is not the issue also I would guess if you move to a bigger apartment the rent will be much higher than what you pay now so the natural progression is that everything will cost more and that is part of the complaint isn't it?

So what are you gaining by moving to a bigger more expensive place?

Maybe it would help if i mention that its a two bedroom *basement* apartment that is partially above ground level? Meaning its smaller than your average two bedroom apartment above ground level. The living room is small, ceilings are low, bathroom is small with no ventilation/window. We only have two windows. Closet space also sucks big time.

Its all for $1200 month with everything included. Plus side, its in a good neighborhood with a nice landlord. However, I've recently seen some two beds for $1200-$1350 in the bronx that are not basement apartments and have more space than where we're at.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,635,084 times
The MSW is being paid for by the Union and not some particular employer, Correct?

Wanting to leave NYC and actually doing it is not the same. IMO you should let your wife start researching where she wants to move to and find out how transportable her job is. By the time she actually finishes her research, it may be two years so just go along with it IMO the children should finish HS before moving since other states follow the HS curriculum in different manners and the child may be traumatized by it and losing friends. As to you, see how much of your degree can be done online to speed it up.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,185,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycotherapist View Post
My wife and I have been together for seven years now. We love each other very much and have a great relationship. We have two kids.

Thing is, she's tired of NYC, how expensive it is, tired of the stupid MTA as well. She can't stand her job but feels too comfortable to find another. I'm also tired of NYC as well, but I'm trying to be smart about this. We both work in healthcare, but I'm the one who is going back to school for a masters degree, one that my job is paying for, because I feel like at LEAST one of us should have some kind of degree. She doesn't want to go back, so I stepped up to the plate. I don't really want to do it, I have zero desire but I'm doing it for our survival. Anyway, I'll be done in 4 years time.

Yeah, moving to another city is fun and all once you settle in, but I really don't think she thinks about the process of getting to that point (saving enough money, finding an apartment first, THEN finding a job, etc). So if we move, I would like to move out with a degree in my pocket for job marketability purposes. I don't want to keep working as a phlebotomist when I move, I can't even find a 2nd job as a phlebotomist right now in NY so imagine when we move.

I calmly told her I feel like I'm being pressured and I hate to feel as if I'm holding her back when I'm doing this for the both of us. She apologizes and says she doesn't mean to pressure me but she's so sick of NYC and how expensive it is getting. I feel the same, but again I'm trying to play this the smart way with the degree. We have a cheap two bedroom apartment we've been living in for some time but it's very small. We are planning to move to a bigger two/three bedroom next year in NY. I don't know if the apartment upgrade will help ease her a little bit? I mean I hope it will.

But like I said, she's not nagging about the moving thing, it just comes up like every couple of months or so. Any advice? Should I just finish up my associate's here and transfer to another school in whatever city we end up in?
Your wife should "man up" and just take it for a few more years. You are getting a masters at a low cost and your living situation while not ideal is manageable and affordable. I wouldn't even move. It seems like your doing it to appease her even though she's complaining about high costs yet you have a cheap apartment and that is contradictory on her part. If you can get the same price for a bigger apartment then yeah of course you should move.

When you have your masters and both of you are in healthcare you will hopefully have plenty of options on where you want to relocate. One thing though, a lot of companies when they pay for your degree they expect you to stay at least a couple of years, do you know if that is the case?

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-03-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The MSW is being paid for by the Union and not some particular employer, Correct?

Wanting to leave NYC and actually doing it is not the same. IMO you should let your wife start researching where she wants to move to and find out how transportable her job is. By the time she actually finishes her research, it may be two years so just go along with it IMO the children should finish HS before moving since other states follow the HS curriculum in different manners and the child may be traumatized by it and losing friends. As to you, see how much of your degree can be done online to speed it up.
You can also take classes during summer and winter semesters.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,635,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You can also take classes during summer and winter semesters.
In my experience, I wouldn't. Everyone needs down time where the bare minimum is done for the mind to relax.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:22 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,519,964 times
Does your wife have a specific place in mind that she wants to move to? Has she done the research to find out the cost of living in that particular city, job prospects, apartment prospects etc... and how you are going to do all of this while putting two children through college? Once she starts to do some research, she may see that it might pay to wait to move or that there are some concrete steps that she can take before moving (like continuing her own education or getting a different job).

Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In my experience, I wouldn't. Everyone needs down time where the bare minimum is done for the mind to relax.
The summer semesters aren't that bad. At least in CUNY. You can take a class in June and still have a couple of months free before the fall semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: