Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 AM

577 posts, read 669,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Well, truth be told you probably live in a more civilized country than this one. America is full of virtually all of the worst kinds of people you'll find anywhere in the world and especially so in the larger cities.
He's from the UK, so no. Over there, people don't say "sir" or "ma'am", don't say "Excuse me" when they barge past you in a supermarket, and if you say "hi" to a cashier or bar staff, don't expect any response. That's not to mention the drunk thugs roaming around at night. Americans aren't worse than any other country. NYC is just a bad example because of the nature of it. It's a place people go to to live their own personal dream of making it big. Hence why LA has a similar attitude. If you're not helping someone with their life, they're not going to have time for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Well, truth be told you probably live in a more civilized country than this one. America is full of virtually all of the worst kinds of people you'll find anywhere in the world and especially so in the larger cities.

Don't let New York give you a total picture of the U.S. though...it's really a unique place in the world and is not a very representative example of how it is in the majority of America.
Yeah i've been to 9 states and I personally have witnessed widely ranging levels of culture and customer service. Most of the customer service was A grade outside New York.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
To be fair, customer service in America as a whole is a lot better than the UK. NYC can be bad compared with anywhere though, even London. Needless to say, if it's at a bar or restaurant, or a taxi, you're not getting tipped by me if there's not at least the bare minimum of civility. I don't want to hear the excuse of "I'm tired, I had a bad day" or whatever. Even on my worst days, when a loved one has died or I've been traveling for 24 hours, I can still say "please" and "thank you". If their favorite celebrity came in to their place of work, I bet these people would quickly become more accommodating.

Whatever though, if they're that bad they're already probably living an awful life with zero friends.
On the first day we arrived in Washington DC we were attacked by an Indian taxi driver and physically thrown out of the car because we did not give him a tip. We were jet lagged and we actually forgot to give him a tip!

He didn't even say to us what the issue was! Instead screaming about how "this is America" and we "pay our bills" yeah so obviously in the UK we're a third world country. Funny how I just flew to DC Of course I know it's America, I obviously pay my bills otherwise I wouldn't get there.

The taxi was enough anyway, it was $70 just for a 30 minute ride!

I think I might actually lodge a complaint on that taxi driver just for the sake of it. I know the car and the company.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have been to different parts of America. I have to say that the worst customer service experience I have had is in NYC. From the MTA to seats at the Garden, to fast food restaurants. NYC will always hold a place in my heart for worst customer service. Its just the nature of the city that this stuff takes place in. I'm not sure its do to poor subway service, relationship issues, not enough sex, not enough money or what. Certain things put workers off and use it against customers. The only thing I love about gentrification is that in these bars and restaurants the waiters, hostess and bartenders are transplants and not native New Yorkers or longtime New Yorkers who can be pretty abrasive with attitudes. Some of the best service I received was in Las Vegas where at ARbys the clerk gave me 2 extra burgers and returned my change, and in Miami where I found an hair on my bed, and the hotel gave me a voucher to stay another night, free bottle of red wine, and a free dinner.
Yes Florida has absolutely fabulous customer service. We go there again and again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: