Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,451 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to NYC w/i the next 6-8 months and was hoping to get some guidance in a few areas.

Just a little background: I have multiple degrees in accounting and will be a CPA before moving, so getting a solid job isn't much of a concern (especially since inter-firm transfers are a pretty solid option for me). Salary probably around $60K, but that is pure estimate. Wife will most likely make $35-40Kish, again just an estimate. Both estimates based on current salaries in non-NYC locations with an approximate 10% increase for NYC COL (current combined salary is approximately $85K).

Main concern is finding a very safe, relatively affordable neighborhood to live in when/if we move. Wife would work relatively close to JFK and would like to be able to drive vs. public transportation. I would work in the city and have no problem w/ public transportation. Obviously, finding a super safe neighborhood that accommodates a short drive to JFK and short train ride to the city is probably, in my estimation, a fantasy the likes of which Disney movies can only hope to achieve. As such, I'm willing to suffer a sizable commute to ensure a safe neighborhood and easy commute for the bride (we both decided public transportation isn't an option for her).

As for budget, we would like a nice apartment, but quality is second to safety. I'm sure it goes without saying we don't want to live in a dump, but luxury apartments are certainly not a must--but a building with A/C is must. Definitely a must. Trying to be realistic w/ regards to budget--thinking $1,500 a mo for a 1-bed, is this reasonable? Would like a suburban feel--family oriented, access to grocery stores, etc. I would like some guidance because I'm not from the area and really don't know where to even start. I've done significant research about living in/near NYC but nothing quite answered all my questions. Hopefully I can get some great guidance here. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr55 View Post
Looking to move to NYC w/i the next 6-8 months and was hoping to get some guidance in a few areas.

Just a little background: I have multiple degrees in accounting and will be a CPA before moving, so getting a solid job isn't much of a concern (especially since inter-firm transfers are a pretty solid option for me). Salary probably around $60K, but that is pure estimate. Wife will most likely make $35-40Kish, again just an estimate. Both estimates based on current salaries in non-NYC locations with an approximate 10% increase for NYC COL (current combined salary is approximately $85K).

Main concern is finding a very safe, relatively affordable neighborhood to live in when/if we move. Wife would work relatively close to JFK and would like to be able to drive vs. public transportation. I would work in the city and have no problem w/ public transportation. Obviously, finding a super safe neighborhood that accommodates a short drive to JFK and short train ride to the city is probably, in my estimation, a fantasy the likes of which Disney movies can only hope to achieve. As such, I'm willing to suffer a sizable commute to ensure a safe neighborhood and easy commute for the bride (we both decided public transportation isn't an option for her).

As for budget, we would like a nice apartment, but quality is second to safety. I'm sure it goes without saying we don't want to live in a dump, but luxury apartments are certainly not a must--but a building with A/C is must. Definitely a must. Trying to be realistic w/ regards to budget--thinking $1,500 a mo for a 1-bed, is this reasonable? Would like a suburban feel--family oriented, access to grocery stores, etc. I would like some guidance because I'm not from the area and really don't know where to even start. I've done significant research about living in/near NYC but nothing quite answered all my questions. Hopefully I can get some great guidance here. Thanks in advance.
Most NYC apartment minus the ones that are newer use window AC units so as long as you go and buy one you will have one.
Why is the bride so opposed to the train to JFK. Live on the A line in brooklyn and its a quick trip via the A and Air shuttle.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:04 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
I would say Forest Hills, it'd give you the E, M, F, and R trains. I can't speak for the parking, but driving to JFK should be easy. There's also Kew Gardens with the E and F trains if you find yourself outpriced in Forest Hills. Both areas are safe and family friendly from my experience (more so in certain parts of the neighborhood than others of course). You might even enjoy the suburban feel to them!

