Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 7,354 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I was relocating from NYC to the Bronx. I was renting a 1 bedroom apartment, which I had rented for 1 year with a lease ending June 30th. I asked the Landlord if I could stay in the apartment an extra month and a week (until August 7). His response was that I would have to pay rent for July (month-to-month) and he would be keeping the entire deposit (a full month's rent) for the month of August if I did so. The full month of July made sense, however, the full deposit for August seemed ridiculous to me, therefore, I left a message with his agent, stating that I would be out by the 1st of the month (a Saturday), and stay with a friend, to avoid losing my deposit.

Unfortunately, the moving company that was shipping my belongings, did not have an availability until Monday morning (the 3rd). As a result, I was able to put my belongings on the truck, clean the apartment, and return the keys to the building Super by August 3rd.

The Landlord is now stating that he will not return any more than half of my deposit, because he claims that he missed out on rent as a result of my being in the apartment past August 1, which was a Saturday, and thus not a business day.

Quick note on the building: It is a 6 story building with approximately 8 apartments per floor. And the landlord never provided any information about the account the deposit was put in, nor the interest return that it built.

My question is can the Landlord keep half of the deposit, if the apartment was kept in good condition? I understand if he prorates it by those three days, however, keeping half seems a bit excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
That's a landlord for you, he should have prorated the three days from the deposit. Then again he might
say that something was wrong with the apt. Did you take pictures? He sounds like a crook..😎..and might
be testing the water's to see how far he can go. Tell him your going to small claims court for your deposit.
And see what happens good luck...😉.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Be happy he isn't charging you a full months rent. When you need to be out by Aug, that means July 31st not Aug 1st. And you didn't leave until Aug 3rd.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:47 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
The Bronx IS part of NYC.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:51 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Be happy he isn't charging you a full months rent. When you need to be out by Aug, that means July 31st not Aug 1st. And you didn't leave until Aug 3rd.
I agree. Although, if the OP is paying half a month's rent, then the OP should have demanded to have access to the apartment for half of August.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 PM

There is no other party. He made no effort to rent out the apartment. I made it clear he was open to show it, however there was no effort made. He originally claimed I was there until August 7, via his rental management company. However, when they checked with the super he realized he was wrong.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
The Bronx IS part of NYC.
My apologies, I mean from NYC in the Bronx. Not to the Bronx.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
The company made no effort to rent out the apartment. Procedure in that building is to prepare the apartment, via paint and inspection before renting it out. However, no effort was made by the management company to get either done, nor was a walk through performed. Instead, I was simply sent the next bill for the month of August, as if it was expected that I would be staying, regardless of notification to the contrary.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawthorne18 View Post
There is no other party. He made no effort to rent out the apartment. I made it clear he was open to show it, however there was no effort made. He originally claimed I was there until August 7, via his rental management company. However, when they checked with the super he realized he was wrong.
You don't know that. For all we know, someone could have called on August 1 and asked if the apartment was ready to move in now and he had to turn them down because you were still there and had not returned the keys. I'm not saying that this did, in fact, happen, but just that you seem to rule it out without much evidence to support doing so.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 PM

931 posts, read 801,748 times
OP, the reason why the LL did not pro-rate August rent is because all leases start on the first of the month. Its very rare to rent the apartment in the middle of the month as people usually looking for places to live have leases ending at the end of the month with the 1st of the month being the move in date at the new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City