Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:41 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times

Advertisements

I would recommend the walk to work option if you can manage it. I was the happiest in my working life when I could do that. I happen to work right near the UBS building now, coincidentally, but I take two subways to get there. It's not a bad commute by any means, but when I check the MTA app before leaving the house, there is often a delay on one of the lines. It's really a pleasure not to be dependent on the subway system and instead invest in a good pair of comfortable shoes!

Check on Streeteasy for rentals in Midtown, East Midtown, West Midtown, Turtle Bay, Beekman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:06 AM

64 posts, read 69,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I would recommend the walk to work option if you can manage it. I was the happiest in my working life when I could do that. I happen to work right near the UBS building now, coincidentally, but I take two subways to get there. It's not a bad commute by any means, but when I check the MTA app before leaving the house, there is often a delay on one of the lines. It's really a pleasure not to be dependent on the subway system and instead invest in a good pair of comfortable shoes!

Check on Streeteasy for rentals in Midtown, East Midtown, West Midtown, Turtle Bay, Beekman.
I'm trying to find something in the high 40's/50's within 2-3 big blocks from the office. It's pricey! I'm finding a handful of studios at $1900, but I wonder what the "catch" is. $2250 seems to be a more common price point.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
The catch would be that maybe the buildings are older, with fewer amenities. Maybe they're walk-ups. West Midtown (Hell's Kitchen) used to be a cheap area, but it has gone upscale because of new zoning and subsequent construction.

As an alternative, you might want to check out Upper Manhattan, specifically Inwood or Washington Heights. You could probably get a one-bedroom for the price of a studio in midtown. Make sure you're near the A train, though. The No. 1 also runs up there, but it's slower. You would have to switch from the A train to the C at some point to get to the local stop on West 50th Street, though. And then walk two blocks to UBS, but it's an easy stroll.

Maybe other forum members can give you specifics.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:36 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Anywhere where the BDFM are. The F and M tend to be the newer trains of those 4 lines (I think because they go towards the airport and thus they're usually the first trains that tourists travel on?). As far as some neighborhoods, I'd be wary of the commute time. Ridgewood is pleasant, but the commute from there to Midtown is a little long.

Or, as a couple of out-of-towners I ran into the other day called them, the "Orange Line".

Old 08-15-2015, 08:49 AM

64 posts, read 69,736 times
Learning so much about shady realtors and apartment fees now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: