Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:

I hate being smushed against strange men
Of all the things I hate about the subway, that is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 06:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Havent read the whole thread yet but you can either WALK or BIKE.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 AM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
You can use cabs exclusively but it's not cheap.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM

117 posts, read 137,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I live in Brooklyn, work on Long Island, and use the MTA maybe 4-5 times per year when I need to go to Manhattan. I like this lifestyle, but I suppose this isn't the NYC experience most people want.
I use to work by JFK airport while living in Brooklyn. Best lifestyle ever.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:09 PM

193 posts, read 282,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I live in Boston and can't stand taking the T. I hate being smushed against strange men and was molested on crowded public transport as a preteen. I drive, uber, and walk everywhere and I have no desire to change this unless I live in a city with MUCH better public transit that does not get as crowded as Boston's. Could I realistically ever live in NYC?

I'm middle class: salary will stay between 55000-75000 until I'm at least in my 30's.
Depends on where you live and work. If you plan on working and living in the outer boroughs, it's totally doable. My aunt and uncle haven't probably taken public transportation in at least 20 years and they live in Queens. Before my uncle retired, he worked in New Jersey and drove to work. My aunt works at Columbia Presbyterian and drove to work, but now since my uncle is retired, he drops her off and picks her up so she doesn't have to pay for parking. I understand your disdain for public transportation, as I hope to find a new job in either the outer boroughs or the suburbs so I can avoid taking public transportation and just drive to work. Owning a car here will be more expensive than in Boston, but if your rent isn't too expensive and you live in an outer borough with decent street parking, it's plausible. I will say though if you do work in Manhattan particularly downtown, it will be much more difficult. The only way my aunt got away with driving to work at Presbyterian from Queens is because she worked odd hours and parking was better up in Washington Heights compared to downtown. I would just say to suck it up and take public transportation if you plan on working in Manhattan, however if you plan to live, for example further out in Queens, definitely take the LIRR to Manhattan. You probably won't have any other choice anyway since most of Queens isn't served by the subway!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
Just some food for thought- most of the car-friendly locations scattered in the outer reaches of the outer boroughs are not places where people from out of state tend to move to.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:15 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I live in Boston and can't stand taking the T. I hate being smushed against strange men and was molested on crowded public transport as a preteen. I drive, uber, and walk everywhere and I have no desire to change this unless I live in a city with MUCH better public transit that does not get as crowded as Boston's. Could I realistically ever live in NYC?
You could live in one of the outer boroughs, presumably, but why would you want to?

Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Sure it's possible - I've mostly walked to work.

And there are such things as buses, you know.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:15 AM

193 posts, read 282,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
Just some food for thought- most of the car-friendly locations scattered in the outer reaches of the outer boroughs are not places where people from out of state tend to move to.
Valid point. Everyone who moves to NYC from someplace else almost always wants to move to Manhattan or now Brooklyn, but trendy areas like Wiliamsburg. They're just gonna have to understand that the nature of living in NYC is COMPROMISE

Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
It's possible. Is it the most efficient or smartest way? No. But in particular if you don't work in manhattan it's very doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City