Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:53 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

High rents are making things tough all over it seems.

Laundromats Shrink From Parts of NYC - WSJ

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...mats-disappear

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...romat-standing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 05:35 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
No wonder I see so many sh!tstains on men's briefs as they walk down the street.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
The article mentions apps like Washio and Cleanly. I guess if you have the money to live in Manhattan, you have a smart phone and the extra money to pay for things like Washio and Cleanly. Maybe even a doorman to accept your clean laundry when it gets delivered.

To be more useful, the maps provided should show you the number of residents without access to laundry in their home or building vs the number of laundromats in that area. I know that's probably impossible data to collect, so they did the best they could.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
To be more useful, the maps provided should show you the number of residents without access to laundry in their home or building vs the number of laundromats in that area. I know that's probably impossible data to collect, so they did the best they could.
This is important, since I am pretty sure all new buildings come with laundry facilities either inside the apartment or the building itself, the number of people that need a laundromat slowly goes down.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
The poor will be forced to hand wash or carry loads of laundry on the subway to the nearest river.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
The poor will be forced to hand wash or carry loads of laundry on the subway to the nearest river.
I once lived in an apartment where the nearest laundry mat was 10 blocks away. Not only was it far but I was never home the hours it was open. I worked 7 days a week at low paying jobs I didn't have money to pay to have it done so I hand washed. I got all the supplies I need to like they used back in the day and would fill my tub and beat my laundry clean. I must say washing machines don't come close to cleaning clothes as well as I did but who has the time for it.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:05 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This is important, since I am pretty sure all new buildings come with laundry facilities either inside the apartment or the building itself, the number of people that need a laundromat slowly goes down.
You do realize that outside of the lucky few to win "affordable" apartment lotteries and or those paying market rate not every rental building has or allows washers and dryers.

That being said you are speaking to a vast number of Manhattan residents alone who require laundromats. In fact know of persons who do have laundry facilities in their building that prefer laundrymats.

Many landlords aren't doing their building's residents any favors by installing washers and dryers. Equipment is often old/outdated and or not always working. That or there simply isn't enough capacity for everyone in the building. Worse many properties install top-loading washing machines which are inferior to front loading. If you have anything bulky and or very large load you are going to want a large or super capacity commercial front loader.

West Side Rag » MORNING BULLETIN: THE LAUNDROMAT SHORTAGE, RENT HIKES

Old 08-17-2015, 08:32 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
S K I D. R O W. It ain't just in LA anymore.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:07 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
I use to have my own basement laundromat before I moved. It's a huge plus.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:11 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Many landlords aren't doing their building's residents any favors by installing washers and dryers. Equipment is often old/outdated and or not always working. That or there simply isn't enough capacity for everyone in the building. Worse many properties install top-loading washing machines which are inferior to front loading. If you have anything bulky and or very large load you are going to want a large or super capacity commercial front loader.
this.

i lived in a building for 3.5 years (moved out to brighton beach now few months back) which had a laundry room. it was total GARBAGE. some crap machines from the mid 2000s, overpriced and underperforming. basically a home machine (all top load of course) modified with a coin intake. i walked 10 blocks to do the laundry at 5 am every saturday morning for 3.5 years, and most of that was in the freezing winter time, even with snow. why? the machines. the commercial machines were newer and wash far better. now i stay in a small place which has two laundry facilities about 5 mins. away from me. well one is a 2 min. walk and the other is about 3 min. roughly equidistant. their machines are far superior to what i have seen in buildings before when i rented in mid 2000s that had their own basements of laundry machines.

also i don't think i have seen a single self service laundromat at battery park or lower manhattan (the fidi area). i know families live there and it's not just workers.

also i have never used drop off service in my life. why? they will damage (likelier) or lose your clothing and try not to pay you for it. they also use the worst lowest quality detergents.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 08-18-2015 at 01:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: