Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
The problem is that they tried to re renovate the ghetto and move higher class people in that can't afford to live in Midtown. Costco or not. 125th st is still 125th st.

Now most of the renovation still consisted around people who have been getting section 8 housing for years. But the building management is still charging new renters triple the rent.

I would rather live in Hoboken and take the path train to work rather than living in the bronx harlem Spanish harlem etc.

Especially if I make 70k a year but my neighbor is a crack head that collects welfare. Jmo
Wow your post comes off as incredibly entitled...what makes you think you're entitled to live in Midtown just because you're not "ghetto" or whatever?

Many people (a LOT) enjoy living in uptown Manhattan/outer boroughs for reasons other than comparatively low rents anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Wow your post comes off as incredibly entitled...what makes you think you're entitled to live in Midtown just because you're not "ghetto" or whatever?

Many people (a LOT) enjoy living in uptown Manhattan/outer boroughs for reasons other than comparatively low rents anyway.
Right, not to mention that plenty of crackheads and methheads live in Hoboken. But, to that poster, drugs are only a black problem

Old 08-05-2015, 07:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnova View Post
This may sound insensitive or over critical, but am I the only one who thinks that NYC is the worst place for middle income families? I studied hard as a child to get into a good college, studied hard, got a decent job in the city, and yet am still struggling to make it. .
It's not that it sounds insensitive, it just sounds like you're not responsible enough to make the right kinds of compromises required by any resident of NYC who is not rich.

You say you pay $3500 for a one bedroom in Manhattan. Whose fault is that that you chose to spend $3500 on a one bedroom there instead of moving to a more affordable neighborhood where you can get a one bedroom for $1800 or $2000 and still take the train to your job and anything else you might need in Manhattan?

I don't get it. You're crying and weeping over the people next to you who won a housing lottery. What's next, are you going to cry about the people who won actual lotteries and now have one million extra bucks in their pocket?

NYC is not the best place to live or move to if you're middle class AND if you don't understand how to make compromises AND understand why you're living in NYC in the first place. It simply sounds like you should move to a more affordable place. And stop complaining.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's not that it sounds insensitive, it just sounds like you're not responsible enough to make the right kinds of compromises required by any resident of NYC who is not rich.

You say you pay $3500 for a one bedroom in Manhattan. Whose fault is that that you chose to spend $3500 on a one bedroom there instead of moving to a more affordable neighborhood where you can get a one bedroom for $1800 or $2000 and still take the train to your job and anything else you might need in Manhattan?

I don't get it. You're crying and weeping over the people next to you who won a housing lottery. What's next, are you going to cry about the people who won actual lotteries and now have one million extra bucks in their pocket?

NYC is not the best place to live or move to if you're middle class AND if you don't understand how to make compromises AND understand why you're living in NYC in the first place. It simply sounds like you should move to a more affordable place. And stop complaining.
And this is one of the more (if not the most reasonable) responses I've read in this thread. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
Yeah, because the ruling class is on a mission to eliminate the middle class in america, and they rule the corporate world from manhattan.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:

I ALSO MIGHT LOSE THE RIGHT TO BARE ARMS IN THIS STATE.
Heck, if you have nice biceps, by all mean show them.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM

100 posts, read 89,835 times
to survive you dont need study hard. You need hire somebody.
the main middle class mistake - they think education is the way to good life.
to became a rich you need somebodies time.

marrige, mortgage, kids when you dont have a money for nany - all this pretty sweet things kill you future.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM

NYC is huge with different parts having different cultures and costs of living. So, no, I don't think its fair to state that NYC is the worst place for the middle class. Depending on where you live in NYC, you can get a good price on rent, buy cheap groceries, etc. Not to mention that you have access to good, cheap (especially compared to some other cities) public transportation options. Now, if you're middle class trying to enjoy a wealthy lifestyle/live outside of your means, then, yes, things will be pretty bad for you. But that's the case anywhere.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:28 PM

432 posts, read 551,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
NYC is huge with different parts having different cultures and costs of living. So, no, I don't think its fair to state that NYC is the worst place for the middle class. Depending on where you live in NYC, you can get a good price on rent, buy cheap groceries, etc. Not to mention that you have access to good, cheap (especially compared to some other cities) public transportation options. Now, if you're middle class trying to enjoy a wealthy lifestyle/live outside of your means, then, yes, things will be pretty bad for you. But that's the case anywhere.
It all depends on your definition of "middle class".

Old 08-05-2015, 05:17 PM

457 posts, read 736,954 times
I think anyone who is 22 with a college degree that makes 35K and up is considered middle class. That is if he doesn't owe any money in school loans and doesn't have any credit card debt as well.

As for the OP, 3,500 in rent is a bit extravagant. I don't think anyone should ever spend that kind of money on rent unless they make 200K plus. How does anyone save spending that on rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: