Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:00 AM

555 posts, read 616,736 times

Advertisements

My parents dont use smartphones or text, they just need a simple flip phone with unlimited minutes... what are the cheapest plans/carriers for this? They are on a very fixed income.

My mother is paying $40 a month right now but thats too much, thats what I pay for a smartphone with unlimited talk/text/data... they dont need all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 AM

824 posts, read 2,790,795 times
If unlimited minutes are desired, I don't think you're going to find anything much cheaper than $40/month.

However, if you can estimate typical monthly minutes used, and restrict yourself to that, I like Consumer Cellular

https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Plans

Old 08-10-2015, 11:39 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
While I'm not seeing any unlimited talk only plans (just pay as you go plans, which, in my view, aren't worth it for someone who actually talks a decent amount on the phone), H2O Wireless gives you unlimited talk, text, 500mb of data, and $10 of international calling minutes for $30 a month. Note, if you sign up for automatic billing, which I have, you save 10%, and so end up paying $27 for all of the above. See: https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainC...page=planMonth

H2O runs on the AT&T network, so I've found that coverage is really good wherever you go.

Now, OP, if your mother/parents really don't chat much, then a pay as you go plan (H2O also offers these plans) would be cheaper. They start at $10 per card, which last 90 days, and subtract 5 cents per minute and text. Still, if your mother talks more than 400 minutes per month, which is what the next highest pay per minute plan would give you (at $20), then it would probably make more sense to just get an unlimited plan.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
My parents dont use smartphones or text, they just need a simple flip phone with unlimited minutes... what are the cheapest plans/carriers for this? They are on a very fixed income.

My mother is paying $40 a month right now but thats too much, thats what I pay for a smartphone with unlimited talk/text/data... they dont need all that.

My mom is on my plan. I added a line for $9.99. With tax, it's less than $20/month. But she doesn't have unlimited minutes, as that is not what my plan entails. Not sure if you can look into doing something like that on your plan.

And because she is very annoying about birthdays and Christmas, I just pay for the bill as part of her gifts throughout the year. Haha.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:12 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
How often do you think they'll use the phone? Do they need it more for emergencies or if you need to reach them in an emergency? My dad has a simple flip phone that my brother got for him. I want to say it's like $100 for the year with 250 minutes (might even be more). He uses it only when he goes out in case he has to reach us.

I've seen several commercials for "talk only" plans for seniors. Have you looked into pre-paid phones? They're usually simple flip phones and you can re-fill minutes as you need them.

Depending on your carrier, maybe you can add a line for them and get them a regular phone. If your plan has roll over minutes (like AT&T), that may be less expensive than the $40/mo she's paying now.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM

515 posts, read 875,104 times
I switched from my overpriced At&t Iphone contract to metro POS unlimited talk and text a couple of years ago. Best decision I've ever made. It's been saving me 1k+ a year because it's only $25/month. Service is pretty terrible outside of NYC but it has gotten better since tmobile and metro joined forces. The 25/month was a limited time offer and now I believe it's 30/month. Still a great deal for simple people like myself and your parents.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:17 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
thanks for replies, they want unlimited as it will replace their regular phone.

Surprised there aren't many lower cost options for basic cell service.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Great sign that you're getting old: when you remember when phones were ONLY used for talking.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:30 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
thanks for replies, they want unlimited as it will replace their regular phone.

Surprised there aren't many lower cost options for basic cell service.
There are options but they are usually from low budget places like Boost.

The market for stripped down talk and perhaps text only plans is not that great. Much of what there is comes from middle-aged to senior persons. Young people today would rather die than be seen with a flip phone and or talk/text only service. No apps, no Internet and so forth... You'd be laughed out of homeroom or your office busting out with such a phone. Only *young* people know who have such things are for "throw away" situations where they don't care if the thing is lost or stolen. That or people like in the Sopranos who are up to something and need a phone that cannot be traced.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
AARP offers some phone discounts for the retired/older folks. Don't know if they are any better than any other plan you can find somewhere else, but in any case, it might be worth a look. AARP Discounts | Unbeatable Deals and Overwhelming Offers from Exclusive Merchants - AARPdiscounts.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City