Though possibly outdated, here's a fun one: 83rd Ave, Kew Gardens, NY | Rental | Powered by Postlets

I think the income uncertainty will be a bigger deal, however. You'll need proof of income in most situations.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 5,451 times
Quote:
Why is the bride so opposed to the train to JFK.
She's not actually going to JFK--it would be near JFK. Plus, she doesn't want a "big city" experience--more of a suburban feel, which includes driving to work. Thanks for the advice though. Can you explain the buying an A/C thing a little more? Perhaps it's my ignorance, but I live in a building now with window units but I didn't have to buy it. Again, excuse any ignorance. Thank you.

Quote:
I think the income uncertainty will be a bigger deal, however. You'll need proof of income in most situations.
I wouldn't move to the apt w/o a job offer w/ salary info and my current salary, I would think, would be sufficient to rent. Assuming I'm wrong, are there ways to get around this? Perhaps putting down a larger deposit?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 PM

575 posts, read 672,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr55 View Post
Main concern is finding a very safe, relatively affordable neighborhood to live in when/if we move. Wife would work relatively close to JFK and would like to be able to drive vs. public transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Most NYC apartment minus the ones that are newer use window AC units so as long as you go and buy one you will have one.
Why is the bride so opposed to the train to JFK. Live on the A line in brooklyn and its a quick trip via the A and Air shuttle.
My question is how "close is "close to JFK"? The A train to the Airtran is not applicable if she is not at the airport. She can always Uber X it for an $8 minimum fee. I far prefer Uber to cabs but I prefer the subway over everything else for my needs. And she can always use a car service like Northside, which is who I prefer. Uber is better for short trips but Northside beats them at some point. Parking is the big thing. Not sure of the parking situation in the JFK area as I don't go to that area except to fly and I use a car service. LOL

But if you are going to live in NYC, you both had better get used to the Subways. I would for sure suggest getting close to some Metro Station. During tax season you won't be home early. LOL. And the weather sucks a lot so getting close to public transportation I feel is a must.

The A goes closer than the other trains to JFK, but the C and the 3 get reasonably close.

Good luck

Last edited by TotalKaos; 08-02-2015 at 08:36 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 PM

457 posts, read 737,022 times
JFK is not in a safe area but if you want to live close to JFK, the rents will be cheap and reasonable. The thing about NYC is that the rents drop in price when the area becomes more dangerous. I'd suggest you live somewhere like Elmhurst where you are at the express stop for the E and F train which takes you to JFK airport and takes you to Manhattan in the opposite direction. Best thing is both trains are express and you should be in Manhattan after 2 stops I believe.

If you want to be in an area with a bit more to do, you should try Astoria or Sunnyside, but the rents are a little more expensive. For the price range you suggested on rent, you'll most likely have to do a studio. You can definitely do a 1 bedroom in your range but you'll have to rent a first floor of a house. Don't worry about getting the full city experience because if you are not living in Manhattan, you'll feel like your in the suburbs where it is quiet, you can relax, and actually use your car to drive around. You'll only get the full city experience if you live in Manhattan.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Middle Village, Glendale, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Briarwood or Howard Beach. Maybe Ridgewood, Woodhaven or Richmond Hill as well.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 PM

457 posts, read 737,022 times
OP,

Out of the neighborhoods listed by G-Dale, the only safe ones are Middle Village, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens and that's it. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
OP,

Out of the neighborhoods listed by G-Dale, the only safe ones are Middle Village, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens and that's it. Good luck.
All the neighborhoods listed in my first sentence are perfectly safe. Those listed in my second sentence are safe as well, just down a tier from the others.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:47 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
[quote=vr55;40669033]Can you explain the buying an A/C thing a little more? Perhaps it's my ignorance, but I live in a building now with window units but I didn't have to buy it. Again, excuse any ignorance. Thank you. QUOTE]

Go to a place like Home depot
Window Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners & Coolers - *The Home Depot
You buy an AC and place it in your window. When you move you take it with you.
Some buildings require the landlord or Super to install it. If thats the case you may want tip them

Also NYC buildings require a bracket for the AC to rest on
DuctlessAire 9000 - 12000 BTU Outdoor Wall Mounting Bracket for Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps Universal-BPC-2S - The Home Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City