Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times

Advertisements

Drive + JFK = Queens.

What does the wife do again for a living.

Safe neighborhoods come from good people. Are you a good person or just an yellow bellied coward. For my wife I would move to an cowardly place, but otherwise ........

Sounds like you want to move to the cowardly place called queens. Where everybody has a car and a house. It is also extremely close to JFK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Kew Gardens is I believe where pilots and airline personnel from JFK get their crash pad apartments, so I am assuming it's a relatively easy trip to the JFK area by car. (You can Google map it and click the directions tab). It's also a fairly quiet neighborhood, and it also has good public transit options.

Here's a recent article about it. City Living: Kew Gardens is tucked away yet central with a young, laid-back vibe | am New York Also if you Google "Living in Kew Gardens" you should find some articles from the NY Times, but they might be older and rent info would be out of date.

I don't know for sure how much a one bedroom is, maybe $1600 to $1800. You could try some sites like streeteasy to get an idea of rental costs.

Here's what an a/c window unit looks like after it's been mounted on brackets in a brick building. These types of buildings are very common in Kew Gardens and other neighborhoods. So you go to Home Depot or Loews, buy an a/c and install it out your window with a bracket. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/...68a3178b_b.jpg

Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Btw, if you are going to be keeping a car in any city neighborhood that has good public transit, expect street parking to be difficult. Also you might have to deal with alternate side parking rules (you can Google that to learn the rules). To be on the safe side, you might want to build $150 to $200 extra per month into your budget to pay for a driveway or garage space.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 PM

575 posts, read 672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Btw, if you are going to be keeping a car in any city neighborhood that has good public transit, expect street parking to be difficult. Also you might have to deal with alternate side parking rules (you can Google that to learn the rules). To be on the safe side, you might want to build $150 to $200 extra per month into your budget to pay for a driveway or garage space.
Add for fines when you don't move your car at the required times/days. LOL

Old 08-02-2015, 10:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr55 View Post
Looking to move to NYC w/i the next 6-8 months and was hoping to get some guidance in a few areas.

Just a little background: I have multiple degrees in accounting and will be a CPA before moving, so getting a solid job isn't much of a concern (especially since inter-firm transfers are a pretty solid option for me). Salary probably around $60K, but that is pure estimate. Wife will most likely make $35-40Kish, again just an estimate. Both estimates based on current salaries in non-NYC locations with an approximate 10% increase for NYC COL (current combined salary is approximately $85K).

Main concern is finding a very safe, relatively affordable neighborhood to live in when/if we move. Wife would work relatively close to JFK and would like to be able to drive vs. public transportation. I would work in the city and have no problem w/ public transportation. Obviously, finding a super safe neighborhood that accommodates a short drive to JFK and short train ride to the city is probably, in my estimation, a fantasy the likes of which Disney movies can only hope to achieve. As such, I'm willing to suffer a sizable commute to ensure a safe neighborhood and easy commute for the bride (we both decided public transportation isn't an option for her).

As for budget, we would like a nice apartment, but quality is second to safety. I'm sure it goes without saying we don't want to live in a dump, but luxury apartments are certainly not a must--but a building with A/C is must. Definitely a must. Trying to be realistic w/ regards to budget--thinking $1,500 a mo for a 1-bed, is this reasonable? Would like a suburban feel--family oriented, access to grocery stores, etc. I would like some guidance because I'm not from the area and really don't know where to even start. I've done significant research about living in/near NYC but nothing quite answered all my questions. Hopefully I can get some great guidance here. Thanks in advance.
So, why would you move to NYC with a combined salary of $85k when you can stay back where you are or move to somewhere with a lower cost of living. You will feel the squeeze everywhere making that kind of money which is basically teacher's salaries.

I know folks making $85k alone and moved down south and are making the same there yet feels like they've gotten a bonus because of lower cost of living and life down in urban southern cities ain't that bad compared to NYC.

$1500/month 1 bed is do-able but it's not like your 1-bed in other states. It will be a cramped 1-bed and probably minuscule bathroom and noisy areas.

Living in NYC is not fantasy. It's somewhere closer to hell than heaven.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I would say Kew Gardens, Forest Hills or Rego Park all in Queens.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Have you though about Long Island...specifically Nassau county? You could get a nice safe place within your budget. JFK area is 20 minutes away and you can jump on the Long Island Railroad system for a 1/2 ride into Manhattan. Nice areas in Nassau would be Lynbrook, east rockaway, long beach, Oceanside, Rockville center, Baldwin and Bally stream.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 AM

462 posts, read 549,656 times
Agree with reenzz, I would try Nassau County for the more suburban feel, only thing is the LIRR is an expensive commute.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Just note that she's not really going to get a "suburban feel" driving to anywhere in the vicinity of JFK.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just note that she's not really going to get a "suburban feel" driving to anywhere in the vicinity of JFK.
Yeah. For a true suburban feel you really need to go deep into Nassau to see bigger and more beautiful homes with well maintained yards. JFK is close to a lot of poor neighborhoods like Ozone Park, Richmond Hill, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City