Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:36 PM

481 posts, read 427,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Leasing Begins for New York’s First Micro-Apartments

"Renters will pay a premium for a furnished unit. For example, a furnished 355-square-foot apartment on the second floor is listed at $2,910, while an unfurnished 360-square foot unit on the same floor is listed for $2,750 — a $160-a-month discount. The lowest-priced unit listed, at $2,540, is a furnished 265-square foot studio on the third floor. The remaining market-rate units, including a 323-square-foot studio on the eighth floor, with a 268-square-foot terrace, will become available over the next few weeks, and priced based on how quickly the first apartments rent, according to a spokeswoman for the developer."
It's almost like renting a $100 per night hotel/hostel room (sans continental breakfast). How very chic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
It's almost like renting a $100 per night hotel/hostel room (sans continental breakfast). How very chic.
Yeah, or a $36,000 per year hotel room

Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, or a $36,000 per year hotel room
Yup. This is exactly the analogy my husband used to convince me to switch from being renters in Manhattan to being owners up the road over the bridge.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Yup. This is exactly the analogy my husband used to convince me to switch from being renters in Manhattan to being owners up the road over the bridge.
It's funny how $100 per night sounds so reasonable, while $36,000 per year sounds astronomical.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
It's funny how $100 per night sounds so reasonable, while $36,000 per year sounds astronomical.
Well, turning those numbers over yet again that's about $18 an hour (I think)...so it probably is out there for many.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:50 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
They should go back to the old legal limit: 400 square feet in order to be habitable.

People should not be housed in prison sized cells just because greedy developers can buy mayors. (The 27th street building is being built under an exemption granted under Bloomberg.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. People are not meant to be crammed into a small space to live. It's not good psychologically. The story used to justify it is "Many New Yorker's are never home anyway" along with the developers need for buckets of $$$. A person needs a space to stretch out and relax away from crowds, noise etc.

They will just keep building anyway though.
That may be true for you guys but for many others, it is not. We're not talking about cramming a family of ten into a one bedroom like the turn of the 20th century. These are small apartments for single people or couples. It's their own place with lots of privacy. They have their own kitchen, bathroom, living space, etc. It's actually more comfortable than, say, sharing.

And unlike you guys, many others don't have psychological problems with being in small spaces. For example, I live in a rooming house, however, whenever I'm home, I LIKE to hang out in my room. All the extra space in the rest of the house (living room, dining room, porch, etc) actually has no purpose for me. Just more wasted space that gets little use but still need to be heated/cooled and cleaned nevertheless.

On top of that, many Manhattanites have a "on the go" livestyle, where they're only home to sleep. All that extra space might sound good on paper, but in reality it gets little use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My reasoning is to expect, perhaps irrationally, that everyone have decent living conditions. If governments can mandate anti-vermin regulations, the can regulate human scale housing...IF THEY CHOSE.

Because other cities cope with inhumane conditions is not a reason all must.
Kids in Sao Paolo, with 18 million people one of the largest, most crowded city in the world eat garbage in the city's landfills. That should not make landfill shopping a tolerable condition.

Small wonder that this kind of human warehousing was promulgated by Bloomberg, a capitalist tool if ever there was one.
Please. The person you responded to brought up world-class cities, Hong Kong, Paris, Tokyo, etc. not São Paulo, though even there, the wretched condition you cited may only be relegated to the very worst areas. São Paulo is the main economic center of Brazil. In other words, there is a lot more money there than you think. Wealth distribution is more of a socio-economic issue than apartment sizes. And micro units does not = eating garbage from landfills. Ridiculous argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree, not only did Bloomber have a third illegal term, now he is making living standards illegal, well, just for this one.

this micro crap is nothing more than a real estate gimmick to mean studio, and small studio.

this has sent back living standards decades, and are worse than the tenements of the lower east side at the turn of the century.
You are so clueless. Just mouthing off (like many full-time, professional posters in this subsection, I've noticed) based on old, baseless stereotypes. Many of these new micro units are very nice and have all the furnishings and appliances as any of the expensive condos elsewhere. They just have less useless space and make more efficient use of space, like fold out beds and tables. You should read more about them before mouthing off on something you know nothing of.

The world is changing. There are more and more people every day. You might not like that but that is a fact. They need to live somewhere. The days of people living in a large white picket fence house with two cars parked in the driveway is not practical, not to mention environmentally disasterous. People need to live in denser cities with mass transit and in tighter quarters.

More and more Manhattan households are singles or childless couples. Requiring everyone to live in large apartments is outdated and not in keeping with the times.

Last edited by antinimby; 11-21-2015 at 01:21 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 01:01 AM

320 posts, read 283,245 times
Why not just find a dominatrix you masochistic you. Miss Manhattan your master.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:17 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
^^ ugh, please....

forget the micro apartments, just rent a regular studio apt.........

micro, (again, let me mouth off).....is nothing more the a real estate gimmick......

Old 11-21-2015, 08:29 PM

320 posts, read 283,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
^^ ugh, please...
Sorry I was drunk when I wrote that, my point was living in a micro studio just to live in NY is sick. Anyways nightcrawler, when you say "^^ugh, please..." Whats the tone? Are you saying your looking for a masochistic micro apartment as well? you naughty renter you.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:54 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
These should ONLY be allowed for single resident occupancy. NO COUPLES. Married freaks are stealing all the damn studios and one bedrooms in NYC, it's disgusting, and the main reason the rents are so high. Landlords love the two professionals living their studios and one bedrooms, but it puts so much down pressure on people who don't want to live that lifestyle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City