Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 PM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for date ideas for this Saturday. Hope someone here can give me some ideas. I worked in Manhattan for a few years but was married at the time so did not socialize much outside of work.

To give you an idea of interests I'm 46, taking out a woman in her 40s who has not spent much time in the city. She's a bit of a free spirit. More comfortable with friends on the beach with a cocktail than in a museum. She's easy going and would enjoy herself in most settings.

We're driving in from CT. I'm thinking we'll catch an evening show, maybe a matinee if we stay over until Sunday. But looking for ideas for Saturday afternoon.

Any recommendations on where to eat and have a few cocktails? A rooftop bar or restaurant with a view would be ideal. Any ideas for things to do in the afternoon, we both enjoy music? Also, any hotel recommendations? Cost is a factor but not a deal breaker if the experience is exceptional.

I appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:36 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
As you drive, listen to music from Woodstock bands or the artists like Janice Joplin, Gracie Slick, Joan Baez, Jimmy Hendrix, RIchie Havens, Crosby Stills Nash, Santana, Arlo Guthrie and so many others to enjoy. I think you'd get points for playing a lot of the female singers.

It's the 46th anniversary.

Fringe Festival is on this weekend and beyond, see Fringenyc.org

These are edgey choices in all categories of performing arts- music, dance, comedy and more. It's hard to recommend this or that show, because everyone does their own research to find a company, synopsis and location they'd enjoy.

These are tiny shows scattered all over the city, many by new or less experienced artists. I plugged in Saturday afternoon in Dance and saw some choices. Not knowing what anyone likes, I thought maybe the Japanese one sounded interesting and it puts you on St. Marks in the LES, so a nice starting point for your day.

I suggest you look at the site in all the categories; plug in Saturday afternoon and see what appeals to you. Also look at the map of venues to be sure you'll like the neighborhood as a start to your weekend. It's all experimental new acts, nothing famous or established, but you'd get credit for being innovative.

Be forewarned: Some "Fringe Festival" shows are great, others really suck. Try to research your choice well in advance. These arent' shows others have seen or reviewed, so you're taking a chance.

If that's too uncertain for you, try finding an Off-Broadway or Broadway show that sounds good to you. Use Theatermania.com to research a Saturday matinee. Read synopsis, reviews and compare seating availability.

ETA, another idea: look at this modest venue for Saturday afternoon and see if any of those musicians appeal to you. Rockwood Music Hall - Upcoming Performances

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 08-12-2015 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: